It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does anyone REALLY think the Sony hack was about a movie?!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 11:07 PM
link   
This whole story about N.Korea being offended over a movie smells a bit odd to me....kind of like how they claimed the Benghazi attack was because of some video making fun of Mohammed.

Why hasn't 20th Century Fox studios been "attacked"? They are set to do a comedy based on Dennis Rodman's buddy/buddy relationship with Kim Jong Un entitled "Diplomats". I can just imagine what that one is going to be like.

According to an exclusive report by The Hollywood Reporter, 20th Century Fox studios bought the rights to a new comedy film called "Diplomats," whose plot is based on NBA Hall of Famer Dennis Rodman’s multiple visits to see his “best friend” Kim Jong Un in the isolated, impoverished and very militarized North Korea, in the name of “hoops diplomacy.”

The movie is in the hands of filmmakers with "buddy comedy" experience. Hot off the recent box office success "Ride Along," which stars rapper Ice Cube and stand-up comic Kevin Hart, director Tim Story has been tapped to direct "Diplomats." Fox’s Chernin Entertainment, run by namesake Peter Chernin, which is known for its most recent hit, "The Heat," a cop comedy featuring Sandra Bullock and Melissa McCarthy, will reportedly produce the movie, with Jonathan Abrams developing the script.

Something isn't right about the reason being given for this hack job. What do you think?

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Does anyone REALLY think the Sony hack was about a movie?!

No.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 11:11 PM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

IMO NK had nothing to do with this...

The hack and subsequent attacks were from more capable enemies...

I guess we can call this a Silent War ?

YMMV..

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 11:14 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 11:16 PM
link   

More importantly, why the hell does it matter to me?

Why do I care when celebs get their packets sniffed? I don't.
Why do I care when entertainment corporations get hacked? I don't.
Why do I care when blah blah blah blah blah...

Does this affect ME in some way? No. It doesn't. It involves people with WAY more money that anyone reading this post has. (Don't kid yourself for a second, I'm serious, these people make and lose more money than some of us will see in a lifetime.)

link   

No. But it opens up the question if you can hack film makers who would presumably have the most up to date it protection programmes running as the cost of new films is horrendous - what other corporations are at risk from the hackers.

I cannot see kim whoever being too bothered by what the west thinks is funny - men like that have their own pleasures and he can take as much pleasure as he wants. I suspect also unless he gets on line himself to see what is going on in the world, his people would be too scared to tell him he is the butt of a film crazy westerners will be able to see on its release.

Its too petty but the implications are far more frightening.

link   

originally posted by: JacKatMtn

IMO NK had nothing to do with this...

The hack and subsequent attacks were from more capable enemies...

I guess we can call this a Silent War ?

YMMV..

Do we have an enemy within?

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Put it this way, I am just a hillbilly who loves to stay up on news, and this appears to me to be the Benghazi YT video part 2?

IF the folks bought that once, why not ramp it up?

food for thought, I could be off my rocker, I am just very cynical about anything coming from US official sources, and their paid mouthpieces..

+7 more 
posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 11:22 PM
link   
The end result will be a governmentality run internet, that can "protect" from these "attacks". Just like the whole nudie pics released by hackers a few months ago....all part of a government agenda.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 11:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesmokingman
The end result will be a governmentality run internet, that can "protect" from these "attacks". Just like the whole nudie pics released by hackers a few months ago....all part of a government agenda.

I would go further and say a global government run internet. The UN is pushing for a global cyber security treaty.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Something doesn't add up that's for sure...too soon to tell but eventually it will become well...clear as mud..in the meantime the "reaction" by NK over a satirical movie is just way over the top and I agree, this is not about a movie, it's more about behind-the-scenes world power chess moves. This has been going on behind the scenes. I bet there's ALOT more going on behind the scenes that we don't have a clue about....yet.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 11:34 PM
link   
a reply to: AreUKiddingMe

We know alot if we pay attnention...

Think about why the oil prices plummeted....

Now why would those greedy oil companies ever allow that during a time of ramped up terror?

Wasn't that the formula for explaining why the barrel prices have been inflated, and spiked on nearly every threat since 2008?

Understand who this is hurting and you may find who may just be firing back in cyberspace..?

I could be wrong, but that's where my thought process is at the moment..

It's war... IMO.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 11:35 PM
link   
I think Russia is the culprit.

Multiple conflicts exist between Russia and the U.S./Western Empire.

Very easy for them to use Chinese and North Korean servers.

NK is always a willing scapegoat when they are paid enough.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 11:46 PM
link   
a reply to: JacKatMtn

It's too early for me to connect any dots..but I'm looking.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 11:48 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 11:49 PM
link   
a reply to: JacKatMtn

That's where I'm at too. Russia.
People even believed Saudi Arabia was trying to hurt shale oil in the US.. hahaha.. Watch the oil companies in the US cut out all the small shale guys who don't have huge money reserves while Russia gets choked out.. Meanwhile Gasoline is easier to make with cheaper oil, and Gasoline is Americas biggest export.

Not really sure on why the fake reasons (North Korea) but I see Sony is playing along. People need to understand that in a Cold war you are constantly putting the other King in Check, without taking any of the pawns..

Well we have our subs here..
Yea you have your subs, but look at our space plane..
We can move oil through Turkey..
We lower oil prices..

Blah blah blah until it seems no one has a trump card and the game cools off a bit.. Problem is that this game has a time limit and the time limit is how long the dollar can last.. Something has to give before then or the US will move to extreme measures.

Not sure who has more hands to play and who can back out of the game and when.. Maybe we are seeing the power plays that must take place before China and Russia get too powerful..

I don't think we have enough missile defense for this kind of game.. I'd be watching for any news about the power grid.. see if you connect any power failures to hacks.

I am of course Very cynical.
maybe they're telling the truth.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 11:51 PM
link   
yes and no,

i got a feeling that two groups are testing the waters.

i think that little un got his feelings hurt and wanted to do something about the movie, but couldn't because even though nk has some sophistication, i don't think they could have pulled it off. i think china had a hand in it, and wanted to see what would come from the U.S. Government. one was to see if they were detected, and then how the response from them would be.

i also think knowing just some of what the NSA has and capable of doing, they knew it was going on and let it. just to see how far U.S . citizens would go before they called on FEDs to control the internet in the U.S..
edit on 19-12-2014 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Overplayed. Played Out. Slow News Day. Take your pick.

Won't worry about it unless missiles fly. Until then... everything is good.

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 12:04 AM
link   

North Korea warned that it viewed the movie's release as an act of war...it would seem to indicate that the hacks, ultimately relating to The Interview, can be attributed to North Korea as a result. They claim they didn't do it, but both Sony and the FBI seem confident in pinning them as the actor.

One thing that always baffles me is that so many are quick to dismiss North Korea and its threats. They do have a capable military, and they are unpredictable. Frankly, no one expects North Korea to follow through on its threats...this time, they may have. It shows that we must be careful when dealing with North Korea in the future, as it may very well act out any future threat.

It's time for people to wake up and smell the coffee. North Korea isn't some state incapable of taking action...
edit on 20-12-2014 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 12:04 AM
link   

The word around town is that the situation is being used as an excuse to pull the film. Sony was expected to take a huge loss on the movie, but now that they're pulling it in response to a terrorist threat they might actually make money on it from the insurance claim. The actual danger comes in where I have executives assuring me that I can still set my scripts in any location I want and they'll back me up all the way. No one is really sure how this will play out creatively. And sure, all they are is movies and ultimately you can buy them for $3 in the bargain bin at Best Buy. But like it or not movies are part of our culture. They are one of America's biggest exports. And now, because of this hack and the studio's response to it, confidence in creating that culture has been weakened.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join