It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does anyone REALLY think the Sony hack was about a movie?!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 10:48 PM
link   
I usually don't like to post with merely referring to another articles

but THIS

www.riskbasedsecurity.com...

Is an excellent, extremely detailed report of this hack. The magnitude of the information hacked and released, IS JUST MIND BOGGLING. You really have to read this. Mind you, they are only having a tiny fraction of the hacked material since we're talking about TERABYTES of data taken off SONY, literally, their entire company was RAPED and then some more.

The article is not only incredibly detailed but also is a great overview and timeline about the hack, the messages of the hackers..and it also asks several very good critical questions and points out inconsistencies, eg. why the hack is POSSIBLY not done by North Korea.

Again..read this article...it's excellent!

I have seen other sites now where they analyzed the hack, and it looks to me that most of those experts are agreeing that this hack looks more like the typical hack of some lose knit group, possible even several groups, possibly even the typical "teenager" like the one who hacked the US military a decade or so ago where the US also initially thought it was a major hack initiated by IRAN. (Turns out it was some pimpled teen).

This is also a good comment article here
www.extremetech.com...
although a lot shorter and less detailed than the other one. But it makes a good case why it is likely that this is a revenge hack possibly by some ex-employee and not North Korea.

As is the case so often, our hilarious "news" are continuing to cite some "unnamed official" where no-one knows a name or a rank, some "unnamed official" is stating "it was possibly North Korea", respective he is 99% sure it was Korea..."on condition of anonymity"... absolutely hilarious since there is nothing they can back that up with.

Sometimes I think OUR media are worse than those in North Korea....
edit on 12/21/2014 by NoRulesAllowed because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 11:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shiloh7
a reply to: queenofswords

No. But it opens up the question if you can hack film makers who would presumably have the most up to date it protection programmes running as the cost of new films is horrendous - what other corporations are at risk from the hackers.

That's exactly why N. Korea didn't do it. They really have nothing to gain. There are bigger issues at work here. I know one thing - the only way I will see The Interview is if it's free.

This is either an elaborate publicity stunt (prob. not) OR one of the Alphabets are behind this.

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 12:12 AM
link   
I remember that scene in Hot Shots where Saddam Hussein caught the bomb dropped from above while sipping a martini at the pool.

I don't fear Kim Jong-Un, I fear the NK leadership. They created him. He's only 31. He's been molded to be royalty like his dad. Remember the war with the western powers started many decades ago, not recently.

What scares me is everybody makes joke about it because Kim Jong-Un looks like a kid. He IS a kid, or at least was. But the real face of the NK regime is not Kim Jong-Un. THAT is what gets under my skin.

China and Russia are where it starts, I think, since they have friendly relations. One of hte reasons North Korea exists is because of what the Soviets did to keep us out of NK. It snowballed and the Soviets refused to cooperate. It established a communist government in NK led by Kim Il-sung and hte rest is history.
edit on 22-12-2014 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 09:49 AM
link   
North Korea is having a huge problem with media being smuggled in from the south. A movie like this would be used as a catalyst by the south to convince northerners that their "glorious Leader" is in fact human. I remember watching an interview with a defector from the north and she talked about how she honestly believed that Kim Jong Il was a god. They are so indoctrinated to this that they do not question it. The north is adament about keeping foreign religion out because it puts a power greater than their countries icon.

The long game for something like this would be to slowly flood the country with foreign media, and show them that the rest of the world lives more fulfilling lives than them. For some this would be meaningless, but many North Koreans simply want the best life possible for their children. There has been many years of starvation and poverty as a result of their political structure and sanctions. From what I have seen, the regime is slowly loosing the battle with an ever expanding digital world.
edit on 22-12-2014 by fendi because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 11:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords
Something isn't right about the reason being given for this hack job. What do you think?

I don't think it's really entirely about the movie, I think it's about NK chucking their toys out of the crib again and crying for attention, just as they do periodically. You can almost set your watch by it. They do something nutty, scream and rant, threaten all kinds of bizarre things and then someone sticks a cookie in their gob and they shut up for another three months.

NK is a childish nation playing at politics and doing it so terribly its actually funny to watch. I'm not sure if they're just incapable of common sense and rationality, or whether this is all for the consumption of their own public, but this is pretty much all about attention and them wanting something from the outside world.

Baby wakes up and starts screaming, someone placates it with attention and it goes back to sleep. This will all die down in about a week, then in another three months NK will do something to remind the world that it exists and we'll have to shut it up again. Rinse and repeat.

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 11:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: jonnywhite
China and Russia are where it starts, I think, since they have friendly relations. One of hte reasons North Korea exists is because of what the Soviets did to keep us out of NK. It snowballed and the Soviets refused to cooperate. It established a communist government in NK led by Kim Il-sung and hte rest is history.

I have to agree that this is a real risk when it comes to NK. The government there is incapable, and it's clearly easily influenced by China and Russia. These are not the smartest people in international politics, and in that respect NK is probably a victim of those two nations, abusing it for their own ends.

The threat to the outside world really comes from their immaturity and inexperience when dealing with nations like China and Russia, they are a puppet to those nations, a proxy, an avenue for those powerful nations to attack the west without getting their own hands dirty.

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: jonnywhite

I agree completly. The image of Kim jong Un is simply a front for the power full elite that actually control NK politics.

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 06:04 PM
link   
a reply to: NoRulesAllowed

Thanks for that link. That is a lot of info to wade through. I'm about half-way there.

This is one helluva rabbit hole!!

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 06:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: NoRulesAllowed
I usually don't like to post with merely referring to another articles

but THIS

www.riskbasedsecurity.com...

Is an excellent, extremely detailed report of this hack. .

That's a great read. It still baffles me that these big corporations stores their sensitive data in a Microsoft Windows server, instead of using Unix/Linux computers. When will these companies realize that Windows, by design, is broken. In Unix/Linux systems, these kind of damage can happen if you get access to root user ( thus the term rooted android device etc). You just protect the root user with the most complicated password ever to guess.

Not sure if you guys remember, almost 10 years, gigabytes of Microsoft Windows source code was released in public by hackers, since then, from what I heard, even Microsoft stores their sensitive windows source code in a Unix(or Linux) server, not sure how that is true, but i won't doubt that in a minute.

posted on Dec, 24 2014 @ 09:44 PM
link   
a reply to: WCmutant

This is either an elaborate publicity stunt (prob. not) OR one of the Alphabets are behind this.

I think you can completely rule out Sony pulling this off as a "publicity stunt, " given that the movie will still only be released in a very limited number of independent theaters, and none of the big chain cinemas, so it will still be a disastrous box office bomb for them. Not to mention the "stunt" involved making terrorist threats against American citizens. Nope, the only winners in this round were the terrorists.

posted on Dec, 24 2014 @ 10:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackmarketeer

the only winners in this round were the terrorists.

By terrorist you mean RAND corporation ?

He added, “In fact, when I have briefed my book on ‘preparing for the possibility of a North Korean collapse’ [Sept 2013], I have been clear that the assassination of Kim Jong-Un is the most likely path to a collapse of the North Korean government. Thus while toning down the ending may reduce the North Korean response, I believe that a story that talks about the removal of the Kim family regime and the creation of a new government by the North Korean people (well, at least the elites) will start some real thinking in South Korea and, I believe, in the North once the DVD leaks into the North (which it almost certainly will). So from a personal perspective, I would personally prefer to leave the ending alone.”
antiwar.com...

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join