It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

The largest vessel the world has ever seen

page: 1

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 07:49 AM

Prelude is a staggering 488m long and the best way to grasp what this means is by comparison with something more familiar.

Four football pitches placed end-to-end would not quite match this vessel's length - and if you could lay the 301m of the Eiffel Tower alongside it, or the 443m of the Empire State Building, they wouldn't do so either.

In terms of sheer volume, Prelude is mind-boggling too: if you took six of the world's largest aircraft carriers, and measured the total amount of water they displaced, that would just about be the same as with this one gigantic vessel.

Under construction for the energy giant Shell, the dimensions of the platform are striking in their own right - but also as evidence of the sheer determination of the oil and gas industry to open up new sources of fuel.

Call Kevin Costner...

I want one, i got no use for it but i want it nonetheless, with the oil prices as they are maybe they sell to me cheap
. really bad timing to finish it but oh well when they started must have looked as the most logical thing to do.

It looks very mad max, obviously is made to work in Australia
edit on 22-12-2014 by Indigent because: (no reason given)

The deck look like a refinery

this must be the captain

edit on 22-12-2014 by Indigent because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 07:54 AM
thats sweet man.
a marvel of engineering.

i read the article but it didnt say what type of engine it uses. probably the wartsila

that motor is a beast. has to be whats in it.
a 2 stroke turbo diesal 45 foot high pumping out 108k horses

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 07:57 AM
a reply to: Grovit

I don't know why they made it like that, a catamaran makes more sense to me.

By the other hand i know nothing of ships

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 08:03 AM
a reply to: Indigent

i didnt know about the boat till i read the thread but i have been into that motor for a while.

when i was in the shop i used to think about what it would be like to work on one.

the crankshaft for that dude weighs 300 tons.

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 08:48 AM
Holy ship batman.....

Thats just insane, i cant believe they really need somthing that big, damn shell you fat.

Everyone loves hate shell for their amber necter, black goo and invisible gas we crave so much - but damned you got to admire their ingenuity.

edit on b0404954 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 08:56 AM
a reply to: Biigs

when you see this and other container ships, the the docks it really gives you a perspective on how much merchandise gets moved around.
how much people consume.

it blows my mind.

we need something we go to the store. say wal mart or k mart.

a tv. socks. a blender.

a lot of # has to happen for that stuff to land on those shelves.

its insanity man...

imagine all the stuff that moves through here every day

edit on 22-12-2014 by Grovit because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 08:57 AM
That is an unbelievable achievement. To even consider to build something that big. Its unfortunate that this is for Big Oil. Still an amazing ship, and that picture of the motor, all i can say is WOW

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 09:09 AM
a reply to: Grovit

Man, if you could stuff that into a 78 Vega.........

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 09:09 AM
Off the coast of Australia, at least they arnt likey to hear the words "ice berg ahead!"

edit on b1414906 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 09:20 AM
a reply to: Glassbender777

its amazing. all of it.
the ship. the motor. the shipyard itself.
just think of the logistics involved in getting the ship into the dock. then getting the containers off the ship on some organized fashion. then unloading the containers.

when humans are not busy killing people and getting drunk, and playing on facebook they can do some amazing things.

that motor is what fascinates me. the casting and machining that had to be done. the actual construction of it.

some amazing tolerances.
even with all the force on the pistons, cylinder wall wear is only 0.03mm for 1,000 hours.

that alone is a marvel of the engineering

the stroke(how far it travels up/down) of the piston(there are 14 of them) is just over 8 feet.

i would love to see that in real life.

one of the coolest things ive seen as far as engineering probably wont impress most but it did me.

i used to inspect castings for a company called ariel based out of columbus. my foundry poured them. i would inspect them for defects and tolerances to make sure it was within their guidelines.
anyway, each casting was 1 half of a motor block. it was about 5 feet weighed about 10k pounds. had to inspect the race for the crank among other things.

once ariel got it they machined it and assembled it.

they brought me down to the plant once to check out their process and they had an assembled and running finished engine.
the balance on the motor was perfect. they would balance a dime on its edge while it was running do demonstrate the tolerance to people.
that just blew me away. when assembled they would ship them to russia to run compressors in a natural gas pipeline.

it was awesome man

this is a pic from their website of the completed assembly

a link to it

we used to pour most of those parts. the piece in the middle with the crank running through it is what i used to inspect.

dont mean to hijack and ramble but things like this fascinate me.

a larger version. this one puts out 10k horses

edit on 22-12-2014 by Grovit because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 09:28 AM
a reply to: Indigent

"prelude" to WHAT? my god....if that's the prelude, the main event is going to be quite a show

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 09:36 AM
Now thats one big fooking boat!, it makes the last ship i worked on look like a life raft!, if i was engineer on that vessel i would demand that i was supplied with a moped to ride to jobs onboard!a reply to: Indigent

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 10:21 AM
They wouldn't need that ship if we made our own crap here in America.

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 10:35 AM
a reply to: rickymouse

Ship made in korea, to work in Australia by a dutch company

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 10:50 PM
What kind of pollution would that thing put out?

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 09:05 AM
a reply to: Night Star

I look around and could not find much i don't think it will do much more than an offshore platform, it will go to his place anchor and start producing gas, so it will not be moving around burning gas i think.

new topics

top topics