It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Nebraska, Oklahoma sue over Colorado marijuana law

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 09:52 AM

originally posted by: IslandOfMisfitToys
a reply to: Xcathdra

Does that blood test determine if the "subject" is actually impaired or if there is THC metabolites in the system.

I'll let you figure out the difference.

In CO they are developing an "active THC" test.

There is a chemical difference between "Active THC" (delta-9 THC) and "inactive THC" (THC COOH) the liver metabolizes one of the hydrogen molecules from "Active TCH" to render it inactive over time. Just like your body processes alcohol over time, it also processes active THC over time (which is why a user is only high for about 3 hours after consumption).

They will begin using this test moving forward, so as to only issue tickets of DWI, and DUI when certain levels of "active THC" are present. Only then can these studies be taken seriously.

God Bless,

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 09:54 AM
a reply to: ElohimJD

Do you have a source for this? I haven't heard anything about such ideas.

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 10:02 AM
Here is an excerpt from an article explaining the metabolic process involved.

The Scientific Basics of THC and THC COOH (carboxy THC)

An example of useless information for determining marijuana-caused impairment is looking at urine in a lab. Urine is cheap and easy to test for the amount of one metabolite of THC. A metabolite is, simply put, a chemical produced by the body from another chemical taken into the body.

For our purposes, we’re looking at one of the hundred or so cannabinoids found in pot, delta-9 THC, being introduced into the body. That is the primary cannabinoid which gets us “stoned.” That is referred to as being “psychoactive.” The metabolite found in urine is inactive, having NO psychoactive effect. It is written THC COOH and read “carboxy THC.” It does not get anyone stoned. BUT, the metabolite is the chemical that may be found for weeks if not months after intake of the marijuana.

Being lipid (fat) soluble and not water-soluble (most medication is water-soluble) it is stored in the fat cells of the body for quite long after any impairing impact of the active THC remains. It may be found weeks or longer after the intake of marijuana, while the impairing effect of the active delta-9 THC may be almost gone within three hours more or less.

The level of the inactive cannabinoid THC COOH, found in blood or urine, reveals nothing about current impairment, and nothing about the time or amount of consumption. Contrary to the belief of some “experts” and of some prosecutors, the ratio of THC COOH to active THC also means nothing.

Since the metabolic process of the body converting (metabolizing) active THC into inactive carboxy COOH THC takes some hours, the presence of the inactive metabolite is arguably exculpatory, (showing a lack of guilt) because it indicates that the consumption was possibly not recent but was at least hours before the sample, blood or urine, was collected. The impairing effect of active THC appears to be most pronounced from about ½ hour to three or 4 hours after intake. This does NOT correspond to the blood level of active THC. The level in blood reaches a maximum almost immediately, and just as quickly drops in blood. This delay between blood level and impairment is described as “counterclockwise hysteresis.” It is noteworthy that mixing alcohol with marijuana causes impairment which is greater than would be expected from the blood levels.

Article By Leonard I. Frieling

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 10:04 AM

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Do you have a source for this? I haven't heard anything about such ideas.

Here is a link to USA today explaining the development of a new portable active THC breath-a-lizer for use in CO and WA.

God Bless,

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 10:38 AM

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 12:28 PM

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

originally posted by: wantsome
I voted for medical marijuana in my state I wish I wouldn't have. It's nothing more then a back door push for legalization. I voted for medical pot because like morphine I thought it could help the sick and dying. I didn't realize weed shops would be opening everywhere and people would be grossly abusing the system. I guess I was just naive. I know 14 year old kids that are getting their hands on medical weed. You can tell them what they might be doing could be harmful. They just say it's medicine it can't be that bad there aint nothing wrong with it.

That's BS. The kids with pot in their hands are buying it off of the black market not through legal dispensaries.

I have schizophrenia I was a heavy pot smoker until I came down with this illness. I've thought about trying CBD oil because I've read it might help with my illness. I have a friend with multiple sclerosis and he uses medical weed. I can't smoke the stuff if I do it's a paranoid psychosis for the duration of the high. I smoked it for years without any problems until my illness was triggered at age 22. I do believe that mj played a role in my condition.

In my opinion I would like to see the government get involved in sales and regulation. Cigarettes prescription drugs and alcohol are monitored marijuana needs to be also. Right now in my state the medical aspect is being severely abused by recreational uses.

The government IS involved with sales and regulation. Colorado setup its legal marijuana market to pretty much mirror how the alcohol market is ran (only buy over 21, need a special permit to sell, etc).
I never said kids were getting it from dispensaries. There is plenty of medical weed on the streets. It's practically everywhere in my state. My entire family smoke pot. I know plenty of other people that do it also. There is plenty of medical pot hitting the black market. And yes there are plenty of kids getting their hands on black market medical pot. One jackass I know has a medical card and is growing and selling the stuff on the black market. He was actually dumb enough to take pictures of his buds and post them on facebook. That didn't last long though he grew a brain after someone warned him. When he gets caught they're going to take all of his expensive toys he's bought himself.

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 12:38 PM
a reply to: wantsome

People will do what they can get away with (or what they think they can get away with). Marijuana shouldn't be illegal anyways, regardless if it is medical or not.

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 10:51 AM
Reds protect current forms of revenue against other pushing them out. That is their way. Max profit no sharing of the wealth. Cotton,plastics,fuel,medicine.Alcohol. ect.. are being protected by these people.a reply to: Sremmos80

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 11:00 AM
It's over folks this lawsuit will go nowhere. It's legal now.

And here's why.

Hinchey-Rohrabacher medical marijuana amendment

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 03:29 AM
a reply to: Realtruth

Except the legislation deals with medical marijuana where as Colorado's law decriminalizes it for recreational use.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 01:52 PM

originally posted by: nullafides
a reply to: centhwevir1979

Well, blame it on the Mexicans....

Mexican immigrants introduce recreational use of marijuana leaf

After the Mexican Revolution of 1910, Mexican immigrants flooded into the U.S., introducing to American culture the recreational use of marijuana. The drug became associated with the immigrants, and the fear and prejudice about the Spanish-speaking newcomers became associated with marijuana. Anti-drug campaigners warned against the encroaching "Marijuana Menace," and terrible crimes were attributed to marijuana and the Mexicans who used it.

- NF

That's a new one on me. It's more to do with Du Pont Corporation not wanting Hemp to take over the paper industry and demonizing the dope you can make from hemp!

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 02:12 PM
a reply to: WatchRider

That had a lot to do with the current situation. But, after the initial xenophobic fear of mexicans taking jobs right before the crash, the pile on just steamrolled and grew beyond belief.

Suffice it to say, it's all to be considered a factor in the demonization.

- NF

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 02:03 PM
Great thread. Real good posting by all!

I saw a cop or deputy on Aljazeera last night from Nebraska.
He said domestic violence/disturbance cases are way up,
and in many of these new cases, pot containers are found,
and more and more people are on pot from Colorado!

In 1979-1984 approx, Illinois kids ( Like myself and my friends ]
were driving up past the Wisconsin border to drink. The age
in Illinois was 21 . . . But just 20 miles north to the Wisconsin
border, the age was 18.

We swarmed to those little southern Wis bars to get our buzz!

Over those years, a 39% increase in late-night auto fatalities
due to drunk driving occurred from Ill/Wis border towns!

The newspapers called it: "BLOOD BORDER" in a series of articles
during the early to mid eighties. I personally lost a couple
friends, but it did NOT deter me. . .

The families of victims cried out to Congress for change.

Richmond, Ill. set up road blocks.

Finally, a nation-wide law went into effect in about 1986, I
believe, making all states' drinking age 21.

So this Marijuana legalization in Colorado and it's effect on
neighboring states is both legitimate, and non-sensical.

Fed law will have to go nationwide, they have no choice. The
money they are missing out on from prohibiting Marijuana
revenue to be deposited has got to be bothering them.

I was a kid in the 60's when hippies, bikers, Vietnam Vets all
seemed to fill the parks, and town squares, and campgrounds;
many of them openly used Marijuana, claiming it to open your
mind, and fill your heart with love, and turn war-mongers into
peace activists, etc... who knows, maybe they were right!

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 02:05 PM
a reply to: Realtruth

But that is for medical marijuana. This lawsuit is over recreational marijuana. They are two separate issues.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 07:08 PM

originally posted by: WatchRider

That's a new one on me. It's more to do with Du Pont Corporation not wanting Hemp to take over the paper industry and demonizing the dope you can make from hemp!

How do you explain the fact countries other than the US have criminalized possession and use of marijuana? Countries where DuPont does not have the clout as people claim about the US?

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 10:39 PM
a reply to: Xcathdra

This occurred, if I'm not mistaken, by a United Nations treaty.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 11:00 PM
a reply to: screwey

The days of the Reefer Madness propaganda are over. Seems like many members of law enforcement have not got the email.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 11:35 PM
Marijuana is a HUGE threat to some very powerful people. That is why it is demonised to much.

The fact it is illegal in most places and alcohol isn't speaks for itself.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 11:38 PM

originally posted by: ElohimJD
In CO they are developing an "active THC" test.

Thank goodness for that!

Maybe then people won't lose their jobs for having a substance detected in their system that... has no effect on the body whatsoever!
edit on 7/1/15 by NuclearPaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 07:19 AM
a reply to: jrod

Star, jrod!

I'm glad to have lived in this exciting time of transformation
by so many states...hope I'm alive when the FED changes it's

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>