It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any tile contractors out there to answer a Q?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 06:11 PM
link   
a reply to: luthier

I'm not sure if it was presealed. I was told that I can seal it if I wanted to in a few days. Wanted to was the key word. I was told I don't have to.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 06:22 PM
link   
a reply to: fictitious

All stone, especially in a shower/bath area should be sealed, and resealed annually depending on usage. Travertine is extremely porous and can stain easily if not sealed. I would use 511 porous plus sealer.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 06:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: fictitious

I'm not sure if it was presealed. I was told that I can seal it if I wanted to in a few days. Wanted to was the key word. I was told I don't have to.

Travertine can sometimes be presealed. However its very porous. It absorbs color and grout and absolutely needs sealing especially in a bathroom. It doesnt need an enhancer if you want it flat but it will grow mold and collect dirt. It has no glaze like ceramic tile and trust me needs to be sealed. Look at a cut off piece next to one that has been grouted chances are they are different colors now.

I hate shoddy work. In fact it drove me out of remodeling other peoples homes. I hated dealing with subs and customers who only cared about cheapest price.

Seriously get a well respected tile guy to come in and inspect the damages if you feel shafted.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Thanks. I didn't know any discoloration could happen. I'll look for some on Monday.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 08:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: fictitious
Figured I'd include a picture

Nice!

I'm coming over for a shower!

Peace

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 09:27 PM
link   

I just wanted to say thanks for your advice. The tile did in fact change colors and was orange looking. The wet grout never was able to dry not only because the water was run, but apparently the old tile guy laid the entire mud bed incorrectly. Everything was torn up, including the concrete, and it is all being redone by a new tile guy. I knew my suspicions were correct. It just took them forever to believe me. I'm just glad it's all being redone!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join