It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reuters at Lockheed Martin's Skunkworks

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Perhaps an RQ-170. No need hiding that fuselage any more.....

Think that's my guess.

edit on 22-12-2014 by aholic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 06:37 AM
link   
a reply to: aholic

The one on the carrier is VARIOUS not a Sentinel.

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 06:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I think Aholic is implying that amongst the 3 different airframes, the only one that matches the shape of the wingtip is the RQ 170 on the bottom of the composite image.

I think (?).

Edit:
BTW i don't think that's an RQ 170 though.

edit on 22-12-2014 by CiTrus90 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: CiTrus90

The bottom and top right are -170s.

No I don't think it is either.

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I thinkThis is a mock up of some sort not a real airframe size too small, but it seems there is the shape on the wing for 2 engines, not the RQ-170. What speed capacity can have a shape of this style ?

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Top left: VARIOUS
Top right: UCLASS (Sea Ghost IIRC?)
Bottom: RQ 170

I too think it's a mock up or a proof of concept. The wings are definitely too short, but it could be so because they'll add folding wings to those stubs (for carrier deployment maybe).
The thing that leaves me puzzled is the fact that, either, this is the top half and they'll have to cut a hole in it for the engine intake, or, this is the bottom half and they'll have to cut holes for the landing gear.

Now, i'm no engineer, but i don't think that 3d printing an airframe and THEN cutting through it for putting what it needs to go "zoom" later would be a smart idea.

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: CiTrus90

RCS model was my first thought.

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 12:35 PM
link   
What happens when stealth tech gets so good that there is zero RCS?

They have to be working on some new kind of detection system beyond radar...?

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Great call on the picture being a RQ-170!

If you wanna see something interesting, check out this link. Do the two molds look somewhat similiar??

SSR-X Carbon Fiber Stealth Plane
www.bit-tech.net...

In the picture, there is enough room for an engine! Good thing there is man standing in the picture to add reference in possible size.

This could be a proof of concept, but could be demonstrator. Though I know how they put it together!!

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 05:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

The one on the carrier is VARIOUS not a Sentinel.

Neither is the one on the right. They are left to right, VARIOUS, sentinel and sea ghost. Sorry should've put captions. I wanted to show some differences in the three distinct models.

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Why would an RCS mock-up need to be carbon fiber? Nor would a wind tunnel model.

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 02:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: aholic

Why would an RCS mock-up need to be carbon fiber? Nor would a wind tunnel model.

I have no idea if they use their composites manufacturing to make models, but possibly if you own some machinery that can go from CAD to finished product, you might use it for a model because it is the path of least resistance.

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 03:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: themadgenius
Great call on the picture being a RQ-170!

If you wanna see something interesting, check out this link. Do the two molds look somewhat similiar??

SSR-X Carbon Fiber Stealth Plane
www.bit-tech.net...

In the picture, there is enough room for an engine! Good thing there is man standing in the picture to add reference in possible size.

This could be a proof of concept, but could be demonstrator. Though I know how they put it together!!

Isn't that just a geeky computer case rather than an aircraft project.

BTW a lot of composites are S-2 rather than graphite. I'm surprised they were able to get those sharp angles. Graphite is really really stiff. Often you get unidirectional carbon fiber so one direction is easy to bend. Also you don't need to vacuum bag. That project could have been built on foamboard, then mylar put over the surfaces to block air. The resin or expoxy doesn't stick to mylar.

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 06:25 AM
link   
It may be a 6th gen fighter concept mock up.

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: darksidius

I really don't think it is anything too special or it wouldn't have made it out of Lockheed's vaults.
If anything it might be a structural component to Polecat. It's hard to say since the wings may look vastly different once the entire piece is finished and laid out.

posted on Dec, 24 2014 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Might be just a nice prop for the photo.

posted on Dec, 24 2014 @ 03:02 AM
link   
a reply to: SonofaSkunk

embrasse moi - j'aime Pepe

posted on Dec, 24 2014 @ 03:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: gariac

originally posted by: aholic

I have no idea if they use their composites manufacturing to make models, but possibly if you own some machinery that can go from CAD to finished product, you might use it for a model because it is the path of least resistance.

We certainly do have ability to quickly print fiber models in fact if I were a betting man I'd look really closely at LM's carbon nano division. I think they're teasing us with this quote "brochure" un quote.

posted on Dec, 24 2014 @ 04:06 AM
link   

You know who already gave a nice briefing on it if I remember correctly...cant find the link but it was along the lines of this article: UAV's with Onboard Printers

Also referenced the "Transformer" concept with the "mothership" providing in combat repair capabilities to it's attachees.

The story was along the lines of already being able to 3d print none brittle ceramics (Graphene re-enforced ceramics) and the crafts therefore benefiting from conductivity and energetic transfer properties conferred to the boundary layer.

posted on Dec, 24 2014 @ 04:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Jukiodone

You know I typically hate the term "game changer".... it's gotten too political but in what you're referencing it's absolutely appropriate .

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join