It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadian pacific railroad is happy about the keystone gridlock

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Well somebody is taking advantage of cheap oil. The crude is going to move either in pipes or on rails.

www.leaderpost.com...=1

This is an interesting article about how business must adapt for the future to stay ahead of the curve. The big five railroads are a fine example of this future planing.

Enjoy.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 09:14 PM
link   
So is Warren Buffet

Buffett should know. His company, Berkshire Hathaway, purchased Burlington Northern Santa Fe for $34 billion four years ago. FORBES estimates its value has doubled since then. Part of the reason: hauling oil out of the Bakken formation of North Dakota.

He's for the pipeline too, but the delay works.....things that make ya go hmmm

“I think probably the Keystone Pipeline is a good idea from the country,” he posited. As to if and when it would be completed, his answer was less definitive: “I have no idea.”

www.forbes.com...

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 09:23 PM
link   
A fine example? You mean like last year's hecatomb in eastern Canada when an oil train derailed at the center of a small city? Plus 100 people have just died in a massive explosion without warning.

You must be ignorant of that detail, I presume... I don't see how can anyone in their right mind can laud the oil train companies as well as the pipelines, for all the devastation they have caused over the past year.

Rethink your stuff.
edit on 19/12/14 by Echtelion because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 09:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Echtelion

If the world was run by people like you, we would be posting our opinions on cave walls.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 09:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71
a reply to: Echtelion

If the world was run by people like you, we would be posting our opinions on cave walls.

Are you implying I'm some sort of primitivist?

Well if the world would be led by completely desensitized people like you the world would have ceased to exist a while back. So yeah... at least under my Neanderthal empire life would still be allowed to exist!
edit on 19/12/14 by Echtelion because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 10:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Hoosierdaddy71

It's funny, but most people don't even know that the Oil sands in Canada could fill up the proposed Keystone pipeline everyday for the foreseeable future and still need to send huge amounts of Oil by rail. There is literally that much oil up there and you just dig it up and wash it out of the sand.

Buffet knows that the regulations to lay pipelines are slow to work through so rail transportation was the only way and that the Oil exploration was going on at breakneck speed. One of the best investments he's ever made...and he's made many very good ones.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Maybe that means they'll employ a few more people to monitor and fix the rail lines? Hope so.
There's been a few problems.....

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 10:11 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 10:21 PM
link   
a reply to: noeltrotsky

Your absolutely right.
People have no clue of the potential.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 10:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Hoosierdaddy71

But would that oil be coming to the US or going else where?

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 10:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

It's crude oil so it will head to refineries. Most likely in Texas or the west coast of Canada. Where it ends up then will be determined by who is buying the fuel. The us gets around 15% of its oil from Canada.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Hey! Let's load up twenty thousand gallons of toxic, highly flammable, extremely combustible liquid into a steel container, link about 200 or so of them together the shoot them across the country side at 50 miles per hour. What could go wrong?

A lot really. There's been a few juicy mishaps in the past few years doing this. The best one killed like 47 people.

Now, before you call me out as a tree hugging liberal enviro commie, you should know I work with oil tank cars every day. Not one loaded with crude mind you, we ship out mostly decant destined for paper mills and such. This oil has had most of the good stuff refined out and you would likely have a tough time getting it to combust, but it still gets a hazmat placard, so I don't drink it very often.

To combat the rise in disastrous accidents of late there have been some new regulations put into effect dealing with oil tankers. As is done quite routinely by government beaurocrats who are paid quite well to do a horrible job with absolutely no knowledge of what they are doing, the majority of these regulations are largely useless in nature. They mostly center on inspections, filling out forms, wheel chucks and derailers installed in front of the cars while loading.

Stuff like that.

Sure, they are phasing in a stricter specification on wall thickness on new car constructions, but there are a hell of a lot of current ones out there. And in the long run, will a little bit thicker construction really matter with 280,000 pounds going 50 mph when it tumbles end to end in a derailment? I can't think so.

Personally I'm all for the pipeline, it's gotta be a hell of a lot safer to move the stuff that way, probably cheaper too.

top topics

join