It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It Is Not Okay...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+10 more 
posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 08:17 PM
link   
I've always known that there's too many bad cops, racist cops... that the justice system is flawed with heartbreaking consequences for people of color and the disenfranchised. That said, engaging in stereotypes (in this instance, that all cops are bad) is never justified. In my eyes it makes those of you engaging in glorifying these two MURDERS, is just as bad as the racist assholes who continually post, wherever they can type, that: "thugs get what they deserve".

It is not okay. IT IS NOT OKAY! It's disgusting and just keeps us stuck in the never ending loop. We can address the issues with policing in America without advocating and glorifying murder. Either we want a fair and functional justice system or we want the mythical Wild West where you just kill whomever you disagree with or feel has wronged you.

It is also not okay to blame the President, Eric Holder, Bill deBlasio, protesters or anyone else but the murderer for the murders of these two cops. I know that as a sane rational person that nothing anyone says, no amount of rhetoric could get me to kill. Unfortunately not everyone is sane and not everyone insane gets the help they need. Ironically, it's usually your type that screams foul and rants about political correctness anytime someone reacts with: "Hey that's _____".

America... we really need to take a very long, introspective look at ourselves, we can't go on this way.

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 08:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

Ya I don't get how people can champion life on one side and then glorify the death on the other.

What happened to these two cops is not the road to go down, you don't fight them with the tactics you don't want them using. Cause you will just get it back ten fold..

Great rant

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 08:26 PM
link   
This is the best thing I've seen written about recent events.

America... we really need to take a very long, introspective look at ourselves, we can't go on this way.

It really needs to happen. It's probably not going to be fun for anyone, regardless of your positions. Myself included.

There needs to be some real dialogue that isn't just about making excuses or blaming. From all sides.

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Well said Kali.

One change I would make is to switch America for Humanity.

At the same time, I respect & with a sadness, understand, that what you are currently talking about does apply to the U.S...

Either we want a fair and functional justice system or we want the mythical Wild West where you just kill whomever you disagree with or feel has wronged you.

This is what made me think about Humanity as a whole...

From drones, to terror, to holy wars, to classism & many other topics...

All the way through those subjects it's all based on retribution...
Which I'm not totally against...
But at least select the right targets in a righteous manner.

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Couldn't agree more

I've been absolutely disgusted lately reading some of the comments here that try to justify these killings of EITHER side.

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 08:34 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

It does apply to humanity as a whole... the issues I ranted about apply everywhere, it's just for me right now, with what happened last night and all the ugly that came out from all sides, as an American that's where my perspective and focus is.

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Anyone that has the legal authority to arrest or kill you is not someone you should trust.

Period.

I'm not saying cops are good or bad, just that power corrupts, and I don't want to trust the wrong one and end up in jail or worse. It's not a matter of saying that won't happen, because we see it happening every day, and until police start doing a better job of policing themselves, then I feel they deserve every bit of derision that comes with the badge.

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 08:46 PM
link   

I agree my friend, and it is sad.

I can't say I know what you're feeling because it's not the same here in the UK.

We've had unarmed people shot as well...
Actually caused a riot a few years back (2011)...

But overall it's apples & oranges.

I feel for you all at this time.
& especially since your Media is so insistent on fanning the flames of the civil unrest.
There is a lot more people to influence in the States than in the UK...
& a lot more fire arms.

Hopefully it all gets worked out before it becomes too much.

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 08:49 PM
link   
a reply to: DrJunk

then I feel they deserve every bit of derision that comes with the badge.

Like a bullet to the back of the head?
I'm not saying that's what you're suggesting...
But it could be comprehended that way...
& these are the sort of comments that the OP is talking about.
edit on 21-12-2014 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Yeah, there's no excuse for brutally murdering anyone.

But seriously, just watch any cop show outside of the US (the UK, New Zealand, or wherever) and just see how much more respectfully the police treat the public, it would blow your minds.

I remember my ex wouldn't even let me watch 'Cops' because it just made me so angry.

I was watching it just the other day, the copper claimed the area they were working in was a really bad area because the parent's just never taught there kids how to have respect for there fellow human, then the copper proudly claimd he was different, because he was taught to have respect for people.

Then, he sees this women from he's patrol car buying a small amount of drugs. He jumps out of his car (doesn't even attempt to retain the dealer mind you) runs full ball at this women and full on tackles her and then slams her on her stomach, he then proceeds to dig her head into the ground while he cuffs her. The women then tells the camera she was pregnant, which could have just as well have been true.

Now, I'm not trying to claim this type of completely over the top behavior doesn't happen in other countries, but it sure as hell doesn't get shown on public TV, because there would be a 'huge' public uproar. Why is it that this type of behavior is on TV every single night in the US and everybody just excepts it as perfectly normal and don't even blink an eye.

There clearly is a culture of complete lack of respect within the police force over there that the public has just let thrive for many years and it needs to be addressed! Or at the very least, it just needs to be banned from being shown on my TV, so I don't end up busting a blood vessel over this complete lack of respect for humanity in general that those police officers seem to have.
edit on 21-12-2014 by Subaeruginosa because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 08:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

Bad boys, bad boys, what you gonna do, what you gonna do when they come for you...

Translation...

Pigs, pigs, we're above the law, we're above the law, & this is a Police State.

imo...

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Agreed. It seems that both sides lose integrity when they adopt an ''All or nothing'' mentality. ''It's my way, or the highway '' kind of thinking.
There are no absolutes when it comes to humans and our actions. But there are solutions, that's one thing that's blocked when people resort to emotional (and unfair) responses. BOTH sides need to realize what kind of world they can create when they fail to look at all facets of the problem. Including what they contribute too. #Alllivesmatter

I hope we do find a way ''to take a very long, introspective look at ourselves''...soon.

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 09:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

I agree with you. Unfortunately though, we probably will continue on the path we're on.

Introspection......that's a quality Americans as a whole have never been known for. Most of them are too simple.

As long as we're being honest, the rich and poor alike will have to end up licking the gutter together for awhile before we pick ourselves up again.

The only way some people learn and grow is when they're left with no other choice.

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 02:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

Ya I don't get how people can champion life on one side and then glorify the death on the other.

Great rant

It's quite simple...because it fits into their polarized viewpoints

Nobody ever wants to discern anymore...period

It's either ALL black men who were shot/killed by police were innocent or ALL black men shot/killed by police were thugs

Same with cops...you see it all day...ALL cops are evil or ALL cops did what they had to do

It's absolute 100% crap but people buy it every day because in their minds they have al the answers and to them blanket staements are always true

And to Kali:

Unfortunately, nobody wants to take that long look because it scares them what they will see about themselves...we'd rather go along and watch Honey Boo Boo then think "wow...something is really wrong here"

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 06:18 AM
link   

I think the issue is, at it's core, is some people (many?) don't have the intellectual capability to take people on a case by case basis. They either don't have the time, the energy, or the ability to break down the sum into it's parts and take the parts for what they are. For them, it's easier on their tiny little brains to say "all cops suck and should die" or "all protesters are thugs and deserve to get tear gassed" and so on and so forth. They are, in my opinion, mental midgets.

And yes, I see the irony of applying the broad brush to the very people who apply it themselves, but I can't come up with any other reason why a person would hate all of "something" other than what I've said. You're a mental midget, or you're a bigoted jerkwad which is roughly the same in my book. When you can't make your brain see that all of "something" aren't all the same, then I can only surmise that you're being willfully ignorant.
edit on 22-12-2014 by Shamrock6 because: Typos. Need more coffee.

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 07:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
One change I would make is to switch America for Humanity.

I honestly can't stand it when people feel Americans problems are problems for Humanity.

The very valid and disturbing problem America is going through with police violence in society and it's repercussions is NOT happening everywhere in the world.

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Devil'S Advocate here:

Ok, So what do you suggest we do?

Cops are killing us in the streets every day. A great majority of those killed have no weapons and yet are subjected to gun violence by those paid to protect us from such violence. We are at their mercy of which they are showing none.

And then after the fact...So many cops get a paid leave, a transfer or just a warning. Because they have a badge.

Other cops that know about what is going on but refuse to come forward because of fear of reprisal are just as guilty IMO. If I put on gang colors but am not like the rest of the members, am I not painted by the cops as guilt by association? The cops put on their colors every day.

So, what are we to do? If we do nothing we feel the noose tighten. If we stand and fight we are guilty of other crimes. The days of treat people or cops with respect and it will come back are gone. Sorry, just reality.

Much of human history could never have gone forward if the oppressed did not stand against the oppressors. Many believe that we lose if we don't remember our history. THAT is our history. Without it, we would all be under Roman rule, Nazi rule or ????

If you have another suggestion I'd like to hear it because taking a good hard look at ourselves just won't work. It's not going to happen. TPTB in charge of the whole crap barrel won't sit at a table to take that look either so what remains?

Peace

edit on 22-12-2014 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 09:54 AM
link   
jimfishertruecrime.blogspot.ca...

This guy had to compile his own totals because the US government doesn't collect stats on police killing of civilians in the line of duty. I wonder why?

Sorry, I don't wonder why the government doesn't compile this easy to gather stat. They would then have to release it and let people know how big the problem is.

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 10:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
It is also not okay to blame the President, Eric Holder, Bill deBlasio, protesters or anyone else but the murderer for the murders of these two cops.

Absolutely. Blame the perp. It's HIS fault.
We can say 'shame on the enablers' ... like Louis Farrakhan and Al Sharpton.
They should be more careful with their high octane rhetoric.
But in the end the blame is squarely on the perp himself.

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: jude11

The problem with your argument is that it is entirely possible to be a good cop while wearing "their colors." I don't know of any gang or organized crime outfit that would let you put on their colors and be a member without "being about that life."

You're talking about a fraction of the overall interactions as if they're the majority. Are there abuses of power? Yes. Is there corruption? Yes. But using the "well what else are we gonna do?" argument to assuage people's feelings about two cops getting killed is absurd.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join