It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NYPD’s Cop Union: ‘We Have Become a Wartime Police Department’ after Two Officers Slain

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 08:19 AM
link   
a reply to: YouSir

I don't mean to be insensitive about the two cops who were executed. But the relationship between average joe New Yorker and the NYPD is and never has been good. Countless citizens harassed, attacked (police brutality I am personally affected by this because of father in law), property destroyed and broken into under "exigency", and just daily intimidation and fear of being fined for nonsense. Most people I know who see cops when they drive immediately feel a sick feeing that they might be in some sort of trouble.

I understand they are necessary but boy do real criminals have no fear of them, and knowing seedy people they are brazen and fearless mean while average joe law abiding city family are fearful.

There is a big disconnect between the public and police and even old folk who been around know that the cops abuse of the public is largely ommited from media versus cops getting attacked. I get that we need to assauge and protect their little egos and justify doing a dangerous job for their poor paychecks of the average grunts. And I get there's a bunch of crazy people in the city. But man, if they weren't so overtly corrupt that would be the first step of getting things on the right track and having them answer to public third party would be the right direction and making all records public. To research.

It sucks the two cops got killed really does but to declare war over it against the citizens is not the right thing. If anything police need to work with the community they serve. The only people I've personally met who are staunch police supporters are those who have personally benefited from them as friends of family members. Those who get a break from fines, get speeding tickets buried away, those who get rapid response from police, those who write up things in favor of the friend, those who get those cards/badges that let them get off of tickets (I've used one that I found myself and was shocked it works). In my experience 3 out of 10 cops are really polite and earnestly looking to help. But the middle aged older ones are just trouble and you can tell they will be trouble just by their demeanor.

An old timer told me that long ago everyone in the neighborhood knew the beat cops by name and vice versa and the cops would cut them slack if they did something stupid and the people would be the eyes and ears of the cops and look out for them as they looked out for the people.

Just end the corruption and earn public trust and work together. Trust is a result of mutual respect

/End rant

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Governments are itching to curtail more freedoms so the shooting of cops helps no-one.

RIP officers and my kind regards to their families.

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 09:07 AM
link   
a reply to: jude11

They are showing you the endgame. All cops put on the jackboots and pick up a check. There are go good cops.

LEO's will have to live in prisons to sleep safely before this is over. I suppose they will call it "camp freedom" or some other Orwellian nonsense.

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 09:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: glend
Governments are itching to curtail more freedoms so the shooting of cops helps no-one.

RIP officers and my kind regards to their families.

It does help someone. The people it helps have full control of the criminal justice system. Keep that in mind. It would be trivial for these animals to frag their own and set this guy up. Remember that.

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Well, when "peaceful protestors" chant the loving phrase, "What do we want? Dead cops!," if you don't feel like a war is being waged on you, you're either stupid, ignorant, or already dead.

A group of people chants that they want me dead, you better believe I'm upping my defensive posture qutie a bit--doesn't mean I'm going on a reckless offensive rampage, but then again, I'm betting money that neither will the NYPD.

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 10:31 AM
link   
I wanted to look into this

New York City Used To Be A Terrifying Place

Read more: www.businessinsider.com...
apparently cops were being slaughtered in the 70s in NY

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 10:38 AM
link   
um!
did they never have cops killed before.
not ever?

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Targeted Attack on New York Police Reopens Old Wounds From ’70s

Forty-six police officers were killed in the line of duty in the 1970s, and 41 more in the 1980s. Before Saturday, the last time an officer was killed in the line of duty was in 2011. Some of the assassinations of police officers in the early 1970s were stoked by a militant strain of the black liberation movement, including the explosive killing of Officers Rocco Laurie and Gregory Foster in 1972. Officer Foster, 22, of the Bronx, and Officer Laurie, 23, of Staten Island, who had fought together as Marines in Vietnam, were shot dead after walking out of a diner in the East Village just before 11 p.m. on Jan. 27, 1972. They had asked to be placed on patrol in the East Village because it was riddled with crime. Killings of police officers have dwindled, and the city has sought to rub out the stain of drugs and violent crime, but people in the law enforcement community say the fatal shootings on Saturday ripped open old wounds.

www.nytimes.com...

The police killings in the 1970s created a “siege mentality” among officers, Mr. Henry said. Officers began arriving at the station house four hours before work and leaving four hours after their tour in order to trail marked patrol cars with their personal cars, shotguns in hand, providing an additional layer of cover. Mr. Henry said police officers also began carrying private shotguns during that era.

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 10:57 AM
link   
The Cop union guy talking all this wild stuff is being foolish and short sighted.

This murder of these officers should remind him of the vulnerability of the cops and therefore he and the cops should attempt to make peace with the community not all this war talk which is just inflaming the situation.

To foster this atmosphere of cop versus community will be a disaster for the community and the cops who are very vulnerable on the streets of NYC…AS THIS MURDER ILLUSTRATES.

The Mayor, the police union, community representatives have to come together or this situation can get worse and next summer may be a disaster in waiting.

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 11:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: sdcigarpig
Actually all the cops have to do, is simply stand down and strike. To do absolutely nothing, to not show up to work, to simply move to an area and refuse to do the job. And when people are mugged, assulted, killed and ultimately deal with the lawlessness, there will be a cry for them to do something and they can hold the city at bay and bring it to its knees.

And that is any police department in any city. And they can demand just about anything, to the point where they can get most of what they want.

While I do think this maybe the case in some major cities, like NYC I do believe most of the US is quite capable of policing their selves, maybe with the help of some local Motorcycle Clubs like the Patriot Guard.

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 11:03 AM
link   

As if any more evidence were needed that the NYPD is out of control and has no credibility with the public. Indeed, this statement proves that what people have been saying for a long time - the NYPD is nothing more than a rogue private club of armed men and women under no control from elected officials.

What happened to those two officers is atrocious, disgusting and abhorrent, but this response has basically outed the NYPD as being an armed domestic militant group no longer under the leadership of the elected government, what does this make them?

The Union needs to be investigated and disbanded immediately. The moment a union is declaring such a dangerous thing, attacking the elected officials of their state or city, and making threats like this in such an extremely incendiary and entirely unprofessional way, there needs to be drastic and immediate action taken.

The NYPD has lost trust, lost credibility, and lost its mandate to serve the public. It is a rogue group now operating without a mandate to do so. The state needs to step in and remove all of those responsible for leading their officers in this terribly dangerous direction and replace them with accountable men and women from other areas.

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 11:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

Well, when "peaceful protestors" chant the loving phrase, "What do we want? Dead cops!," if you don't feel like a war is being waged on you, you're either stupid, ignorant, or already dead.

A group of people chants that they want me dead, you better believe I'm upping my defensive posture qutie a bit--doesn't mean I'm going on a reckless offensive rampage, but then again, I'm betting money that neither will the NYPD.

First of all, I watched a lot of the protests live and I never once heard anyone threatening death. Not once. Even if that was the case and I missed it, that doesn't not in any way excuse public servants basically announcing themselves to be an armed militia instead of a police force.

The police are supposed to be above this, recognizing that they serve ALL of their citizens, not "declaring war" on the public they are supposed to be protecting. The fact that this "statement" was released is enough evidence that the NYPD is a threat to public safety and needs to be reigned in immediately.

If this is what NYPD officers are thinking, they need to be removed from duty. This is the most childish, unprofessional, ridiculous, embarrassing and dangerous response I have ever seen from a group of people paid by the public to serve the people.

You expect to see this kind of unprofessional nonsense and threatening behavior from a police force in a despotic country, not from the NYPD.

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 11:20 AM
link   
They're under attack. What did you expect them to say? Everything's fine?

People in this thread have lost their grip on reality. This IS war for them. They are already under attack every day they patrol. Now they're being ambushed by crazies who take the law into their own hands.

WTF does it end? Do you people really want a race war because that's what this is coming down to.

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: suz62

Their job is to serve and protect the common citizen.

To publicly announce 'War on the Streets' where everyone is considered a possible suspect contradicts the mission of "Serve and Protect."
edit on 22-12-2014 by jrod because: typo

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 11:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: suz62

People in this thread have lost their grip on reality. This IS war for them. They are already under attack every day they patrol. Now they're being ambushed by crazies who take the law into their own hands.

I think the taxpayers have actually finally snapped on the reality that Law enforcement has become judge, jury and executioner in many cases where innocent people have been killed, maimed, brutalized and destroyed by law enforcement .

Community oversight of law enforcement is an absolute necessity; Total transparency and no "blue code"
edit on 22-12-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 11:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: suz62

WTF does it end? Do you people really want a race war because that's what this is coming down to.

The people do NOT want a race war.

However we can make an argument that the Main Stream Media outlets do a lot of race bating given the stories they choose to air.

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 01:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rocker2013
First of all, I watched a lot of the protests live and I never once heard anyone threatening death. Not once. Even if that was the case and I missed it, that doesn't not in any way excuse public servants basically announcing themselves to be an armed militia instead of a police force.

Well, since I'm sure you understand that NYC is a big place, I'm sure you haven't heard all the protest chants, so you're personal experience is irrelevant in this instance. BUT, if it'll make you feel better that you can say you've now heard it:

You'll also notice at the beginning of the video, they're chanting, "Hands up...Shoot back," right before their call for dead cops. It escapes me--the logic--that you can sit there, listen to something like that, and then pretend that these officers don't have a right to feel like their community is declaring war on them and that they need to be prepared to respond, especially AFTER two of their own have been gunned down in cold blood.

The police are supposed to be above this, recognizing that they serve ALL of their citizens, not "declaring war" on the public they are supposed to be protecting. The fact that this "statement" was released is enough evidence that the NYPD is a threat to public safety and needs to be reigned in immediately.

If this is what NYPD officers are thinking, they need to be removed from duty. This is the most childish, unprofessional, ridiculous, embarrassing and dangerous response I have ever seen from a group of people paid by the public to serve the people.

You are either not getting it, or choosing to deny the truth, that it is the citizenry chanting their 'declaration of war,' not the NYPD--they are responding in a manner that ensures the utmost safety of their officers that they can reasonably provide.

I'd be interested to know--when is the last time you volunteered for and held a job that put your life in jeopardy in order to save or help or defend others on a daily basis. I have my assumptions, but would like to hear your answer. And, yes, your answer to that questions does matter in this debate.

But, if your answer is that you never have, I would just like to put this out there: You have ZERO idea what it's like to respond to a situation that could, at any point, be the last moment of your life. These guys, on every call, don't know what they're going to encounter when they arrive, so there is always a heightened awareness of the what-could-be situations that exist. You throw blatant threats and chants for wanting the death of these guys, you better believe that they have every right to approach each and every call now with even more skepticism and preparedness in order to counter anything that comes their way.

You blame the LEOs in this situation, but I think you're casting your doubtful eye in only one direction where blame is deserved.

ETA: Also, don't forget to remember those who vote these people into office who create these asinine laws, make the cops go out and enforce them, and then have accidents like Eric Garner's death take place over a damn cigarette. Very little is ever mentioned about them, but they're at the root of the issue--decrease the number of overbearing politicians that create asinine laws, you'll decrease the number of arrests, crimes, and accidental deaths because of them.
edit on 22-12-2014 by SlapMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Cops are missing the point.

It's okay to criticize the police when they use excessive force, appear above the law and kill unarmed civilians. We have freedom of speech and the police need to have some civilian oversight. They are not above the law.

Sure, there are some lunatics out there that will carry it too far and kill cops. Those are very few and not the majority...not even close. When you criticize the police and want accountability, you are not starting a war with the police.

Cops, these days, take any critical speech, or complaint or protest as an act of war. Are we to be kept in silence and is it now against the law to protest or speak out or say anything about the police?

No...this is America.

Cops, are not seeing that they aren't trusted in many cities and communities. Instead of taking this chance, this opportunity to bridge these divides and partner and repair their images with their communities, they are becoming even more isolated and hostile. Wrong move.

Who hires these morons?

Policing is so much easier when you have partners in the community and you don't alienate them.
edit on 22-12-2014 by amazing because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 02:01 PM
link   

I guess this is a good enough reason to keep all of those MRAPS and weaponry they received, huh? " doesn't belong on American soil" my ass!

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rocker2013

As if any more evidence were needed that the NYPD is out of control and has no credibility with the public. Indeed, this statement proves that what people have been saying for a long time - the NYPD is nothing more than a rogue private club of armed men and women under no control from elected officials.

What happened to those two officers is atrocious, disgusting and abhorrent, but this response has basically outed the NYPD as being an armed domestic militant group no longer under the leadership of the elected government, what does this make them?

The Union needs to be investigated and disbanded immediately. The moment a union is declaring such a dangerous thing, attacking the elected officials of their state or city, and making threats like this in such an extremely incendiary and entirely unprofessional way, there needs to be drastic and immediate action taken.

The NYPD has lost trust, lost credibility, and lost its mandate to serve the public. It is a rogue group now operating without a mandate to do so. The state needs to step in and remove all of those responsible for leading their officers in this terribly dangerous direction and replace them with accountable men and women from other areas.
Does anyone else find it ironic that both those officers were murdered during a terrorism drill? Haven't we heard that before countless times???_

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join