It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Elon Musk’s speed-of-sound Hyperloop is actually being built

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Way back in the summer of 2013, SpaceX’s Elon Musk proposed a new transportation system that was equal parts awesome and insane: The Hyperloop. The system, which would consist of an above-ground vacuum tube, would be able to get people from San Francisco to Los Angeles in under 30 minutes. Unfortunately, that was the extent of Musk’s involvement: He gave us his plans in the form of a 57-page white paper, and then told the world to go ahead and build it. Now, a group of 100-odd engineers have banded together to try and actually create a Hyperloop — and they seem to be making pretty solid progress.

Elon Musk’s speed-of-sound Hyperloop is actually being built

Thought this article may be of some interest to my fellow ATS members.

So what do you think ATS will this Hyper loop actually ever become a reality and a viable means of transportation? Given the distinct possibility that technology such as this could indeed revolutionise our transport system.

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 06:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

So what do you think ATS will this Hyper loop actually ever become a reality and a viable means of transportation?

Until I see some viable method for securing and creating its Right of Way I am very skeptical of this plan ever coming to fruition.

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 06:44 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Shame to hold back progress due to what essentially amounts to planning permission. Such is the world in which we live through.

I suppose they could always build the the structure underground, it would add to the cost i imagine.
edit on 21-12-2014 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Shame to hold back progress due to what essentially amounts to planning permission.

Should we just run it through people's property instead without any concern for their rights?

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 06:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Shame to hold back progress due to what essentially amounts to planning permission.

Should we just run it through people's property instead without any concern for their rights?

Like the Keystone Pipeline.

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 06:50 PM
link   

"Should we just run it through people's property instead without any concern for their rights?"

Thats a good question i suppose there is always a cost when we build or advanced new technologies. The saying "you can't stop progress" springs to mind through.

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 06:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi

I am not for eminent domain being used for private enterprise.

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 06:52 PM
link   

"Should we just run it through people's property instead without any concern for their rights?"

Thats a good question i suppose there is always a cost when we build or advanced new technologies. The saying "you can't stop progress" springs to mind through.

That is all well and good but failed to answer my original concerns. There is no plan to address Right of Way acquisition.

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 06:53 PM
link   
It doesn't seem to have windows or restrooms. I realize it's supposed to be a short trip but i'm not sure how most people would feel about that.

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 06:55 PM
link   
From Elon's whitepaper linked in the article i see its going to be a vacuum tube to reduce drag. I don't really understand the means of propulsion though. Is it going to be be a vacuum pump of significantly high volume on each end; and the vehicle fits in the tube almost exactly as to create suction? Or will there be some other form such as an electromotive force, maglev under vacuum?

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 06:55 PM
link   

So what do you think ATS will this Hyper loop actually ever become a reality and a viable means of transportation?

Until I see some viable method for securing and creating its Right of Way I am very skeptical of this plan ever coming to fruition.

Simple.

Take whatever private land they want.

It's happening every day. All for the greater good of course.

Peace

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 06:57 PM
link   

I imagine that's a fifth amendment concern. I cannot really comment being from the UK. I will say this, it would be great thing to build in my own nation and would certainly make travel between Glasgow and London a whole lot more entertaining not to mention shortening journey time by a significant factor.

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 06:57 PM
link   

I am not for eminent domain being used for private enterprise.

It was just an observation/parallel. I wasn't insinuating you supported Keystone.

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 06:58 PM
link   

It was just an observation/parallel. I wasn't insinuating you supported Keystone.

No worries. Just making sure the casual reader of these forums understands I am very much for individual rights and that certainly includes their property.

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 07:04 PM
link   
a reply to: cleverhans

I imagine they would incorporate toilet facilities into any final working design. As to there being no windows, those could be replace with monitors displaying the outside journey.

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 07:04 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake
Misleading headline (not your fault). It's not actually being built, not yet anyway. They're doing a feasibility study.

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 07:16 PM
link   
They could build it along already built transportation corridors like highways or rail lines. There would be minimum need to use eminent domain against private property rights this way.

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 07:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: spirit_horse

They could build it along already built transportation corridors like highways or rail lines. There would be minimum need to use eminent domain against private property rights this way.

Highways are one thing, rail lines are private Rights of Way that would entail many of the same challenges as running it through a private citizen's property.

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 08:02 PM
link   
These days, we have the technology to do a lot of things but it ends up being politics that holds back progress. Know what I mean? We obviously have the technology to build this kind of transportation system.
edit on 21pmSun, 21 Dec 2014 20:03:28 -0600kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 08:33 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake It is being designed and even that is vague. See the other thread on this.

I also question "right of way" issues.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join