It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tachyon Propulsion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 04:00 AM
link   
How would tachyon propulsed vehicles do within the atmosphere?
(Most likely it would just burn up because of friction)

First of, I guess we would never see the vehicle itself, since it moves faster than light. Secondly, would it just not smash into the ground because of the high velocity this craft must gain to use tachyon-propulsion. (Above speed of light) What would the secondary propulsion-system be in "low" altitude? -RAMJET/SCRAMJET-propulsion?

(Are these slowermoving (RAMJET/SCRAMJET) engines able of a takeoff of the runway, or are the engines in need of being in high altitude?)

Tachyons evidently gain speed while loosing energy. Lowest speed being lightspeed. As tachyons gain energy, they slow down. Could a tachyon thruster be used to brake speed? Or would it be need of a buffer/catalyst, like something else to start the breaking-sequence?
-Of course, a Tachyon-brake, would not be escpecially clever to mount in anything else than a spaceship. I can only imagine the view of a car using a tachyonbrake. hehe.

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 04:24 AM
link   
tachyon, are theoretical particles. I believe no one has observed them as of yet. Here is some more information on tachyons en.wikipedia.org... . I personally think they are usless as a propellant because they are massless. If we could somehow create a field of tachyons around an object and bound it to that object somhow could superluminal velocities be achieved?

[edit on 13-12-2004 by sardion2000]

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 04:31 AM
link   
Newer presentations of tachyon theory allow tachyons to actually have mass.

I haven't read up on this, but referandum is here:
(Recami, E. "Classical Tachyons and Possible Applications: A Review." Riv. Nuovo Cim. 9, 1-178, 1996)

This would make Tachyons "propulsionworthy" -although theoretical.

It is also a good thought to try to find out if Tachyons are bondable. Although we have to catch singularities first, yes.

typoediting

[edit on 13-12-2004 by Ulvetann]

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 04:37 AM
link   
Well we have been creating micro-singularities in atom-smashers ever since we started em up, it was just recently that they realized what some of the anomalies were and it was kind of shocking to alot as people only though black holes were these hugely massive things that sucked up everything in their path.

EDIT
Hmmm bondable seems the wrong word, maybe entagle is better.

[edit on 13-12-2004 by sardion2000]

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 05:04 AM
link   
Hm, I am not sure I get your point of statement here.
Tachyons aren't a biproduct of black holes, are they?
As far as I see/understand, they are a "positiv" product, not something that is created by black holes.

Or
Formulated in a more mundane way: If a filter was put between the sun and a black hole, the Tachyons would be collected before the lightbeam reached the black hole.

-In latter case, it would be possible (theoretical
) to make use of Tachs, without creating black holes?

Another good starters-link:
scienceworld.wolfram.com...

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 07:28 AM
link   
An alternative view on Tachyon use. www.abovetopsecret.com... (Speculative fiction short story)

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
An alternative view on Tachyon use.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
(Speculative fiction short story)

Very well written SO. I enjoyed it emensly.

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 04:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
An alternative view on Tachyon use.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
(Speculative fiction short story)

Good Story!

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ulvetann
Hm, I am not sure I get your point of statement here.
Tachyons aren't a biproduct of black holes, are they?
As far as I see/understand, they are a "positiv" product, not something that is created by black holes.

Well when you said this statment...

It is also a good thought to try to find out if Tachyons are bondable. Although we have to catch singularities first, yes.

When I think Singularity i think of Black Hole. I was not really alluding to the fact that black holes create these particles, allthough now that I really think about why not? We know Black Holes spews out gamme radiation. Why not tachyons? It's all hypothetical anyways, so do you know(or anyone else) if there are any concrete plans on trying to detect these particles? If so plz post the links.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Ulvetann

what makes you think the craft would need to enter the atmosphere ? they could use shuttle type craft . only time they would enter the atmosphere would be an emergency . in such a situation i could see them using fission or a type of anit grav .

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Tachyons if they exist have more momentum, in proportion to how much slower they travel. The faster they travel, the less energy they have.

They are also expected to loose gravitational energy as they travel. Thus speeding up. So the object of an tachyon engine would be to fire the particles as slowly as possible. This sounds great you would only need to fire a minor stream of tachyon particles at extremely slow speed to get amazing thrust.

However the problem remaining is no different from trying to fire mass particles at the speed of light. Where do you get the energy to accelerate them? Or in the case of the tachyon, to decelerate them, you must put the energy in. Remember it takes nearly infinite energy to accelerate a particle to the speed of light. The same would hold true for stopping the tachyon.

What you propel with an engine is of minor importance in comparison to what you use to power it in the first place.

posted on Nov, 12 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Firstly it would be unwise to use Tachyon particles within the atmosphere, this I will get to later.

Most think that Tachyons have no mass, and as far as we know this is still true, but say we create a device that can gather them around a Spaceship, this DOES NOT remove the weight that the Spaceship has. By this effectively then the Tachyons inherit the mass of the spaceship so to say. This then leads me to using it in the atmosphere. Now that the tachyons have a form of "mass" then bringing the spaceship to FTL in the planets atmosphere. This could have dangerous results. One byproduct of particle accelerators is antimatter. Now think for a minute Matter + Antimatter = 100 energy transfer. The spaceship traveling FTL in our atmosphere could have the same effects. Whats worse is that Antimatter in our atmosphere acts like a super hydrogen bomb. What happens it that when it comes into contact with matter it detonates. Being quickly consumed, yet its the radiation and the rest of that nasty stuff that expands outward rapidly and eventually it meets the top of our atmosphere, and is bounced back much like radio waves further compounding the expansion of this deadly explosion. With FTL technically the spaceship would be energy yet at the same time it has mass, ie plasma. Now think about Plasma traveling at the speed of light in our atmosphere. It would have a shock wave traveling at the speed of light so everything about it would be destroyed. Basically what I am saying is that using a Tachyon drive system in atmosphere is illogical. Now with space, we would have to clear the gravity well of any celestial body before activating it. The reason being is that even though the Tachyons don't have mass, the spacship does. Say you try going FTL with, lets say a Tachyon rail (using Tachyon particles like a monorail here on Earth), and you are still in the gravity well. Well there are hypothetically three out comes (if you can think of any others feel free to respond)

1.) You make it unscathed
2.) You make it yet you are hundreds of light years off of your target
3.) You're like that bug on your windshield.

That's just my two cents.

posted on Nov, 13 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by TheInfiniteSingularity

I'll give you a star for the cool nick and post. Seems you joined just to make that post. I will regard this as generally a good move. May your goats always give good milk.

I find tachyons interesting. I think government wouldn't let us have FTL technology until they have tapped all it's military potential. We, the general population would demand the most excellent control technology with such potential power or they could destroy themselves with navigational errors. Or worse, a core breech LOL. Who knows. I believe some futuristic energy technology will be created and used one day. It would be awesome to see the private sector have such reaching innovations.

Here's my favorite use of tachyon for propulsion. If you can get into flight sims This one is Epic.
Starring the talents of the king of B movies, Evil Dead's own Bruce Campbell.

edit on 13-11-2012 by JohnPhoenix because: sp

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 07:20 AM
link   
I could have sworn i heard something about tachyon propulsion on Star Trek back in the 90`s when i was a kid, its funny how fictional technology is becoming a reality. Maybe the first starship from earth will resemble the Enterprise

posted on Nov, 26 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   
So I am came across something interesting that deals with Tachyon propulsion. I sent the link to a buddy of mine that is going through college for a plethora of scientific degrees, mostly quantum physics and mechanics, which then relaid it to his professor who came to the conclusion, hypothetically it is possible for this form of FTL to work.

" The tachyon field generator (TFG) would be placed at the geometric center of the spaceship. A TFG has the unusual ability to excite space-time and cause it to be tachyonic in nature. Space-time can be described as a crystal, a tesselation using 10 dimensional spheres. When the space of this crystal is excited, it becomes tachyonic. The TFG excites a spherical volume of space-time that is large enough to include the spaceship or FTL rocket. Everything inside of the excited volume of space behaves normally, and the laws of physics work normally inside of the volume. But the volume of space, itself, is subject to the laws of motion within hyperspace. When the rockets or propulsion system is fired up, the exhaust that leaves the spaceship or FTL rocket. That exhaust will exist within tachyonically excited space for some half life. The tachyonically excited space will, after some time, because to decay back to regular space. But while it leaves the FTL spaceship as thrust, it will accelerate the spaceship to FTL velocities. If the tachyon field generator is shut down, the space-time around the spaceship will slowly lose its tachyonic quality. Eventually, this tachyonic quality will dissipate, and the spaceship will be dropped back into normal spacetime with the same momentum it would have had from the thrust under normal non-FTL conditions. The effect of the tachyonically excited space-time around the FTL rocket/space ship is to multiply its velocity by a factor (c'/c)^2. But the volume of the space that encloses the spaceship has to be completely permeated with tachyons before the FTL effect can occur. Any material object that passes through the outer surface of the tachyonic space will negate the FTL effect."

Thought I would pass it along, and the link that I found this on has already been translated.

ufo-technology.blogspot.com...

There is the link if you would care to read up more on this.

new topics

top topics

join