It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survival in Post WWIII U.S. Comparison to Post WWII Germany

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Forgive me as I have not given this idea too much thought and even less research, however, after hearing so many comparisons of the current U.S. government and the WWII Nazi Germany government, I wanted to consider some comparisons.

Most of the comments I've heard are comparisons with pre-WWII Germany under Hitler, but supposing this is a real trend and the States ends up like Nazi Germany, what would that scenario be like in a post WWIII world?

Now I don't want to go too much into physical infrastructure damage and livability in the wake of nuclear or biological warfare, but I would at least want to make some kind of a baseline comparison with what happened to Germany after Hitler went on the war path and was defeated.

With just the first cursory glimpse of post WWII Germany, it took ten years before West Germany had a military and sovereign rights, and 45 years before East and West Germany was finally reunified. The allied nations carved up the pie and maintained control for a long time but I get the feeling that in a post WWIII world, with the U.S. as the bad guys, it would be a lot longer, if ever, that the U.S. was allowed to control its own affairs.

I want to look at the general conditions faced by the populous of Germany after WWII and try to determine what conditions might be like for a post WWIII United States that has emulated the Nazis of WWII.

I'm going to go deeper for a little longer and add to the post with some more consideration, but I wanted to get the idea out there before I end up going to sleep.

ETA: Comparisons to the other axis powers would be good to throw in the mix too.

edit on 21-12-2014 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Added extra comment

edit on 21-12-2014 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Typo

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 05:33 AM
link   
It seems that Germany's economy was held back by a lot of restrictions after the war. So we could expect at least ten years of bad economic conditions in the U.S. in the same scenario.

. . . Europe experienced unprecedented economic growth after WWII. Germany continued to struggle economically due to punitive measures put into place against it after the war. By the early 1950s, despite encouraging growth, European economies had reached a point of stagnation. It was determined that an inability to trade with Germany was a major reason. Alleviating penalties resulted in a positive impact for the rest of Western Europe. However, the initial adjustment was to simply reduce penalties, while still imposing manufacturing limits. When all production limits were lifted, Germany and the rest of Western Europe realized a much greater economic surge, since Europe depended on Germany's manufacturing and industrial capabilities.

www.worldology.com...

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 05:36 AM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

i used to work for a guy who lived in berlin during and after ww2 ,he did not talk alot about it but one day i took a box of veggies to him i grew and he promptly removed the pumpkins telling me he would never eat a pumpkin again....his explanation was during the war all he had to feed himself was a very small plot of land on which he grew pumpkins,he then explained he knew every recipe known to man for breakfast lunch,dinner and desert and a result hated them which is understandable if i had eaten only pumpkins for years i would hate them too

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 05:44 AM
link   
It sounds like, in Germany, that first three years after the war was really bad for the general population. I suppose that in our case, it could be multiplied given the less forgiving nature of the other world powers that might become our enemies in a post world war situation.

The first several years after World War II were years of bitter penury for the Germans. Their land, their homes, and their property lay in ruin. Millions were forced to flee with nothing but the clothes on their backs. Tens of millions did not have enough to eat or to wear. Inflation raged. Parker pens, nylon stockings, and Camel cigarettes represented the accepted, if not the legal, tender of the time. Occupation projections showed that the average German would be able to purchase a plate every five years, a pair of shoes every twelve years, and a suit every fifty years.

ETA: Things started to get better after they reformed the currency three years after the war

. . . currency reform: the abolition of the Reichsmark and the creation of a new currency, the deutsche mark. He carried out that reform on June 20, 1948, installing the new currency with the concurrence of the Western Allies but also taking advantage of the opportunity to abolish most Nazi and occupation rules and regulations in order to establish the genesis of a free economy. The currency reform, whose purpose was to provide a respected store of value and a widely accepted legal tender, succeeded brilliantly. It established the foundations of the West German economy and of the West German state.

countrystudies.us...
edit on 21-12-2014 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Correction made

edit on 21-12-2014 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Added extra comments

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 06:00 AM
link   
And 65 years later, Germany has to bail out Greece, I bet some Germans wished they had kept the Deutchmark!

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 06:06 AM
link   
I would like to see what a war tribunal would do to our fearless leaders of this proposed Nazi States of America after a defeat in a world war. Some conjecture in this area is more than welcomed.

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 06:06 AM
link   

www.tomatobubble.com...

There is food for thought in that articles , can you trust you're friends like Poland found out will all the women be raped in America like in post war Nazi Germany

The Soviets executed 10,000 Polish Army officers at Katyn Forest. They would later try to blame it on the Germans. and remember the germans were gentlemen compared to what America would be fighting . think Ukraine 1930s where millions were murdered

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 06:14 AM
link   
a reply to: douglas5

I'm sure it would be harder on us as the new Nazis Douglas 5. Thanks for the consideration, your points are quite valid and I can foresee much worse than that if certain nations are involved.

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 06:42 AM
link   
A scenario with America like Nazis?
Perhaps something like.. a political party which was never revealed to the public kidnaps the media owners to give a real choice for voting (democracy is still one of the worst things to have, but at least that). It is a group which has read thousands of old stories, has combined religions to find accuracy.

Again the whole dark planet again unites and then attacks America without declaring war, forcing America to declare war to fight back. Within America the schools would be replaced, their own ideologies would replace the previous brainwash with something more spiritual, but not completely removing it, so people can, while they are still unstable, fight the aggressors. Everywhere group attempts are made to bring people together in the ideal view of the political party. A new vote cannot be made during the war, because covert ops take over music, films and media, making the mass vote for their own set up party. The wise are finally recognized and used to get higher technologies, but are unsure if the political party will do harm or remove harm in the end. At the same time mysteries of ancient documents are followed, again things like the inner earth are being attempted to reach. The war at the pole of the earth will lighten up again. Spiritually awakened will be attempted to find by seeking the older races, away from the new "chosen people". Perhaps the flag will again wield a sign like the sun or perhaps the moon..

Then as always, the main person of the political party is killed or the media claims he would be.
When everything is over, the media has its own version, everything was a lie, changes it more and more and denial will again get you to prison.

That's how I imagine a second Nazi like event in America.
edit on 21-12-2014 by oneoneone because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 06:45 AM
link   
If a Nazi United States were to commit the same level of atrocity that commonly accepted history tell us Germany committed in WWII, then we should be able to expect double the trouble considering we should have learned our lesson then. Given that premise, we should expect at least 6 years of really hard times, 20 years before we might get some of our country back and 90 years before we are whole again.

Just throwing that one out there with nothing to back it up.

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 06:50 AM
link   
a reply to: oneoneone

Thanks for the input oneoneone, but I was hoping for a bit more on the aftermath. I do appreciate the "lead up to" synopsis you gave, a different angle worth pursuing in the analysis.

edit on 21-12-2014 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Typo

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Like this?

Then America has to pay reparations to England, France and the UN and pay back ignored unreal debts to the world bank, rules to make it a real amount are made in trade for services and more laws, America signs a contract for different weird rules. People help each other rebuilding parts of the houses people live in.

Unlike Germany, America has enough land to live from their own food, not needing to recover from the lack of food due to trade blocks from the planet.
Nowadays wars are more covert ops than strategical damage. Many relatives are dead by randomly bombing people, people have to fight their emotions and help each other get over it.

Wars are usually used to update the controlling system of an area.

Germany was split up into many countries and songs about Germany being larger forbidden, to split up to make people fewer in possible future resistances and to hide history, including that of the romans.
The last standing with own will before the others come.

Nazis probably didn't see harm in black skinned ones, as their majority did not exploit the system for their own good and neither seemed to verbally attack others.
America is so large, I have no clue what the slavers would do if they would plan to split up another grouping -together- ideology. It's too risky.
edit on 21-12-2014 by oneoneone because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 07:20 AM
link   
a reply to: oneoneone

If it was decided to split up the States, it wouldn't be along the lines we would prefer, like you say, it is to weaken any future power base.

However, I believe that the debt will be paid in the best properties and land that we would have to offer in such an aftermath. There will be no real United States, because we will have very few states left to work with and reunification would never happen enough to makes us whole again.

"Poor Eggman, fallen off the wall, will never be together again." Counting Crows

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Germany had the whole country believing in Hitler and his ideas. USA has everyone believing in the wars and spread of democracy. I think its amazing Hitler did it and even more so now with all the info on the internet available to the US citizen. After WWII what was the attitude of the average German citizen? Will ours be the same?

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Rich, powerful hypocrites rarely see the inside of a courtroom, much less jail. I wouldn't hold your breath on that one!
It would be a few, less powerful people that would be made examples of just to make it look like something was accomplished.

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Possible ..
1. occupation
2. arrest and trial of leaders and senior military officers.
3. shortages/ rationing of basic items and food
4.disbanding/severely limiting the remaining military
5.. restructuring of government
6, economic restructuring

Black market will flourish for a time along with lawlessness ..
It will be very ugly for everyone ...

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 08:30 AM
link   

I could see huge areas of America being taken over by Foreign interests who were owed money ,and maybe the people moved off the land their forefathers fought for . to make way for the new owners ,

All to often in history we see country's carved up after wars

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 10:04 AM
link   
If you are interested in learning what occurred after WWII in Germany, there is an even greater source of information, considering that within the span of decades Germany was not only defeated twice, but the populace had to endure mass hardship on each occasion. The strict terms of the Treaty of Versailles in 1919, at the end of WWI, was the primary cause of WWII, and this is what allowed Hitler to captivate the populace of Germany in the first place. Things were so bad after WWI that Germany was not only looking for someone to blame, but for a savior, which they found in Hitler. Very few statesmen realized after WWI that another war was inevitable, but it was plainly obvious to some.

Anyway, think of the fact that your entire country could be destroyed by the end of a war. Industries are non-existent, you cannot go down to the store and buy food, etc. This means that the average person cannot even get the things they need to survive. Then on top of that you usually have some form of sanctions placed on the defeated nation(s), whereby they have to give compensation to the victors. Such was the case after WWI, and severe restrictions were placed on the German military as well, considering that the winning nations did not want Germany to start a new war. They had to keep their armed forces below 100,000 men if I remember correctly, they could not have warships weighing over a certain tonnage, etc...Hitler got around some of these stipulations, such as when building the pocket battleship Graf Spee, by leaving off armor plating and making the ship relatively light for its firepower, while he completely disregarded these stipulations in other areas.

In fact, one of the only reasons that Germany rose to the level of a world power prior to the outbreak of WWII was the fact that Hitler rearmed and rebuilt the German military, which created tons of new jobs. Even after the war there were many who did not believe that Hitler committed the atrocities that he did, primarily because about half of the German population viewed the guy as the savior of Germany. And this is understandable, considering he turned an impoverished nation completely around, to the point that they were powerful enough to challenge not only one of the most powerful military forces on the planet, but three of them. Many people do not realize that the war was Hitler's to win or lose between 1939 and 1942, and perhaps even 1943, depending on how you view the situation. Not only was Hitler mainly responsible for building up Germany after WWI, he was almost solely responsible for its destruction. Anyway, after a war any nation can expect things to be exceptionally difficult. As far as parallels between Nazi Germany and the United States, I do not think these are comparable. Nazi Germany was much more similar to Soviet Russia than to the US, even the US today. One of the problems in the US comes from too much power being diversified, and not enough oversight. In Nazi Germany you had centralized power, and you knew who to blame for violations of inalienable rights, whereas in America it is much harder to place blame with any accuracy.

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 11:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Expat888

I can't tell if most posters have the position that we lost WWIII or simply were battered to the extreme by it with nuke blasts in cities, DC infrastructures out of commission, etc. In either case, the United States would not remain as it is. Even if our enemies were heavily injured, most of them are still living in something less than the opulence of the average American and they would find ways to gain a foothold into our country and ravage it amongst themselves. Only if the majority of Americans remain armed as they are now, would we stand a fighting chance.

Some of you tend to equate what happened to the Axis powers after WWII to a possible scenario here after WWIII. I detect no clue to what we did for them with the Marshall Plan, the Berlin Airlift and many economic boosts to get them back to being self-sustaining. Frankly, that is part of the reason why those economies have surpassed the US over the decades.

Additionally, some nations have little regard for the conquered and treat them unmercifully, always have and always will. That is a basic nature of conflicting political systems. The typical tactic through the ages is destroying large populations of the subjugated and treated those remaining as slaves. You think that the Chinese or Russians would WANT to keep the US much as it is? That would be the height of dreaming for a liberal, anti-gun idiot--or use shorthand to call that person simply a progressive.

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 03:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

You have a point there about other scenarios, one in which the States are conquered, one where there is a stalemate and another where we win. I was thinking we wouldn't stand a chance if everyone on the planet beat on us, but who knows? Maybe we will have enough allies or some surprise weapons that turn the tide. This is purely conjecture, so every angle is welcomed.

ETA: No need to consider mutual destruction, there would be no countries left to discuss.

edit on 21-12-2014 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Added extra comment

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join