It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This whole "Sony Hack" situation is a lot deeper than it seems

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 01:45 AM
link   
What a lot of people don't seem to realize, is that Sony (SOE) has been the victim of hack/cyber attacks for going on half a decade now. Someone has it in for Sony and has for a long time now. What you're seeing in the news right now is nothing new regarding someone trying to hack/sabotage Sony.

This is a crowd-sourced hostile takeover. It's been going on for years. The hacked info from SOE and PSN just a few short years back, was not "spying" on info, and just enough got used for unauthorized stuff to make Sony look bad. If someone wanted their money, they could have flooded sites with stolen info before they could lock it down, but they didn't. Public opinion is what that SOE/PSN hack was all about years ago. You saw people canceling their game subscriptions over it and not giving Sony/SOE their CC info and so on anymore. Oh sure, you get some disgruntled gamers and such connected to hacker groups to do the dirty work for you. Give them something to troll, they'll troll it.

So the bigger question here is this: Who wants to see Sony/SOE go under? Who wants to give them a bad name? Because someone is. Someone out there is a lot more interested in seeing to it that Sony/SOE has a bad name and is embarrassed than actually stealing information from the company and publicizing it. Could it be a rival in the business? What about someone like Microsoft? Since they have the XBOX that competes with the Playstation? And who is behind Microsoft? Bill Gates himself.

So could this be a case of trying to "kill off the competition"?

Either way, Sony is not in a good spot and they haven't been for years. "The Interview" being taken down is just the tip of the iceberg. This type of stuff has been happening to Sony/SOE for years. But only now, instead of their gaming department, it seems like they are attacking the movie department instead.
edit on 20-12-2014 by Bloodydagger because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 01:52 AM
link   
To further add to what I was saying above, in case people are confused and have no idea what i was talking about....is that a few years back, hackers attacked SOE and the PSN. Online games went dark for over a month. It was a real anxious and paranoid period for the company. SOE Online games were never shut down for that long in the history of the company. They lost millions of dollars during that period, I am sure. This specific attack didn't result in peoples CC's being stolen (even though later the hackers mentioned they could have easily) etc. The hack was to give the company a bad name when it already had one.

So this isn't about "stealing". Its all about public perception/opinion. So to me, this sounds like someone out there is trying to run Sony under.

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 01:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Bloodydagger

The same thing crossed my mind when I first heard it, the Xbox granted sold more this Xmas but they are still lagging behind the ps4 by several million.

It is not out of the realm of possibility
edit on 20-12-2014 by sosobad because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 02:04 AM
link   
a reply to: sosobad

Yeah, and really, why would other countries care about what movies we put out? There have been movies created in the past that were a lot more controversial than this "Comedy" that was suppose to be released.

In my opinion, this has all the hallmarks of coming from America and not elsewhere. Nobody else outside of America gives a damn about what movies we produce here.

Someone here in our backyard is out to get Sony.

So this has more to do with "Sony" and less to do with the actual "Movie".

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 02:05 AM
link   

That seems insanely risky.
Plus
I don't see Sony and Microsoft competing in Markets that matter..

Link

Windows (including Surface tablets and other hardware)
Revenue: $19,239,000,000 (+5%)
Operating Income: $9,504,000,000 (-18%)

Business (Office, Exchange, SharePoint)
Revenue: $24,724,000,000 (+3%)
Operating income: $16,194,000,000 (+2%)

Server and Tools (Windows Server, Microsoft SQL, Visual Studio)
Revenue: $20,281,000,000 (+9%)
Operating Income: $8,164,000,000 (+13%)

Entertainment and Devices (XBox 360/LIVE, Windows Phone)
Revenue: $10,165,000,000 (+6%)
Operating income: $848,000,000 (+120%)

Based on that there is ONE major Company that's cutting into all of their market share in the parts that make all the money which is:

1) Operating systems
2) Office software (spreadsheets and all that stuff)
3) Server tools

That one competitor is APPLE.

If this is Microsoft doing the hacking why Sony??

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Lol they get hacked because they dont care. I'm in information security and sony is a death trap for professionals every time they get hacked they fire the whole iT security staff and they ignore everything the staff suggest

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Funny thing is when I heard about the psn hack years ago I immediately thought of Microsoft because at the time Sony was clawing back the completion the had lost in a big way, then got hacked. Now they embarrassed Microsoft and got hacked again.

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 02:12 AM
link   
a reply to: KnightLight

Well, this "attacking Sony/SOE" first started in their gaming department. Playstation/PSN has pretty much dominated XBOX in sales for a while now. So one theory out there is that Microsoft could be trying to pull some character assassination on Sony by giving them a bad name in the court of public opinion.

And hey, if its not Microsoft, then someone has it out for Sony and they have been trying to drag Sony's face through the mud for years now. What you see happening right now with this movie being closed down is just an isolated incident. This type of thing has been happening off and on for years with Sony. Someone has it in for them.

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 02:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: sosobad

The same thing crossed my mind when I first heard it, the Xbox granted sold more this Xmas but they are still lagging behind the ps4 by several million.

It is not out of the realm of possibility

Check this graph:
graph
The green is Income Microsoft makes from entertainment including Xbox in a year. Notice the other income streams compared.

It wouldn't make any sense.. Wii out sold the other consoles by 20 million last time around. Did Nintendo get hacked?

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Holy s###

South park was spot on once again!!

edit on America/ChicagoSaturdayAmerica/Chicago12America/Chicago1231amSaturday2 by elementalgrove because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 02:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bloodydagger

What you see happening right now with this movie being closed down is just an isolated incident. This type of thing has been happening off and on for years with Sony. Someone has it in for them.

I agree with that part for sure. I think you have the wrong guys.

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 02:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: sosobad
Funny thing is when I heard about the psn hack years ago I immediately thought of Microsoft because at the time Sony was clawing back the completion the had lost in a big way, then got hacked. Now they embarrassed Microsoft and got hacked again.

^Yep! Exactly.

Big name companies have been known to be cutthroat in the past. Trying to kill off your competition has been going on for decades. So if this is what is actually happening, then its most certainly no revelation.

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 02:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: KnightLight

What you see happening right now with this movie being closed down is just an isolated incident. This type of thing has been happening off and on for years with Sony. Someone has it in for them.

I agree with that part for sure. I think you have the wrong guys.

I agree, I very well could and I probably do. But if you talk to gamers regarding what is going on, probably 9 out of 10 will say that Microsoft is behind it due to what has went on in the past.

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 02:18 AM
link   

I agree, I very well could and I probably do. But if you talk to gamers regarding what is going on, probably 9 out of 10 will say that Microsoft is behind it due to what has went on in the past.

Gamers are centered on Gaming.. They see Sony and Microsoft as competitors.. Bet that's not what the Money Shows..

Microsofts biggest enemy is Apple by Leaps and Bounds.. Sony is competing in a 1 Billion market compared to the other 34 billion microsoft makes.

Someone else hates Sony..

Not sure who that would be. Also looking at Sony their Gaming department is also not their main game..
edit on 20-12-2014 by KnightLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Another thing that I'm curious about, is if this is the same group of hackers that has attacked Sony in the past. Or is it the same group of disgruntled people getting a different group of hackers to do their dirty work for them?

Either way, its either the "same" hackers or the "same" disgruntled people trying to black eye Sony again.

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 02:22 AM
link   

But the Sony Playstation has been a lot more successful and has sold a lot more than the XBOX has over the years. While Microsoft makes more elsewhere, they are certainly behind in the gaming console wars. This is where the whole "hacking Sony/SOE" started too (in their gaming department)

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Because of Sony Microsoft has been forced to sell the console for a loss this holiday season, the theory ain't implausible.

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 02:26 AM
link   

But the Sony Playstation has been a lot more successful and has sold a lot more than the XBOX has over the years. While Microsoft makes more elsewhere, they are certainly behind in the gaming console wars. This is where the whole "hacking Sony/SOE" started too (in their gaming department)

I doubt it has anything to do with Microsoft.

What about the Wii?? It out sold both other consoles by 20 million... That's WAY more than how much Sony is ahead... And Nintendo wouldn't be able to still exist if it was taken out as it's only a gaming company.

You have your own world you are in...

I'd suspect Hollywood production companies or people who worked on HDDVD before microsoft.. Gaming is small fries..

These hackers seem rather disgruntled than competitors.. Sony pissed someone off. Maybe that's microsoft but you're not telling me why they should be so angry..

I think Sony sucks at Coding things and I think they tend to anger people.. I've seen it in the past with developers. who knows?

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 02:35 AM
link   

Only gaming rakes in a pretty penny yearly. You're talking about monthly subscriptions, buying expansions, buying virtual items from the in game station store with REAL cash and so on. I wouldn't exactly call gaming "small fries" - Couple that fact with each company having MULTIPLE Online games that people pay monthly subscriptions to play. Its far from being "small fries".

And the average subscription per month on most of these games is anywhere from $14.99 to $16.99/month (give or take)

WoW for example has several million subscribers the last time I checked. So add several other gaming titles to that mix from the same company and the picture becomes pretty clear.

But mostly, I am talking about MMORPGs here. However, there are other games besides them that also cost a monthly fee.

Far from small fries. Its a cutthroat industry and these guys are ALWAYS trying to outdo each other.

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 02:38 AM
link   

It's 880 Million profit for microsoft... That's IT... That's ALL of their entertainment in every fashion...

34,000,000,000 is a LOT more money..

Gaming is 3% of their income...

SMALL FRIES..

Apple is Chomping away at the Big money.

What I've noticed in all of my gaming is that hacking game companies ALWAYS comes from pissed off former fans.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join