It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Controlling Magnetic Waves?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Hello ATS,

I just got a crazy idea and I thought I pose my idea here to see if anyone has an answer. I'm not a scientist, so I'll say this in lay-man-speak. Is there a way to control the direction of a magnetic wave...? If there is this would solve many problems to magnetic levitation technology. For example, the Hendo board is pretty cool but you can't control it; it even has a video where Tony Hawk rides it:

www.youtube.com...

However, this concerns my own personal idea(s) about this technology. My original idea was to use magnets in conjunction with fans underneath the vehicle with additional fans to push and/or slow down, or stop the vehicle. This idea doesn't make sense because of the amount of time it will take to slow down or change direction wouldn't be worth it. With a magnetic push or pull it might work.

A magnetic wave can be adjusted (toggled) to be sped up or slowed down, elevated or descended; all I would need to be able to do is control the direction of a magnetic wave. I found this article which talks about the Propagation of Waves

fas.org...

There seems to be one more problem; radiation. From what I gather, it seems to be that I need to spin magnets in order to create the desired magnetic field(s) for motion; however, this can have dire consequences upon the human body, correct?

Thanks for listening, ATS. Sorry about the extended speech. I know it know this may sound stupid to some....
edit on 21-12-2014 by lostbook because: word change

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 10:54 AM
link   
It's not stupid at all, it's actually quite clever!

The only issue is that many fans already magnetic fields to spin. The one in your computer very likely does!

Maybe discuss things more conceptually than specifically? Just because the idea is already in use doesn't mean your concepts are.. It just means someone else got there first.

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 11:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Serdgiam
It's not stupid at all, it's actually quite clever!

The only issue is that many fans already magnetic fields to spin. The one in your computer very likely does!

Maybe discuss things more conceptually than specifically? Just because the idea is already in use doesn't mean your concepts are.. It just means someone else got there first.

Thanks for the reply. I've been trying to figure this out. A few years back I tried to build a flying car myself, but it didn't work out. One idea I had was to use the "push" of competing magnets to lift the car; didn't work. Maybe need a way to amplify the push of the magnet opposite from the ground? Even if this works, I still need a way to sped up, slow down, or change direction.

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

Well....I got in on the Kickstarter for Hendo and will have a model to play with this spring hopefully. Seems to me that with all the various tools available in a smartphone, such as gyroscopic, positional and movement sensors, certainly there will be ways to electronically control a board and make it stable. If it will fit in a phone, it will fit in a board.

Old people ride Segway scooters with little practice. I'm unsure about any radiation problems. But, it seems to me that they would not be going to market, if that has not been taken into account.

I'm most interested in the idea of finding a roadway application that can be sprayed on existing paths. Apparently it only works with the proper material to repel from.

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 12:54 PM
link   
The basic rule of physics with magnetic fields is that any point in space can only have a magnetic field in one direction and strength. Then there's the one over distance cubed field strength rule. There's also a dissipation rate for when the original source disappears.

For me, the only way for aeronautical levitation using magnetic fields would be a high-frequency alternating field, so that a vehicle could create a magnetic field around itself, rapidly switch polarity and them push itself against that magnetic field.

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 01:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormcell
The basic rule of physics with magnetic fields is that any point in space can only have a magnetic field in one direction and strength. Then there's the one over distance cubed field strength rule. There's also a dissipation rate for when the original source disappears.

For me, the only way for aeronautical levitation using magnetic fields would be a high-frequency alternating field, so that a vehicle could create a magnetic field around itself, rapidly switch polarity and them push itself against that magnetic field.

That's similiar to what I'm thinking, but wouldn't you need shielding from the magnetic fields created? Or is that a non-issue?

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 01:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: lostbook
My original idea was to use magnets in conjunction with fans underneath the vehicle with additional fans to push and/or slow down, or stop the vehicle
Maglev trains use the magnetic fields themselves to accelerate and decelerate the train.

There are two particularly notable types of maglev technology:

For electromagnetic suspension (EMS), electronically controlled electromagnets in the train attract it to a magnetically conductive (usually steel) track.
Electrodynamic suspension (EDS) uses superconducting electromagnets or strong permanent magnets which create a magnetic field that induces currents in nearby metallic conductors when there is relative movement which pushes and pulls the train towards the designed levitation position on the guide way.

Since there are maglev trains in operation, I presume shielding isn't a problem.

edit on 21-12-2014 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Magnetic lines of force cannot cross each other......
A magnetic field to counter earths natural one and supply "lift" ie anti gravitic action can be calculated by somebody with a better grasp of the math.....
All that need be done is to provide the opposite pole in the vehicle to repel it from earth.....
the rest is switching by computer to control the result.....providing sufficient power to do so .....priceless.....

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 07:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: stirling
Magnetic lines of force cannot cross each other......
A magnetic field to counter earths natural one and supply "lift" ie anti gravitic action can be calculated by somebody with a better grasp of the math.....
All that need be done is to provide the opposite pole in the vehicle to repel it from earth.....
the rest is switching by computer to control the result.....providing sufficient power to do so .....priceless.....

But isn't the Earth's gravity too weak? I seem to remember hearing that a super-conductor could be an option because the Earth's gravity is too weak.
edit on 21-12-2014 by lostbook because: word change

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 09:47 PM
link   

gravity and magnetic field are two different things.....

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 09:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Enderdog

Errrr, doesn't that hendo board only work on the special floor, and ramp surface that looks metallic.....

Same thing as how a maglev train only works in conjunction with the maglev track..

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 03:47 PM
link   

It's a little bit slow, yet it's still awesome. If you just could improve the speed...

new topics

top topics

join