It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas Officer Shoots, Kills Mentally Ill Man Holding a Spoon

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 05:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

But it wasn't it was a spoon so what is your point?

If we insert facts into that equation I guess he gets a chest full of spoon.
Again, very deadly I am sure.

my point is it could have been.
in that situation nothing is absolute

sure, it could have been a spoon(it was)
it also could have been a knife.

i think when you are in a situation where you are facing a man that was just trying to break into a house and is holding a metal object, you dont assume he has the mentality of a child with a spoon that wants to play tea party.

im pretty sure you know that though so im not gonna debate this with you anymore

youre right though
he had a spoon
he is dead
bfd

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 05:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

Well the article says "dimly lit." And it's the middle of the night. I doubt it was brightly lit but you're right, I don't think I've been to this woman's house so I don't know how well lit it is.

The man holding a spoon was shot for making his spoon appear to be a knife, ignoring verbal commands, and advancing on officers. Waiting to see if the object that could be a spoon handle, but could also be a knife blade, bounces off one's chest is a poor way of determining whether it's a spoon or a knife.

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 05:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Grovit

really you are gonna buy the 21 ft bs.

what mental midget stands in place while someone running at him approaches the 21ft mark then decides his only option is too get stabbed cause he is defensless. That whole scenerio is shat and oes not have roots in reality. for one thing if a person is 21 ft away they will not have time to get up to speed to match any of the times portrayed in the scenerio. Do you get it? If we are standing 21 ft apart and you begin to run at me i have lots of time to kill you and the figures of less than 2 sec. are not real. The second is that people do not mysteriously appear 21 ft in front of you in a full run. however if someone does run at you at full speed the person with their feet planted always have the benefit of balance and using the runners momentum against them. It is the most unlikely thing that anyone would stand there in place trying to draw a weapon even if people could appear out of thin air 21 ft. away.

me with a gun and you with a knife 21 ft. apart and you start to charge you lose everytime. It is not a real world exercise because even if a runner comes from around a corner running and you are 21 ft from the corner the runner still eats up time making the turn. That argument does not even bolong in logical discussions.

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 05:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs

I'd assume it's standard procedure to stop the threat.

If the first two shots miss then switch to the chest.

That's just my opinion though.

they did stop the threat, as trained

my opinion is if the first couple shots miss the leg you could be dead

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 05:15 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

Theoretically, sure. What about the two rounds that missed though? They went somewhere. They landed somewhere. That's why we don't fire warning shots. Warning shots land somewhere. If you have to shoot, you take the highest percentage shot available to you.

link   
a reply to: deadeyedick

ok.
youre right and i am wrong
not gonna get into it for the millionth time
i bow down to your kim jon un like supreme greatness
edit on 20-12-2014 by Grovit because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: mOjOm

Sometimes a spoon is nothing to mess around with ya know.

You could take a wild spoon to the chest or eye and you're totally forked!!

I just can not figure out why the cops had a spoon in the car to begin with.

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 05:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Ya shooting him is just so much easier.
The 'book' protects you so might as well.

Again, he guessed it was a knife and guessed wrong and a man is dead over it.
Wonder what would happen to me if I did that.....

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 05:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grovit

Officer Brent Lawing responded to a 9-1-1 call about a burglary shortly after 2:00 a.m. and found Grigsby in a “dimly lit” garage on the property. Police allege that Grigsby was holding a “metal object,” and approached the officer “aggressively.” The officer claims that he commanded Grigsby to stop, but Grigsby ignored his commands, forcing the officer to fire one shot into his chest, killing him.

This officer sounds like a coward and I wouldn't want him on the job in my community.
edit on 20-12-2014 by AgentShillington because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 05:18 PM
link   

my point is it could have been.

And my point is that it wasn't and we both know that so stop with the what if this and what if that.

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 05:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

Wonder what would happen to me if I did that.....

well that depends?
are you a cop responding to an attempted home invasion?

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 05:22 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

Sounds like the cop didn't want to take a chance.

If he missed the person most likely will continue to approach. I really feel bad the person is dead but I doubt the cop knew he was challenged (am I missing something in that article? Was Grigsby known by local LEOs?). So far to me it appears that the officer believed it was a person with a knife who didn't stop and posed a threat. A wounded person can still mess you up...

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 05:22 PM
link   

So it depends on which set of laws I have to follow?

Guess that is true.

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 05:23 PM
link   

There is no spoon.

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 05:23 PM
link   

nah.
i think i will keep it up.
only a couple ways to tell if it was an actual knife

one was to shoot and the other was to wait and see what gets buried in their chest

cop chose the 1st option

oh well.
it is what it is.

i guess the moral of the story is if you attempt to break into someones house and then dont put down and unidentified metal object when the cops tell you to, you take a bullet.

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Until we get video on every cop, we won't know the truth. In the last few years we have seen more LEO corruption than ever. Here's one I read about today:

A San Francisco sheriff's deputy allegedly choked and beat a hospital patient who walked with a cane - then lied on the police report to cover his tracks.

Michael Lewelling, 33, was accused of approaching a sleeping man as he started to wake up, knocking away his walking cane, grabbing his neck, then arresting him.

He then filed a police report claiming that the man started the fight by attacking him with the cane, according to authorities, who say surveillance video proves he was lying.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

It's happening too often. It's like these cops just enjoy killing and beating other humans and believe they are above the law.

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 05:24 PM
link   

www.policeone.com...

There ya go. It's full of science and experiments. Now you can drop your crap line of how 21 feet is such a monumental gap that there's plenty of time to do....whatever.

Side note: I have no duty to retreat from an attacker who is coming at me. Maybe where you live, you do. But I don't. I don't get to run away from things or people that wish to do me harm.

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 05:25 PM
link   
I find it curious that the police, in the description of what happened, used the word 'shank' instead of the proper term for the end of a spoon that is opposite of the bowl.
That opposite end is called a 'handle'.
A shank serves to remind people of a weapon used in prisons.

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 05:27 PM
link   

He didn't guess, he decided based off the information at hand what the most likely outcome was.

What would happen to you if you tried to break into somebody's house in the middle of the night, and when confronted by police you ignored their commands to drop the shiny metal object in your hand, and then advanced on them in an aggressive manner? hopefully you have better sense than to do all of that in the first place?

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 05:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Why can't you just shoot them in the toe while they're running at you?

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join