It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Five dead, dozens ill from bacteria linked to caramel apples

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 08:39 PM
link   
www.rawstory.com...

Five people have died and 21 others have been hospitalized in recent weeks in a listeria outbreak linked to caramel apples, federal health officials said on Friday.

A total of 28 people infected with listeria have been reported from 10 states, according to a statement from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control.

The CDC warned consumers not to eat any pre-packaged, commercially-produced caramel apples, including those with other toppings such as nuts, chocolate or sprinkles, until more information is available.

Of the 28 victims, 26 were hospitalized and five of those people died, the CDC said, adding that listeriosis contributed to at least four of the deaths. Nine of the cases involved a pregnant woman or her newborn infant, it said.

Throw out your candied apples....

Listeriosis is an infection that primarily affects older adults, pregnant women, newborns and people with weakened immune symptoms. Symptoms include fever, muscle aches, headache, confusion and convulsions.

I was just shopping at one of our larger grocery chains and saw Caramel Apples still on the shelves, even though 5 people have become ill here in the Land of Enchantment.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Good to know. Thanks for sharing.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Got the 4 or 6 pack of them from Walmart a while back. Son bit into one and it was full of bugs.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Talk about poisoned apples! Woah.

I won't be buying any caramel coated apples this year.

@ Staple - your son's experience makes shudder. Ewww.

CdT

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 09:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: staple
Got the 4 or 6 pack of them from Walmart a while back. Son bit into one and it was full of bugs.

Do they charge extra for the ones with added protein?
edit on 19-12-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Won't deny the wonders of mechanization but...things like this make me appreciate homemade goods instead of something made miles away by strangers. More time consuming but the results are fantastic, especially if you use local organic apples.

Homemade isn't without risks though so you risk something either way. S + F

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 10:56 PM
link   
a reply to: CirqueDeTruth

You know I have gotten rotten fruit before. Have eaten some nasty stuff. But when I seen the caramel apple with maggots spilling out.... damn.
a reply to: olaru12
Just the special...
edit on 12/19/2014 by staple because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 11:21 PM
link   

I have never eaten or seen these things, but can somebody tell me if the bug springs from the apple or the caramel.....or even from the choicolate, nuts or 'sprinklings'...whatever those are?

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 04:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
www.rawstory.com...

Five people have died and 21 others have been hospitalized in recent weeks in a listeria outbreak linked to caramel apples, federal health officials said on Friday.

A total of 28 people infected with listeria have been reported from 10 states, according to a statement from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control.

The CDC warned consumers not to eat any pre-packaged, commercially-produced caramel apples, including those with other toppings such as nuts, chocolate or sprinkles, until more information is available.

Of the 28 victims, 26 were hospitalized and five of those people died, the CDC said, adding that listeriosis contributed to at least four of the deaths. Nine of the cases involved a pregnant woman or her newborn infant, it said.

Throw out your candied apples....

Listeriosis is an infection that primarily affects older adults, pregnant women, newborns and people with weakened immune symptoms. Symptoms include fever, muscle aches, headache, confusion and convulsions.

I was just shopping at one of our larger grocery chains and saw Caramel Apples still on the shelves, even though 5 people have become ill here in the Land of Enchantment.

You have to be EXTREMELY careful of the Listeria bacteria. Even more so if you are pregnant. 19 years ago I was pregnant and somehow came in contact with it. To this day, I STILL don't know how, when, where, etc... I was sick my entire pregnancy and kept getting told it was a stomach flu going around. I had no reason to doubt my doctor because otherwise I was healthy. I was gaining weight, the baby was moving. Everything seemed ok.

2 weeks before she was due, she stopped moving. I went into the ER severely ill to my stomach. I could not leave the bathroom I was so ill. Her heart rate was very good, 154. I was taken to ultrasound to find why she wasn't moving and there was almost no amniotic fluid. They pushed on my stomach to get her to move and her heart rate dropped to 70! They immediately rushed me to sign papers and delivery. I didn't know by this time her heart rate was 0! They had strapped me down and knocked me out.

What I didn't know was the small amount of fluid she had was green, indicating a sign of infection. I had gone into septic shock. They had to do a spinal tap on her to test for spinal meningitis. That's when they found it was listeria. We were both put on IV antibiotics. This is something to NOT mess with. Because I am the ONLY case in the entire state for that entire year, the health department has no way of knowing where I contracted it from, unlike cases like this, where they were able to narrow it down.

People REALLY need to know their food sources and be extremely careful of what they eat!

edit on 12/20/2014 by Anyafaj because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 05:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Yeahkeepwatchingme
Won't deny the wonders of mechanization but...things like this make me appreciate homemade goods instead of something made miles away by strangers. More time consuming but the results are fantastic, especially if you use local organic apples.

Homemade isn't without risks though so you risk something either way. S + F

You go dude! We just cant count on these folks to keep their equipment clean!

Anyone here eat at restraints a lot or a good bit? How's that diarrhea doing? The headaches? The heartburn?

Not to mention the food but the plates and utensils you use have recently been through a chemical bath.

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 09:46 AM
link   
They probably came from China.

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 10:25 AM
link   
From what I read, listeria does not bother most people, it is a common bacteria found in the environment. The reason the numbers are probably so low is that most people tolerate it. The problem is we have to make sure that even those who can't tolerate it are safe. When a person gets older, they do get less resistance. The young can get a little sick from it too, but they usually recover and gain resistance.

I have read this information somewhere in my research but have to note. Don't use it to discount this threat, there is no way of knowing if you or others in your family are able to tolerate it. It doesn't matter if it is just a small number of people who die or get really sick if you are one of those people and get sick or die. I suppose their response to this will be to require a chemical that is GRAS to the caramel apples that sickens more people. Often their fix causes more problems than it cures.

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: staple

That is actually a sign it's organic, grossly enough.

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 06:27 AM
link   
We get the pre cut apple slices that come with a caramel dip. It's not really my thing but Ive tried them from time to time since they are frequently in the house and occasionally offered to me, and I have to say it is much better than the few times I remember having the actual entire apple dipped in caramel. If you cut your own apple and make your own dip that might be even better.

posted on Dec, 21 2014 @ 06:57 AM
link   
I LOVE caramel apples. Caramel apples with chocolate or with sprinkles. MMMMM But the candied ones are pretty yukky, IMHO. The listeria (which is VERY serious) is with the caramel ones? I'll be sure not to buy any. I haven't had any in a while and this past week I've been having a craving for some. If I have any, I'll make my own. It's not that hard to do.

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 05:36 PM
link   

My husband bought me one at my request from a well known candy store about a month+ ago and oddly I would not eat it. Intuition? Very glad I didn't!
edit on 22-12-2014 by Staroth because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   
A month ago I ate a caramel apple I bought at Meijer and I instantly felt like I had to vomit and just ill. But I have a pretty strong stomach and was able to shake it off after few minutes.
edit on 23-12-2014 by Teeky because: wordn

top topics

join