It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The History Channel

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 08:04 AM
link   
So I don't watch a ton of TV in my off time. When I was younger I used to be a huge History Channel fan, but once they started going the way of reality TV shows I got majorly turned off. Up till recently I was still able to get H2, the Military Channel, all the other channels that actually show historical based stuff.

I recently had to switch cable providers and now I don't get "the other channels" included anymore so I'm back to just having THC. It's pretty annoying, but this morning I was able to catch "The Bible" which actually turned out to be pretty good. I also saw commercials for "Sons of Liberty" which I'm genuinely looking forward to next year.

I feel like I can't complain enough about the way THC has gone with their programming. I don't know why I should have to pay extra money to see actual historical based content on "other" channels because THC is too busy airing crap about people bidding to move items and other nonsense. Netflix is no help because as far as I've found, THC doesn't really show up on there.

Oh well, back to reading I go I guess....

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 08:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

history channel used to be awesome man.
then youre right. the reality show crap started. it was slow at first with a little sprinkle of shows that were ok.
think pawn stars. ok for a season or 2.
now it is is cajun pawn, american pawn.....
pitbulls and parolees...are you serious?
american restoration. american this american that.....

it really bites.

i used to love all the history of the bible shows. the bible code and modern marvels was the best.
loved those.
they made anything interesting.
modern marvels: cement...1 hour of awesomness.

now if/when they put those shows on they are reruns from 2005.

they used to play the history of the irish in american every year on st pats day. that was my jam. watched it every year but i dont think they do it anymore.

also, there is only so many times i can hear about hitler taking pills you know.

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Five syllables...

Capitalism.

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 09:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: mcx1942
Five syllables...

Capitalism.

Oh believe me, I know WHY they did it. I just can't understand reality TV to begin with, so it makes no sense to me how it's actually working for them to do this. It boggles my mind.

@ Grovit - totally agree. Pawn Stars I like, same with American Pickers. but all the off-shoots and spin-offs that have come along are too much. I just don't see the need for 27 shows about the same thing. Especially when you could be putting "Hitler's Last Days" on for the 47th time this year....

just kidding. But seriously, they had some wonderful shows and some wonderful personalities that have gone by the wayside in favor or 12 different versions of Pawn Stars. LAME

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 09:11 AM
link   

You nailed it...there were about 3 channels left that I would consider watching a few years ago. I mentioned on here earlier I never buy a tv unless the current gf I have wants me to get one. I watch nothing besides a few TV series and movies if they look really good. Its like they are desperately trying to do anything new...and even the ufo stuff I used to like has gotten so bizarre. South Park did a hilarious mockery of the History Channel that was spot on. As you said ....back to reading. I think I read bout 50 books this year.

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 09:34 AM
link   
a reply to: rockpaperhammock

agreed. my TV is on about 3 channels, and that's it. and half the time that's just for background noise while I read lol.

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 09:34 AM
link   
It really disgusts me, too. I remember a time when they showed things that actually had to do with history instead of the crap they have on now. I think it's another case of dumbing down the populous. These stupid shows remind me of something you'd see on Idiocracy or Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (Where books are outlawed and people watch stupid crap on TV).

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 09:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark
It really disgusts me, too. I remember a time when they showed things that actually had to do with history instead of the crap they have on now. I think it's another case of dumbing down the populous. These stupid shows remind me of something you'd see on Idiocracy or Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury (Where books are outlawed and people watch stupid crap on TV).

Good pull! I hadn't made that connection before but it totally works.

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 09:45 AM
link   
I completely agree with you. Between History and H2 there are sometimes decent programs that deal with actual historical issues, but this is the exception. I sometimes watch Pawn Stars, but the show is not really genuine, in that the main guys do not actually work the floor of the pawn shop, like ever, and the shop is actually closed when they're doing their filming. I suppose that doesn't really alter the show, but aren't we supposed to be getting "reality television?" Personally I HATE reality shows, for the most part. The only ones I will watch, aside from the above, is Museum Men, which is pretty cool. I've also been watching the Curse of Oak Island, mainly because I've always had an interest in that mystery, but it is plainly obvious that the show is the only reason that the Michigan group are listening to all the crazy ideas of random people.

My main interest lies in military studies, and every once in a great while the History Channel would have programming of this nature. There were shows like Battles BC, and the old Civil War Journal episodes, among many others...But they rarely show such things anymore. To be honest I would be happier if they would do away with all the reality shows, even the ones I don't mind watching, because they have nothing to do with history. Unless we are talking about the history of last week. And don't get me started on the "alien" shows. Is this what people truly wish to watch? Obviously they are going with programming that draws the most viewers, so they've apparently been experiencing an increase in viewers since they've begun showing such dumbed-down shows. But I suppose that just because I like 2 or 3 of the new shows does not mean that everyone does, and perhaps others like to watch some of the similar shows that I hate. So by including a wide variety of similar reality shows, they are ensuring that they capture the interest of the widest variety of viewers.
edit on 12/21/14 by JiggyPotamus because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 09:52 AM
link   
it is not only History channel that went down the tubes, but also National Geographic and Discovery Channel. It is as though they are dumbing these channels down to the level of 5 year old kids, and putting quotes from experts in the wrong context, making things soooooooo dramatic that it does not even resemble reality anymore, total idiots for presenters, blurring out every second item or logo, and don't let me get started on those idiotic reality shows....

I totally stopped watching those crappy channels, and rather watch BBC nature channels.

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Shamrock...although we've had our disagreements, I completely see where you're coming from and actually agree with you for once !!! (LOL

Henry Rollins said TV was going to get so stale with reality TV, that he said reality TV was going to produce a suck show like "This is my sh*tty job"....and whereas I love Dirty Jobs....he's talking about shows featuring file cabinets and factory line workers...yepp, a whole hour of tedium and mental pablum....

Don't forget...they have to appeal the brain dead modern day generation that could give a crap about boring things like Hitler...or Tesla...or B. Franklin...or the war of the roses.

Who in the hell would want to know about THOSE things....BLECH...so "old school"...

I say we take off and nuke the entire generation from orbit...

- NF

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 10:03 AM
link   
a reply to: JiggyPotamus

The Curse of Oak Island is a favorite of mine, but when they were in France and Scotland the last two weeks my first thought was "shark, consider yourself jumped." Totally agree the ONLY reason those guys went overseas was because the show wanted them to. Still love the show, but I love the show because of the history and explanations, not because of the show itself.

@ Hellhound - I also lost BBC and BBC America. I can't even watch Top Gear anymore

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Isn't their reasoning that everything will eventually be history, meaning shows about truckers, lumberers and whatever is kind of history too? I agree with the OP though, it makes no sense. At least when they used to call it the Hitler channel it had history programs, even if the WW2 ones accounted for 90% of them.

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Pawn stars and pickers at least deal with some history.
But ax men and swamp hillbillies?

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 10:23 AM
link   
i have to admit
i love down east dickering

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Why don't they just call it The Pawn Star Channel instead of The History Channel?

Every time we turn it on it is big mouth, know it all Rick 24/7.

Jeeesh - he owns a Pawn Shop with two dufuss boys and a grumpy old bump of a father...unless he recently completed his Master's in History - shut up Rick!

Rant over.

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Missmissie173

It's been like that for a couple of years now...

The fact that Discovery HD Showcase airs programmes about repairing cars or some old stuff rather than exploring nature is the same paradox.

All these channels are pretty screwed up IMHO.
That's why I watch only HBO in the evening and some music channels. Other channels are not worth of taking a look at their schedule.

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I still like the History Channel. I'm finding that I like Destination America these days just as much. I know the reality 'Buying Alaska' and those types are scripted and staged, but for some reason I like them.

And yes, I admit it, I like Pawn Stars. I know it's a staged and scripted reality TV show, but by golly I like watching the old stuff come through the shop. My Pawn Stars Thread .

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

I get it man. I like seeing some of the old stuff that comes through the shop and hearing the history on it. That's why I like american pickers. Don't get me wrong, there's some shows on there I like. But it's not the "go to" for me like it used to be. I used to be able to veg out to the history of rome for hours on end. Now I get "pawnography" marathons.

But I understand your point. Way better than I understand being a Flyers fan

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
I get it man.

I'm a girl.

Way better than I understand being a Flyers fan

Hey .. we destroyed Toronto last night.

I like seeing some of the old stuff that comes through the shop and hearing the history on it.

Exactly. I know it's scripted and that the guys in the shop know ahead of time before the stuff comes through so they can read up. I understand it's a fake situation, but I still love seeing the old stuff and hearing the backgrounds. But for the life of me, I don't understand how they can give people such big chunks of money for stuff that is just junk. Sometimes I'm sitting there just going ... 'wth??"

top topics

<<   2 >>

join