It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Wearable Car? Starting of "mechs"?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 06:43 AM
link   
A mech is basically an exo-suit, they can be variable sizes, and carry heavy payloads of armorment. Bascially those exo-suits from the matrix, an Armored Personnel Unit, or even the robot from the orginal Robocop movie.

Compared to...

It would change combat, and transportation, although they would be crazy expensive.

The wearable car, it doesn't really seem like a car, It seems more like being absorbed into a motorbike.
lol

Thoughts?

news.bbc.co.uk...

[Edit: URL]

[edit on 13-12-2004 by _BLiND_]

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 08:34 AM
link   
it can be can but I dont know to what scale. As far as mechs that are 10-30 stories tall not likely in the near future. MIT is devolping a exoskeleton for DARPA its even been in TIME in the european edition atleast. As far as smaller suits you would need alot of intelligent servos that would react with the user as quick as possible. Also what would power these things. You would need a very powerfull electric motor to compensate for the wieght of the suit and the wieght of the user.

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 09:40 AM
link   
I think the they are comming for the military. Here is a Tread I did got booted to chittie chat... but still you get the idea.

www.belowtopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Not cool nor practical... It is interesting though...

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 06:36 PM
link   
I have seen this this in action not very impressive for strength or speed it can only carry a 130lb man max and has a top speed unde 1mph. It was designed to be a high tech wheel chair for people that cant walk.

Its a innovative idea but not practically I bet the thing cost millions of dollar to make too.

Exoskeletons are comming but I dont think we will ever see mechs on the battlefield like they are seen on TV. A 10-30 stories tall robot would just be a huge target waiting to be taken out by a hidden heliocopter or tank. The future of weapons is smaller porfiles and better camo etc..

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Exoskeletons are comming but I dont think we will ever see mechs on the battlefield like they are seen on TV. A 10-30 stories tall robot would just be a huge target waiting to be taken out by a hidden heliocopter or tank. The future of weapons is smaller porfiles and better camo etc..

Agreed, though, I hope everyone can come to an agreement with their enemies so thes weapons will not be utilized.

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 06:55 PM
link   
yet again more another object to add to the collection of steadily growing proove that if theres something thats completely stupid or useless, it was invented in japan

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kriskaos
As far as smaller suits you would need alot of intelligent servos that would react with the user as quick as possible. Also what would power these things. You would need a very powerfull electric motor to compensate for the wieght of the suit and the wieght of the user.

Well IMHO servos are on the way out and artificial muscles will be on the way in, in the near future. Check ou this article

www.betterhumans.com...

www.pa.msu.edu...

Electromechanical actuators based on sheets of single-wall carbon nanotubes are shown to provide higher stress generation capabilities than natural muscle, and higher strains than high modulus ferroelectrics. Both solid-state actuators and actuators that run in salt water are demonstrated and characterized. Like natural muscles, the macroscopic actuators are assemblies of billions of individual nano-scale actuators. The actuator mechanism (quantum-chemical-based expansion) does not require ion intercalation processes, which limit the life and rate of faradaic conducting polymer actuators. Low operating voltages of a few volts and high temperature capabilities are advantages compared with ferroelectrics. Although device development is at an early stage, predictions based on measurements suggest that nanotube actuators may eventually provide substantially higher work densities per cycle and higher stress generation capabilities than any previously known technology.

[edit on 14-12-2004 by sardion2000]

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Chris,
A very wonderfull idea, I do hope your thoughts will come true.

As for the mechs, I dont really see any thing like it replaceing cars, but it is a neat idea to replace the wheel chair. I do hope a practical form does make it to the public.

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Well Robert Heinlein would be happy. I guess it will make up for that "Starship Troopers" adaptation movie.

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 10:06 AM
link   
My opinions. Well although the walker looks good and is probably fun to ride around in, the less than 1 mile an hour speed makes it fairly pointless. If it could travel at human running speed my opinion may have been different.

The car device, it looks fun too. But I feel it will go the same route to faliure as the old Sinclair C5, see link.

www.sinclairc5.com...

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Why would a mech have to be 10-30 stories tall? I don't think I have seen any walking machine tank weapon mech thing exxagerated to that size in any movie. Maybe like 2-5 or at most 10 but nowhere near the size of a sky scraper. The only time I have senn crap like that is in Power Rangers and similar ripoffs. I believe a machine like that would be very useful in the battlefield if it were able to constructed practically within price. After all it poses much higher manueverability than a tak or armored patrol vehicle. If you could land a few on an Aircraft Carrier you can wreak havoc and disable it. Of course technology like this would be centuries in the making but it is nice to plan ahead dont you think?

[edit on 12/14/2004 by DYepes]

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Nygdan,
Interesting you should Menchen Heinlein. The starship troopers movie did butcher the book pretty bad, but I did still like the movie
I liked the cartoon also, but as I am sure you can tell, I am a pretty big Heinlein fan. But I do also feel that Heinlein would have liked these first generation mechs.

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by DYepes
Why would a mech have to be 10-30 stories tall? I don't think I have seen any walking machine tank weapon mech thing exxagerated to that size in any movie. Maybe like 2-5 or at most 10 but nowhere near the size of a sky scraper.

[edit on 12/14/2004 by DYepes]

I think one of the things they get wrong in mech shows and games like Gundam,MechWarrior. Is when they portray a human body for a giant robot. If you look at nature the human body sucks there are so many better designs if we just look at the insect world.

A 6ft human can run what 25-27mph tops? A 6ft cockroach could run 200mph. A 6ft spider could climb and jump so much better then a human ever could.

6 robotic legs would be better then 2 robotic legs. So if we ever see giant walking robots on the battlefield dont expect them to have 2 legs.

[edit on 14-12-2004 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
I think one of the things they get wrong in mech shows and games like Gundam,MechWarrior. Is when they portray a human body for a giant robot. If you look at nature the human body sucks there are so many better designs if we just look at the insect world.

A 6ft human can run what 25-27mph tops? A 6ft cockroach could run 200mph. A 6ft spider could climb and jump so much better then a human ever could.

6 robotic legs would be better then 2 robotic legs. So if we ever see giant walking robots on the battlefield dont expect them to have 2 legs.

[edit on 14-12-2004 by ShadowXIX]

6 foot cockroach would either collapse under his own weight or suffocate. Likewise with a spider. There's a reason why there aren't giant insects running around- because their design sucks when scaled up. The human design is good for a human, the insect design is good for an insect.

That said, Mechs are horrible weapons. Powered armor could prove useful, but any mech is inefficient. A tank can do it's job infinitely better.

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Esoterica

6 foot cockroach would either collapse under his own weight or suffocate. Likewise with a spider. There's a reason why there aren't giant insects running around- because their design sucks when scaled up. The human design is good for a human, the insect design is good for an insect.

But you are giving organic limitaions to a Robot. Insects got much bigger in past when they was more oxygen in the atmosphere. This is because they dont have lungs like we do which limits their size today thats why we dont have giant bugs running around but we once did.

We used to have 3ft dragonflies and 15ft long scorpions on earth and other large bugs.

But when we are talking about a robot it does not matter anyway the basic bug design can be changed in any number of ways and be made up of materials much stronger then anything found in organic lifeforms.

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX

Originally posted by Esoterica

But you are giving organic limitaions to a Robot.

I have to concur with ShadowXIX on this one. Insects are very versatile creatures, some of them can jump hundreds of times its hight without hurting itself, some can carry 50 times its wieght. They are amazing creatures and if they were the same size as some of the animals of today we would't be on top of the food chain as we'd probably have gone extinct or never evolved in the first place. If we make an exoskelton using biomemitics(the imitation of nature by technology) it could give soldiers a decisive advantage. And it's not hundreds of years away either, DARPA has the 2025 Future Force Progam(or somthing like that cant remember) that plans on incorporating Nanotechnology heavily into the exoskeleton technologies we are now researchings and developing at a fevered pace. I will go out on a limb here and say that I believe they will start to deploy some rudimentary exoskeleton armor in Iraq by the end of 2006. It won't be anything spectacular but it should give very important field data which will be used to develope better armor to use in the next war. In 20-30 years time the superpower(s) in that time will be able to mount an effective war with tens of thousands of troops instead of the hundreds of thousands of today. They will be backed up robotic swarmbots, UCAVs, and Predators(or whatever is used for Recon by then). I don't really see 30-40 story Mech units becoming feasable in a Loooong time(if ever) as they see to easy a target, and it would cause soo much damage just trying to get around, would't be able to use it to defend(unless it has Anti-Grav
). I think the biggest powered armor we're gonna see in our lifetimes is around 10 to 12 feet. Not huge but intimidating nontheless.

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Well if they every devolp mechs they will most likely be equiped with ECM ( electronic countermeasure) and ECCM systems. Also they could be mounted with a Phalanx type system to shoot down missles.

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 08:58 AM
link   
You people are thinking on a way too big of a scale. 30 story mechs? I ment exoskeletal suits. About the size of the 1 in the first image.

I mean a tank cannot clear buildings, or get over tough obsticles, some obstactles yes but a "walker" could go into buildings, traverse tougher terrain then a tank. (if they could jump).

The size I invision at max it would be 12 ft tall. Legs have reversed joints so it can lower itself to 10 ft.

Although with legs it would have serious weak points, achilles heel...literally.
It would have to be made out of some very very very tough but light weight alloys. Admantanium would work. If they could make it. lol

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join