It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

North Korea May be Under Mass Cyber Attack

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Graph displaying current NK outage
www.northkoreatech.org...

North Korea is currently experiencing a massive cyber outage. The outage may be a result of anything, but the top contenders are thought to be a mass cyber attack, general maintenance, or China pulling the plug on North Korea's internet while it investigates US allegations...it could be any of the three, but a cyber attack or general maintenance sound most likely.

Internet connectivity between North Korea and the outside world, though never robust to begin with, is currently suffering one of its worst outages in recent memory, suggesting that the country may be enduring a mass cyber attack a few days after President Obama warned the US would launch a "proportional response" to North Korea's hack against Sony.

"I haven't seen such a steady beat of routing instability and outages in KP before," said Doug Madory, director of Internet analysis at the cybsecurity firm Dyn Research, according to Martyn Williams of the excellent blog North Korea Tech. Madory explained, "Usually there are isolated blips, not continuous connectivity problems. I wouldn't be surprised if they are absorbing some sort of attack presently."

While it's entirely possible that this is due to run-of-the-mill maintenance or technical issues, it's hard to miss that the outage comes just days after President Obama condemned North Korea as responsible for the massive cyberattack against Sony and pledged a "proportional" US response.

The outage also comes as China is investigating the accusations against North Korea over the Sony hack. North Korea's internet access is wired through China, which gives China more or less direct control over North Korea's access to the outside world.

www.vox.com...

edit on 22-12-2014 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: daaskapital

What if someone is trying to start World War 3 between The US and North Korea? Makes a good plot line for a James Bond movie. I mean they have a scenario where a rogue Soviet General tried start World War 3 between the USSR and the US in the James Bond movie Octopussy.
edit on 22-12-2014 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Didn't I read somewhere that they only have one ISP?

Looks like a machine gun being used, when a sling-shot would have done just fine. lol.

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Regardless of who is doing it, you can bet NK will do more sabre-rattling after this.

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Whatever is causing this mass outage in North Korea...that fact is it is happening...and regardless if the United States is to blame for not...I am sure we will be blamed by North Korea anyway.

Who knows? Maybe they are secretly doing it to themselves...so they can blame the United States...I'm just saying.

edit on 2014-12-22T11:41:07-06:00amMondayam22201412America/Chicagoam by caladonea because: add more

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Nothing on Norse - IPViking. It doesn't show every type of attack though.
map.ipviking.com...

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 11:37 AM
link   
a reply to: caladonea

Maybe it's Anonymous. : O

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

I doubt anyone would be trying to start WW3. It would not be an ideal goal to achieve...

That said, it wouldn't surprise me if this is a cyber attack of some kind. If it is a cyber attack, i will expect further rhetoric afterwards. All things considered though, it could still yet be just general maintenance.

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: CraftBuilder

Norse only shows attacks on known honeypots. Not attacks on legitimate sources. While it's a good general indicator of attack traffic, it doesn't show what's REALLY happening.

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   
I hope the cyber guru's of the world put the hammer to North Korea, and make that country beg for mercy. Why should North Korea have the same ability to have internet, while its inhabitants of that country are starving

+17 more 
posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 11:42 AM
link   
So North Korea's Commodore 64 is not working.

Bummer.

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 11:43 AM
link   

There is probably an etch-a-sketch behind that.

In all seriousness I wouldn't be surprised if it's some sort of cyber-warfare rather than maintenance...
The timing coincides with my belief that there is no such thing as coincidence.

People have been saying for years that WWIII will be played out on the web...

I agree with that partly.

I mentioned this yesterday somewhere, but Kim was recently praised by Egypt & Jordan in hopes of closer ties...
So for the piggy in the middle of those two nations (Israel, for those wondering) to attack the DPRK and test their technological resolve isn't beyond comprehension.

The MOSSAD is no stranger to fighting on the cyber front.

But given the U.S. rhetoric of a proportional response, despite the shaky Intel, I wouldn't be surprised if this was American doing either...

Though they'd probably admit to it given the current situation.
That's what has me leaning towards others.

Personal speculation aside, there is so many groups of hackers on the Planet it could be anyone...

And as pointed out it could just be China working things out.
But again I'd expect them to admit it.

Interesting times ahead for sure.

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 11:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

So North Korea's Commodore 64 is not working.

Bummer.
You mean lil' Kimmy can't play "Defender" right now?

Oh the humanity!

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Sounds like a lot of computer geeks who are fans of James Franco and Seth Rogen are hammering the North Korean servers with viruses, bin bombs and other kinds of nastiness.

As the attacks on this very site have shown, it doesn't take much to throw a digital monkey wrench into the works.

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 11:51 AM
link   
AI is playing chess..

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 11:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: starwarsisreal

What if someone is trying to start World War 3 between The US and North Korea? Makes a good plot line for a James Bond movie. I mean they have a scenario where a rogue Soviet General tried start World War 3 between the USSR and the US in the James Bond movie Octopussy.

Well a conflict between North Korea and the US could hardly be called a "World War"...and if an actual shooting war ever did break out, it would be a pretty short and one-sided one.

North Korea has zero capabilities to attack the American homeland militarily, while the US has almost unlimited capabilities as it relates to bringing the sting to NK.

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun
You mean lil' Kimmy can't play "Defender" right now?

Oh the humanity!

Or Zork.

One could only wish he gets eaten by a Grue.

edit on 22-12-2014 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: voyger2
AI is playing chess..

We'll just start running a game of Tic-Tac-Toe...

Problem solved!

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 12:11 PM
link   

The article I read on Yahoo seemed to imply that the U.S. was behind the attack. That's what they get. I can't see "The Interview" because of those alleged hackers.

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   

If there is some sort of Real-Shutdown/Interferrence to NK's Internet ...

It could be due to:

South Korea nuclear plant operator says hacked,
raising alarm

(Reuters) - Computer systems at South Korea’s nuclear plant operator have been hacked, the company said on Monday, sharply raising concerns about safeguards around nuclear facilities in a country that remains technically at war with North Korea.

-
OPINION: It's Just Anyone's ... Guess.

edit on 22-12-2014 by FarleyWayne because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join