It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ignoring. Rude but effective.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I've noticed this lately. Not only here but on other sites as well. People throw stuff onto the Net, hoping something will stick, and then people blow that theory out of the water. Often by the OP's source. What happens then? Ignore. On to the next BS post that has no logic. Hey, fits some people's agenda.... until it's shown wrong...again. Then more ignore. It works though. One can still post junk as fact as long as you don't have to defend a crappy position. Nothing one can do about that....except to note the propaganda. Really getting tired of this.

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 04:48 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

A mod will be along shortly to put this in the rant forum

Seriously though I agree.
Seen it more than a few times in the last couple of months.

I blame the mods that don't delete the threads

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Ya it's happening here a lot. A whole lot actually. Not just with a new posts either. There are many single posts which are nothing but someone's BS opinion stated as fact that regardless of how many posts are made after it showing it to be false they are just ignored and usually re-stated again after it dies down a bit.

I think it's so they get the first and last post in because many people will read the opening and then skip to the last post to see a possible outcome so if they just tag both ends it looks like they are winning the debate. However the truth is there is no debate or even conversation happening. Just "drive by" propaganda posting.

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

I felt the same way but I don't think it's justified to blame the mods. Expecting the mods to remove stuff is tricky because it promotes censorship which can get out of hand. I think it's much more true to blame the people responsible for posting in a disinfo style that is only done to trick people.

While I agree it would be nice if mods removed them, there will always be cases where a mod might overstep and then you compile one problem on another.

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Damn, Damn.

Double, Double.

Post, Post.

edit on 20-12-2014 by mOjOm because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

I was joking, my friend, that's what the smileys were for.

I actually prefer that mods don't delete those threads, so the people who post them can be taught a valuable lesson by everyone else.

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 05:02 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

Oh. I have smiley blindness sometimes, my bad!!

Seriously though I've actually thought about how nice it would be if the mods did remove some of the bogus threads that get thrown out there though. Sometimes it's very obvious that they were started for dishonest reasons. But I quickly remember that it would lead to unjust removals too and that's a bad thing. (no joke)

What sux is that you can't teach a lesson to someone who doesn't engage in the conversation. Sure you can post a counter argument but it does no good when they ignore it and just keep repeating the same BS over and over. Politicians us that tactic all the time and it works for them too.

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 05:07 PM
link   

I think it is something to be concerned about. ATS is the top site for me, because of constructive conversations, passionate debating and respect from the majority of people. But if this issue continues, it will ruin the good ATS reputation!

But this is just how I see it.

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 05:20 PM
link   
a reply to: IndependentAgent

Like I said, it's not just here. It's systemic on the Net. Post something that says what is your agenda.... whether it's true of not. Then leave it there if challenged and proven wrong. That's not discussion. That's just propaganda.

+6 more 
posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Are you talking about things like Jesse Ventura's threads?

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 05:22 PM
link   

"Opinions are like sphincters, everybody has One and everybody else's stinks..." What is worse than hearing "Psst, You sat in some peanut butter, right on the seam too, looks as if You've sh''snip'' Your pants, oh wait...." Or "I'd fire Your laundry person" This is probably best as I've tried the first approach and well the Lady took offense. It also places the 'blame' on someone other than the person wearing the soiled trousers, isn't that penalty enough??

I'm certain I'm guilty. I'm now getting ready to head to the local hospital and head straight to the "Admitting Room"

Have a better day!

namaste

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 05:29 PM
link   
A hit and run post can sometimes be the result of time pressures. Where someone wants to say something, but hasn't the time to follow up.

However, that said,
I get super peeved when someone starts a thread
and then never gets back to it.

I think the T&C should include the responsibility to check in on one's thread at least once per day while there are still active posts going on. If someone starts a thread and ignores it for more than 12 hours, then it should be grounds to close the thread.

That is just my opinion.

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 06:34 PM
link   
a reply to: IndependentAgent

I would honestly appreciate an ignore feature. Some posters over time prove themselves to be so biased and ignorant that I don't want to even have to see their stupid dancing gif. Speaking of annoying gif's, some posts I skip by because their gif is so annoying.

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 06:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
I've noticed this lately. Not only here but on other sites as well. People throw stuff onto the Net, hoping something will stick, and then people blow that theory out of the water. Often by the OP's source. What happens then? Ignore. On to the next BS post that has no logic. Hey, fits some people's agenda.... until it's shown wrong...again. Then more ignore. It works though. One can still post junk as fact as long as you don't have to defend a crappy position. Nothing one can do about that....except to note the propaganda. Really getting tired of this.

Yes, I have noticed that too. Unfortunately the mayhem that can ensue if someone does attempt to point out something genuinely dodgy about the veracity of the OP, (as in original post) taken from a third party and even more the presumptions contained in an OP which are elaborations on the third party story as if it is the only way to go intellectually, and everybody shut up about anything else can be more damaging to any kind of truth, and not the fiction.

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Sometimes the most powerful thing you can say is nothing at all...

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 06:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Murgatroid

Which would work if one hadn't made a bogus claim to start with.

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Bogus claims on ATS?

Howie... Can't be! ~ Howie Mandel

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 07:24 PM
link   
' You say it best, when you say nothing at all.'

Now that is really understanding someone.

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 07:25 PM
link   
a reply to: noeltrotsky

Sometimes it's hard reading what someone's saying because their avatar is having a seizure. I personally don't use them.

Best way to avoid conflict is to ignore the poster you disagree with. Sometimes it's tempting to weigh in but it's often not worth it.

The ultimate test of "internet character" is being able to agree with a poster you've disliked for so long, even if for a second.

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 08:42 PM
link   

People throw stuff onto the Net, hoping something will stick, and then people blow that theory out of the water.

Lots of sinkable theories out there. And cults that follow them.

This is the land of Disney, Church, TV, Gaming, Circuses, and Sports. Is there anything real anymore? Is everyone just being conditioned to regurgitate what they hear and ignore what others think?

Big yes.

Bring them…

top topics

<<   2 >>

join