It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It Is Not Okay...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
You're talking about a fraction of the overall interactions as if they're the majority. Are there abuses of power? Yes. Is there corruption? Yes. But using the "well what else are we gonna do?" argument to assuage people's feelings about two cops getting killed is absurd.

I understand your point, but the problem is that these 'fractions' of interactions are resulting in Death...the ultimate ending. The severity of the problem isn't simply linked to the number of occurrences, it also relates to the results from these interactions.

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: noeltrotsky

About 1% of all blacks murdered last year were killed by cops. By comparison, about 2.5% of all cops on duty last year were killed by hostile gunfire alone. That's not taking into account being hit by cars, stabbed, beaten, and so on. So if we're going to talk about out of control cops running around killing people, why don't we just talk about out of control people in general running around killing people? Are some of those out of control people cops? Certainly. Are more of them NOT cops? I would say that's the statistical probability. The violence is going both ways, and adopting the attitude of "what else can we do" isn't going to help matters.

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Not sure where you get the stats as the number of people killed by cops isn't published by law enforcement. Besides all that the numbers involved don't really matter. You're saying violence isn't a helpful response to violence. I disagree. It is a legitimate response. Often applied too early but ultimately when a group of people have no options to complain and actually affect change then resorting to violence is the next step. It's a well worn path of escalating society problems for many, many years.

People will not simply sit there and watch sports while there family members get locked up forever on stupid little 3 strike crimes and other members of their community get gunned down by the police. You can argue that these oppressed people don't have enough justification for violence, but I don't think you can successfully argue it isn't helpful at some point. History is full of oppressed people fighting back and stopping their oppressors. Usually involving killing. There are much fewer examples of oppression stopping due to peaceful means, which makes people like Ghandi really stand out and amazing.

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 05:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan

originally posted by: Kali74
It is also not okay to blame the President, Eric Holder, Bill deBlasio, protesters or anyone else but the murderer for the murders of these two cops.

Absolutely. Blame the perp. It's HIS fault.
We can say 'shame on the enablers' ... like Louis Farrakhan and Al Sharpton.
They should be more careful with their high octane rhetoric.
But in the end the blame is squarely on the perp himself.

...and Oreilly and Giuliani.

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Violence is never the answer. Ever.

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 05:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

Violence is never the answer. Ever.

Ah to be young again!

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 06:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
a reply to: jude11

The problem with your argument is that it is entirely possible to be a good cop while wearing "their colors." I don't know of any gang or organized crime outfit that would let you put on their colors and be a member without "being about that life."

You're talking about a fraction of the overall interactions as if they're the majority. Are there abuses of power? Yes. Is there corruption? Yes. But using the "well what else are we gonna do?" argument to assuage people's feelings about two cops getting killed is absurd.

One cop sees another cop assaulting a citizen, using unnecessary tactics, shooting unarmed citizens....or just lie about an incident so as to get away from responsibility.

Listening in the locker room to another cop bragging about a choke-hold or trumped up charges, planting evidence.....Hell it could just be "I Drive as fast as I want because if someone pulls me over we got each others back" or "Can you take care of this ticket for me? Thanks Brother"

kinda BS...

If one sees or hears of another in ANY situation where they get away with it but a citizen will not AND chooses to DO or SAY nothing?

...All guilty

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 06:44 PM
link   

I disagree with you so you must be a child? Really?

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 06:48 PM
link   
I didn't know 10 year-olds were allowed in rock concerts.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join