It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas Officer Shoots, Kills Mentally Ill Man Holding a Spoon

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 06:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

originally posted by: roadgravel

I was talking about a cop doesn't get to run away from things.

They also shouldn't get to kill anyone in a situation they do not understand or are unsure of what is happening.

What did he not understand? That the guy had a spoon and not a knife? Yes, he should've waited till it bounced off his chest to determine the nature of the shiny metal object.

Major cop out. The police don't have to be aggressive to the point of needing to kill a person because they don't know whether they are armed with a deadly weapon. This is the problem that is going to be addressed by protocol or violence from the public. The police can choose which way.

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 06:02 PM
link   

a reply to: deadeyedick

www.policeone.com...

There ya go. It's full of science and experiments. Now you can drop your crap line of how 21 feet is such a monumental gap that there's plenty of time to do....whatever.

Side note: I have no duty to retreat from an attacker who is coming at me. Maybe where you live, you do. But I don't. I don't get to run away from things or people that wish to do me harm.

Don't start twisting my words again. I never made th claim you alledge here in your post.

I never said you have to retreat from anything.

Perhaps you mistook my post for another.

Your science will get you killed if you do not allow common sense to rule.

edit on 20-12-2014 by deadeyedick because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

And do you see me ever defending them?
I agree, it is all corrupt, don't see how that excuses those that are carrying out the orders though.

Get rid of the long standing judges and DA's, 100% agree.

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 06:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

And do you see me ever defending them?
I agree, it is all corrupt, don't see how that excuses those that are carrying out the orders though.

Get rid of the long standing judges and DA's, 100% agree.

Sorry!

I am just getting so sick and tired of seeing people bash the police, not being able to see the alternatives, and NOT addressing the REAL PROBLEM with our justice system! That would be the politicians, judges and lawyers who create the monsters that I see the gullible complaining about!

I am not saying we don't have some issues with police tactics, but God damnit! Have we become so collectively "STUPID" that we can't focus on the real culprits?

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 06:14 PM
link   

No worries, I can do the same when I get heated about something.

But yes the real criminals are the one's with the expensive suits and hair cuts.

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 06:28 PM
link   

I was talking about a cop doesn't get to run away from things.

They also shouldn't get to kill anyone in a situation they do not understand or are unsure of what is happening.

What did he not understand? That the guy had a spoon and not a knife? Yes, he should've waited till it bounced off his chest to determine the nature of the shiny metal object.

Major cop out. The police don't have to be aggressive to the point of needing to kill a person because they don't know whether they are armed with a deadly weapon. This is the problem that is going to be addressed by protocol or violence from the public. The police can choose which way.

If the officer was being aggressive there would've been no verbal commands issued. The officer issued commands and shot once. If you don't like why the officer isn't required to determine absolutely what a person's intentions are and whether the shiny object in their hand is a spoon handle or a knife, take it up with Supreme Court. There's any number of decisions that explain why.

Not a cop out at all sir.

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 07:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skaffa
Why shoot him in the chest?

Even if they come charging with a knife, fire a warning shot or aim for the legs FFS!

This is why. Please take the time to read this.

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 07:31 PM
link   

@ about 35s
edit on 2014-12-20 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Shhhh! dont worry.

in five years it will be so bad.
cops will just shoot you for ever thing.
Then and Only then will people rise up.

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 08:13 PM
link   
a reply to: deadeyedick

Another glaring example of shoot first....investigate second. The cop had a gun. Why did he shoot the man when he was unsure of what he was holding? I know! He gave a direct order. He was not obeyed. That was all the restraint the man needed before opening fire on a person with a close range, hand to hand weapon. I can't believe it....the "shank of the spoon". Where is this cop? The State penitentiary? It's called a handle moronic one. This language alone tells me that the cop was not in any fear for his safety. He is deliberately evoking images of a deadly weapon to describe a....spoon. If he truly thought he was in danger he would have described the "weapon" as what it was not what he imagined it was. Another pathetic police officer on the job.

Confirm that he actually has a blade before firing a shot into the man.

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 11:06 PM
link   
OK, now let me get this straight.
There were eight people in the house. Eight.
And one man outside banging on the doors and windows.
How does this scenario get exaggerated, twisted into a break-in ?
The smartest thing would have been to simply turn on all the house
lights, inside and out.
Some flakey people just have an over sensed imagination of a Hollywood movie.

Obviously the handicapped neighbor was trying to wake the occupants,
with all the noise and knocking- OBVIOUS.
Does anyone stop to think any more, or is everyone so far gone that
they just react without thinking ! damn
Must be the gmo's, or something besides fluoride in the water.
What if the guy was just trying to wake the neighbors because his grand ma
just had a stroke and he didn't know what to do.

Your brain is the best 'weapon', Reacting is not.

. . . . . . . .

edit on 20/12/14 by ToneDeaf because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 03:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Mkay...

ETA: Yep there are jobs more dangerous than being a cop. Yep there's a lot of paperwork. Yep there's a lot of time doing things that make up the definition of "routine." Seeing as I was referring to the non-routine things cops have to deal with, that's all pretty moot. Your bad day at the office is a copier running out of ink. A cop's bad day is an officer involved shooting.

How many people killed in workplace shootings in 2013?
The answer is 405.
How many were cops?
The answer is 26.

Seems to me that a lot more people having a bad day at work are not cops.

How many people can tell any person on the street what to do.... for whatever reason they dream up.... and then shoot them if they do not comply immediately?

Cops have the edge there.

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 06:59 AM
link   
What if the guy was just trying to wake the neighbors because his grand ma
just had a stroke and he didn't know what to do.

if she dies, she dies

obviously he was banging on the window trying to break it, obviously

what if the family inside had been the victim of a home invasion before and were simply scared and called the police which was perfectly in their rights.
unless you have been a victim of that you have no idea what it does to you.
you never forget it

it happened to me 30 years ago and i still remember the guys name. i was 7 when it happened

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 07:03 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

how many home invasions every year?

www.fbi.gov...

In 2010, there were an estimated 2,159,878 burglaries

Of all burglaries, 60.5 percent involved forcible entry

Burglaries of residential properties accounted for 73.9 percent of all burglary offenses

i know the data is from 2010 but you get the idea
how silly of that family to think they were about to be victims....it hardly ever happens

it was far more likely this guy was banging on the window with his spoon cause he was looking for fruity pebbles

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 07:14 AM
link   

so....not enough cops have been killed to support my argument? seriously? I mean we can talk about the differences all day long if you really want to go there about it. I don't think anybody works for H&R Block and wakes up every morning with the realization that today could be the day something happens, but if that's your opinion, you're welcome to it.

and yes, cops do get to tell somebody what to do (drop the knife/gun/the whatever that is that is shiny and looks like it could be a knife in your hand but could be a spoon I guess) when they respond to a call for a home invasion/burglary and then do have the right to shoot the person who appears to be holding a weapon while advancing on them, ignoring the officer's lawful verbal commands, and that person elects continue to do what they want to do.

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 07:29 AM
link   

so you would assume the guy would try to kill you if he did not listen and advanced on you?
not cool dude...not cool at all

i would assume he was a mental defective and simply wanted to share a bowl of creme of wheat

some people

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 07:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Grovit

probably just saw somebody carrying in a brand new box of froot loops. I mean, who doesn't like those?

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 07:38 AM
link   

i see your fruit loops and raise you fruity pebbles
get some

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 08:17 AM
link   

No. It is just that cops have a holier than thou attitude... As if no one else is responsible for other peoples lives. Do doctors and nurses save peoples lives?
They also have to deal with people dying because of their mistakes.
Do doctors ever stand in front of the mayor and get a citation because they saved a life?

You act like you are going to die every day. That is why I submitted the fact that thwrw are far more dangerous professions.

And a cop, given their special privileges, should never break the law.... But they do... With impunity.

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Yes, doctors and nurses do get awards. From the medical community. They don't work for the city or county, so why would they get awards from the city or county? If you think doctors and nurses should get awards from the city/county, then nominate them for one. My county has a program that allows anybody to nominate anybody to be considered for an award by the board of supervisors, and people from all walks of life have received awards and been named in resolutions.

I don't act like I'm going to die every day. I act like it's a possibility, and more of a possibility than your average citizen faces on a day to day basis. I've never denied that there are more dangerous professions. Those people also recognize that their profession carries certain inherent dangers on a day to day basis. I'm fairly certain that commercial fishermen know that every time they go out, they face a certain level of risk and danger. I don't take that away from them, so I'm not sure why you're so hell bent on ignoring that law enforcement faces a certain level of risk and danger every day.

As to your final comment: I agree, to an extent. I don't think that every cop who breaks the law gets away with it. I do recognize that some, even many, do. But not all. And I completely agree that officers shouldn't violate the trust and responsibility they are entrusted with.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join