It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TERRORISM: Iraq Loses Electrical Power Nationwide.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Iraq's main power station in Baiji, north of Baghdad was shut down by a suspected sabotage attack on Sunday, Minister of Electricity Ayham Al-Samarrai said. This in turn caused a chain reaction which shut down other plants across the country. Power to key facilities such as water pumping stations and hospitals has been restored, however residential areas remain without power at this point.

www.news.com.au
SUSPECTED sabotage shut down Iraq's main power station on Sunday, bringing electricity generation to a halt nationwide, the country's Minister of Electricity Ayham Al-Samarrai said.

A fire resulting from a suspected act of sabotage stopped operations at a power station in Baiji, north of Baghdad, kicking off a chain reaction in other plants across the country," the minister said.

"The object of this act, which is under investigation, was to halt production," he said in a statement.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This act indicates that militants are now targeting services infrastructure which will cause major problems and also questions the security of such key sites.

edit:title

[edit on 13-12-2004 by sanctum]

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 06:04 AM
link   
Is anyone really surprised? Things get worse daily over there, turning Iraq into the Vietnam of our day, and those responsible for the chaos still run things...

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thorfinn Skullsplitter
Is anyone really surprised? Things get worse daily over there, turning Iraq into the Vietnam of our day, and those responsible for the chaos still run things...

Good point TS. I've been searching all over the net and there is a deafening silence about this attack.
All i could find was the link below which states the same as my original link. To black out an entire country is a big story, so are the coalition 'trying' to keep a lid on this. Anyway this link just repeats my other link.
www.abc.net.au...

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Thorfinn said:
. . . and those responsible for the chaos. . .

That's the problem- those responsible for the chaos (coalition) can't guard the entire nation.

It's time for a 'sea-change' in strategy. The tactics are good, the strategy is wrong. Instead of defending how about 'hunter-teams.' As long as the enemy is running and dodging it is hard for him to mount an attack.

I see lots of patrols and a few huge actions but no hunting groups.

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 07:15 AM
link   
So whats wrong with turning the whole stinking place into GLASS. Just invade Iran and get our guys out of the way and "NUKE" the whole place.

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrHoracid
So whats wrong with turning the whole stinking place into GLASS. Just invade Iran and get our guys out of the way and "NUKE" the whole place.

That is something only the most heartless, despicable, disgusting monster would consider doing.

Any nation that would consider that, themselves deserves to be nuked. Any nation considering that should be invaded as an obvious regime change is needed. That nation would be the real threat to the world.

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Yeah way to go DrH. If nukes are used in any way, shape or form we may as just as well put our head between our knees and kiss our **** goodbye.

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kriz_4

That is something only the most heartless, despicable, disgusting monster would consider doing.

Any nation that would consider that, themselves deserves to be nuked. Any nation considering that should be invaded as an obvious regime change is needed. That nation would be the real threat to the world.

So whats the difference? Islamic terrorist are preventing any "peace" in the area so jsut end the fighting. Make a statement to the world.

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 07:33 AM
link   
DrH, once nukes are involved it becomes a whole different situation...period.

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Don't worry about Dr.Horacid comments he just a faithful Christian we should forget him for his coments.

Now about Iraq, well, we have to understand that without support from other countries is not much it can do to keep control of the entire country with only US troops.

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Most of America believes that we are dealing with uneducated (racial slurs). I agree that this is the 21st century Vietnam, however the War Against Terrorism (a.k.a. the un-PC term "The War With Iraq") brings more advanced weaponry, advanced methods of infrastructure collapse, and both advanced and ancient war philosophies and methods.

If you can't go to the mountain (in this case, the United States), let the mountain come to you. Why be surprised anymore with attacks against Allies within Iraq? It has become a feeding frenzy of kidnappings, beheadings, and convoy attacks. These attacks also bring civilian casualties, which terrorist write off as martyrdom. The civilians themselves then blame us for creating this new form of chaos.

It is an infinite loop between two very different social systems. We live in a society with no patience. Waiting in line is a huge inconvenience during our lunchbreak. Getting a package to the other side of the world can be done in 2 days. We all want fast cars, fast computers, and fast food. There is nothing wrong this...it is merely a by-product of industrialization.

Our opponents are a very, very patient group. A patient opponent is as dangerous as a stronger opponent. The Administration needs to get this through their thick skulls.

Dot.

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by sanctum
DrH, once nukes are involved it becomes a whole different situation...period.

Look, the only thing these Islamoterrorist understand is POWER. Nuke say "the city of Mosques" and then Target Mecca..............

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Are you simply trolling for points here? If so please cease and desist with the empty "nuke em all and let god sort them out" rhethoric you are adding NOTHING to the discussion at all.

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by dotgov101
We live in a society with no patience.
Dot.

Dot, that very relevant post reminded me of a couple of quotes just after 9/11. (within hours of the attack).

Bush, "I want to kick some a$$"...and
Rumsfeld. "Go massive"

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 07:50 AM
link   

I have a favorite news picture. A photographer snapped it just after
us Americans went into Bagdad and the statue of Saddam came down.
It's a picture of a little Iraqi girl waving an American flag and she's
smiling. (wish I had a link to the picture, it's beautiful). When I see
it I am so happy for her. Now she won't live with the fear of torture or
rape and she won't be the victim of one of Saddams mass murders.
She has a future that will be much less fearful.

I'd hate to think that she was toasted and turned to ashes by a
non-essential nuke. That would be VERY sad.

I'm going to look for a link to that picture. If anyone else knows
the one I'm talking about and can link to it... please go ahead.

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 07:56 AM
link   
I am just getting tired of fighting a PC war. GW needs to either get the job done, what ever it takes or GET OUT. The pentagon need to be cleaned out. War is WAR the heck with what "the world" thinks. We can stop all this stupidity. The pentagon just doesn't have the will.

[edit on 13-12-2004 by DrHoracid]

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 08:00 AM
link   
You know nothing about strategic urban warfare, so I'm not even going to acknowledge the nuke comment.

Though our troops have state-of-the-art generators, this power outage is going to affect US more than it will affect Iraqi civilians. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out who is more dependent on electricity. Remember when our planes were dropping solar radios in Afghanistan? True, there are subtle differences between Afghanistan and Iraq, the least subtle being OIL.

See the connection yet? Oil yields electricity in the Western World. One of their geniuses figured, "Hey, let's skip setting our own oil on fire and go for the entire grid instead."

Tables turned, we would have done the same, exact thing. Think about it. A good percentage of our troops are located within Iraqi cities and sub-divisions. True, they're equipped with night-vision, but say goodbye to street lamps, house lights which indicate if the house is inhabited, and other helpful tools for when the sun goes down.

Dot.

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Hey, that could be the reason why no one else in the Middle East or Afirca (apart from Americal allies) are allowed to have nukes. The diagnosis of the "illness", and application of the "cure", all rest with Dr Bush and his lovely nursing assistants Rumsfield and Rice.

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

I have a favorite news picture. A photographer snapped it just after
us Americans went into Bagdad and the statue of Saddam came down.

I'm going to look for a link to that picture. If anyone else knows
the one I'm talking about and can link to it... please go ahead.

Hi FlyersFan,

Is this the picture you are talking about:

www.sizor.com...

A cute little girl.

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kriz_4

Hi FlyersFan,

Is this the picture you are talking about:

www.sizor.com...

A cute little girl.

Just out of curiousity, where did the flag come from? Did Saddam have a big American flag factory, and passed them out when Iraq fell? We brought them over with us, and handed them out for Iraqis to wave. Just like the statue toppling, it was just another psyops public relations photo op.

top topics

join