It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have New Scientific Discoveries Made A Believer Of You?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I rarely believe what "Scientific Evidence" points out. Far too many times Academia has lied to us about things and lied to us about the History of mankind. If something doesn't fit within their belief systems, then its ignored. If something defies earthy logic, then its ignored some more.

Something is going on with this whole UFO/ET subject and its been going on for a long long time. Its hard to ignore, so I keep an open mind regarding the subject.
edit on 22-12-2014 by Bloodydagger because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 08:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555

originally posted by: smurfy
The OP did not really ask about alien visits, but given that alien life does exist, there is no room to be a skeptic of any 'visitation' at all in our limited terms because we simply do not know.

My take on the question is also based on the forum it's posted in. Otherwise this would be a topic for Space Exploration.

No room to be a skeptic when as you admit, we do not know?

Skeptic does not mean that when proof is presented a person will not then become a believer. I was simply answering the question honestly. I do not disbelieve but have yet to see proof to make me believe.

That's where I differ as I too was answering honestly believe it or not. It's nothing to do with romanticism either, but perhaps more to do with our use of logic versus the inexplicable as if one is an answer to the other, when it clearly is not.

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 10:29 PM
link   
I've been pretty sure life existed elsewhere in the universe since I was a kid.

Now why would it be necessary to spend all that money to come out and say such an obvious thing. They really do not have any real evidence that intelligent life exists anywhere in the universe.

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 10:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Titor86

I know there's life somewhere else. The same conditions are somewhere else that sparked life. To think otherwise is hubris. Do I believe that alien life has visited our world? No, not until I see it personally. I need proof but who am I anyway.

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 03:06 AM
link   
I suspect that simple life-forms exist EVERYWHERE.Except on stars.

Fungi need neither light nor oxygen.

Bacteria and viruses(should that be "vira"?)may be piggybacking meteors or simply sitting,bored,in space.

In a billions-of-years-old universe,is it even feasible to assume that only Earth harbours life?

As for aliens visiting us...no.I don't know what's going on there.I need more information.

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 03:49 AM
link   

I think there are far more believers than non believers about the premise that intelligent life exists outside our solar sytem beyond the Oort cloud.

But what if intelligent life once existed between Kuiper Belt en Oort cloud. When will the real rulers tell us all they know?

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 07:13 AM
link   
I have always thought there was life elsewhere in the universe but because of the lack of real contact has me wondering if we are the most intelligent life out there right now, I mean, someone has to be first right? I don't believe that is the case but have always wondered what if we are the first intelligent life to develop? Anyway, nothing yet has changed my view that there is other life out there - just the sheer number of stars we can see is enough for me to believe that someone or something is out there. Whether it is anything like us, who knows but I doubt they are anything like us. If they are more advanced and anything like us, they have already destroyed themselves. We are doing it to ourselves so I have to believe that any life out there that is vastly more intelligent would have nothing like human nature and our propensity for self destruction.

Just my thoughts

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 07:20 AM
link   
I do believe that there is life out there, due to all the stars and their planets just in our own galaxy among all the other galaxies.

I do not believe any of it visits us or even knows of us, due to all the stars and their planets just in our own galaxy among all the other galaxies.

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 07:24 AM
link   
a reply to: rigel4

I have always believed in life out there.. it's
(statistical certainty)

Just so happens that it is also a mathematical certainty!

You are wrong on both counts im afraid, it is neither a statistical or mathematical certainty.

Before you start quoting the drake equation parrot fashion you might want to read and understand it correctly.

edit on 23-12-2014 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: superman2012

Isn't it scarier believing we are alone?

ABSOLUTELY!

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 04:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Titor86
Is there anyone here who was previously a non believer but has now become convinced that there is life elsewhere in the universe?
\
Not here. Nobody has shown me a single tiny bit of evidence of life beyond Earth.

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 04:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ericthedoubter
In a billions-of-years-old universe,is it even feasible to assume that only Earth harbours life?

Sure. Explain to me exactly how a bunch of dead chemicals magically happen to fall together to create something that reproduces and has a point of view. Go ahead.

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 07:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: smurfy
The OP did not really ask about alien visits, but given that alien life does exist, there is no room to be a skeptic of any 'visitation' at all in our limited terms because we simply do not know.
That is a non-sequitur. Even if we were 100% sure there was alien intelligence 500 light years from us, there is still room for skepticism about whether they are visiting us or not, especially if their technology is similar to our own. Skepticism isn't a claim it's impossible, it's merely looking for extraordinary evidence to support extraordinary claims.

posted on Dec, 24 2014 @ 08:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Titor86
a reply to: rigel4

Is there any feeling on your part other that it being a statistical certainty though?

What I'm looking to find out is where people's beliefs or indeed non beliefs are routed.

I'm a young Scientist and I understand that there is a fantastic statistical possibility for life in the cosmos other than ourselves and I absolutely believe in it. But for me there's more to it than a statistical probability. I'm constantly in awe of nature and more and more curious about how the universe works so there's also a great deal of gut in it for me in addition to the statistics.

I just wanted to welcome another scientist to the forum.

I can't say there was ever a time where I didn't feel strongly that there had to be other life out there. Ever since I was a little girl and my dad pointed out the stars to me and told me they were like our Sun, some bigger, some smaller and there were so many of them! I imagined all sorts of other planets like Earth and ones nothing like it.

At some point I read the book Rare Earth as a counterbalance to my imagination and the writings of Carl Sagan. Then I realized that we simply don't know enough about what is out there. The more I learned however, the more firm that feeling that we are not alone has become.

Life is ubiquitous where it can live on Earth and it appeared almost immediately after the Earth cooled. Given what I learned about the physics of planetary formation and the prevalence of the organic building blocks of life in space and thanks to Kepler, the commonality of planets like Earth (which turned out to be more common than even some of the most optimistic estimates suggested pre-Kepler) it seems inevitable that there will be other life out there and I am of the opinion we will find it within the next 30 years in some form or another, either in our solar system or on an exoplanet somewhere in the neighborhood.

I hope to help make that discovery possible.
edit on 24-12-2014 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2014 @ 08:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bloodydagger If something doesn't fit within their belief systems, then its ignored. If something defies earthy logic, then its ignored some more.

It's not ignored. It is examined and often a better explanation than "OMG! Aliens" is available.

Science does NOT require belief. It requires evidence. The bigger the deal, the better the evidence required.

BTW: I can point to PLENTY of research that is going on that is against the grain within the halls of academia.

Just within NASA I can point out the cutting edge research that has been or is being done on such fringe science things as Hyperspace (See: Alan C. Holt), Anti-Gravity (See: Eugene Podkletnov and Ning Li), Cold Fusion (See: Joseph Zawodny and Dennis Bushnell), Warp Drives (See: Miguel Alcubierre and Harold "Sonny" White) or Inertialess Acceleration (See: Mark Millis). All of which is publicly accessible.

I mean, there was a SETI experiment involving some respected scientists in academia that was even open to alien channeling, it doesn't get much more fringe than that!

I can point you to academic papers on all of the above. So your statement about science and academia being closed to things which might seem completely nonsensical is patently false.

No door is closed in science unless the data rules it out. Even then an idea may be re-examined with new models, new technology, years later.
edit on 24-12-2014 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2014 @ 10:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bloodydagger
Something is going on with this whole UFO/ET subject and its been going on for a long long time. Its hard to ignore, so I keep an open mind regarding the subject.

Your mind is already closed to the possibility that the UFO subject may and most likely probably has nothing to do with ET.

Just by calling it "the UFO/ET subject" you have closed your mind to the most probable explanations for what people report as UFOs.

That's not an open mind. That's a mind that already decided UFOs must be extraterrestrial in nature when there is pretty much zero evidence of that.

posted on Dec, 24 2014 @ 10:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: JadeStar

originally posted by: Bloodydagger If something doesn't fit within their belief systems, then its ignored. If something defies earthy logic, then its ignored some more.

It's not ignored. It is examined and often a better explanation than "OMG! Aliens" is available.

Science does NOT require belief. It requires evidence. The bigger the deal, the better the evidence required.

BTW: I can point to PLENTY of research that is going on that is against the grain within the halls of academia.

Just within NASA I can point out the cutting edge research that has been or is being done on such fringe science things as Hyperspace (See: Alan C. Holt), Anti-Gravity (See: Eugene Podkletnov and Ning Li), Cold Fusion (See: Joseph Zawodny and Dennis Bushnell), Warp Drives (See: Miguel Alcubierre and Harold "Sonny" White) or Inertialess Acceleration (See: Mark Millis). All of which is publicly accessible.

I mean, there was a SETI experiment involving some respected scientists in academia that was even open to alien channeling, it doesn't get much more fringe than that!

I can point you to academic papers on all of the above. So your statement about science and academia being closed to things which might seem completely nonsensical is patently false.

No door is closed in science unless the data rules it out. Even then an idea may be re-examined with new models, new technology, years later.

Not to mention:"breakthrough propulsion technology at NASA's/JSC, informally known as 'Eagleworks', as an advanced propulsion physics laboratory to pursue propulsion technologies --- as in quantum vacuum plasma thrusters [Q-thrusters] --- which will make it necessary to enable human exploration of the solar system over the next 50 years, and enabling interstellar spaceflight by the end of the century."

Of course...my own theory on photon rocket propulsion, might be the only sensible future technology for an interstellar capable starship.
edit on 24-12-2014 by Erno86 because: added a sentence

posted on Dec, 24 2014 @ 10:27 AM
link   

I have always believed that there must be aliens out there, I never needed earth's scientist's to confirm it.
I just used my common sence. I mean the universe is like so super gigantic, how could there not be other beings out there.

posted on Dec, 24 2014 @ 11:48 AM
link   
The question everyone is avoiding is - what is life?

And of course nobody knows. Which is a pity, because the question whether it exists elsewhere in the universe can only really be answered when we have solved this conundrum.

Science is still very much in the dark ages here.

Many scientists these days appear to be absolutely convinced that it is simply about complexity, and that all we have to do is create a sufficiently complex computer and - hey presto! - an intelligent, living, sentient being will automatically emerge.

Quite why this should occur, they don't say.

I'm very skeptical about the existence of extraterrestrial life...and it's for this very reason that we don't know what life is, or why it should exist. We only know that it's here, on Earth.

But that's not all: we also know that there's no life on any of the 3 other planets in the habitable zone of our own star system (Mercury, Venus, and Mars). It's not even on our own Moon...a mere quarter of a million miles from the Earth's surface.

People refer to the Law of Averages and point out the mathematical absurdity that life should be a one-off. That still doesn't convince me.

To use a crude analogy...how many millions of sperm are released in the act of conception? Yet only one reaches the egg.

Maybe it took the entire universe just to produce...

Us.

posted on Dec, 24 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: PhoenixOD

i have read drakes equation , and understand it , now a question for you :

why zero ?

if you claim to understand drakes equation - you should be able to answer

so - why zero ?

because unless you enter zero at some stage - you know what results drakes equation gives you

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join