It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Silenced international authors

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 03:10 AM
link   
I've recently become curious about the topic of certain authors around the world that have been silenced by censorship, threatened, or even assassinated for things they've written.

Any idea where I should start investigating?

I'm looking for international examples, not just North American authors...I'm sure this is a much larger problem overseas, as there are probably many countries with minimal "expression" rights (in comparison to the U.S. and Canada).

Can anyone help?

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 03:53 AM
link   
This is about all i could find so far...A sudanese writer living in the U.S. (for the past five years), in hiding, due to her writings revealing " the wrongs committed against black African Sudanese at the hands of their Arab Muslim compatriots." Apparently she was sentanced to death by Islamic decree.

LINK

It's a start, but I'm pretty lost. I have no clue where to start or what to search for. I know the info's out there...

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Try every american journalist...
there are several quotes from journalists that state "anyone that does not agree with and write in support of SHRUB does not get invited to the press conferances...
suttle, but effective... quieted most every critism coming from a economically viable media source out there.

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 03:21 PM
link   
What's SHRUB? I tried to look it up but didn't find much.

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 01:40 AM
link   

shrub that is gold!

those white press conferances make me sick they are tottaly scripted you can tell, watch it early a man tried to rebutt the press secretarys answer and he was ignored as though his comments were invalid (which they were not) and he didnt even exist.

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 07:29 AM
link   
That's SOP for every single President and Prime Minister that has ever lived.

Nothing major.

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeltaNine

Nothing major.

Can you clarify what you mean by that?

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 08:39 PM
link   
If anyone is interested I found another one that's fairly recent.

Salman Rushdie. He wrote a novel, "Satanic Verses"

"The novel was banned in India and South Africa and burned on the streets of Bradford, Yorkshire. When Ayatollah Khomeini called on all zealous Muslims to execute the writer and the publishers of the book, Rushdie was forced into hiding."

There's way more too it, but I don't see any interest in this thread at all, so there's no point of me saying anything.

Mods feel free to close this up, it's not getting anywhere.

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by anjeeeee

Originally posted by DeltaNine

Nothing major.

Can you clarify what you mean by that?

Yes I can. It's common for a Journo to be denied access to a public figure if it's known that they write stories that arn't always what you want people to see, or if it's known that they're going to use the interview to cast the figure in a bad light.

Think about it.

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by anjeeeee
What's SHRUB? I tried to look it up but didn't find much.

Thats another name for 'Baby Bush' aka Dubya.

top topics

join