It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Double Amputee able to wear and control two modular prosthetic limbs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Leslie Baugh lost both of his arms at the shoulders 40 years ago, but thanks to technology, he is able to wear two modular prosthetic limbs and move them through thought. He is able to use his prosthetic limbs much the same as anyone would use their natural counterparts.

In order for the technology to adequately work, he had to undergo “targeted muscle reinnervation” surgery, which 'helps to re-connect old nerves that used to control his arms and hands.'

It's amazing to see what current technology can do, and it only makes future prospects more exciting. You can watch a video on this here:

Source:

i100.independent.co.uk...
edit on 19-12-2014 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: daaskapital

Finally!

Genius. S&F for sharing!

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I F'ing LOVE science!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Like...really love it. If you know what I mean. Wink wink, nudge nudge.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 06:53 PM
link   

I imagine before this tech gets to Star Wars levels they will just be growing new limbs by then. Still cool. Thanks for topic.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Haven't seen something online that made me grin that huge in a long time. 30 degrees of freedom and articulated hands. Wow!

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 08:49 PM
link   
So much potential...... made my eyes kinda misty thinking about it.

Sigh.... someday.

This guy lost his arms from an electrical accident, but I'm sure many of us are acutely aware of how many people lose their limbs. If we could just get rid of that way .......... first.

But this is a wonderful breakthrough. And Johns Hopkins to boot. Don't know how anybody could begrudge funding for these types of research. Truly a wonderful thing.

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 01:45 AM
link   
The cyborgs are here..... THE CYBORGS ARE HERE!!!!!

edit on 20-12-2014 by AnuTyr because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 07:20 AM
link   
a reply to: AnuTyr

My mate has an implant which controls nerve signals from a particular nerve cluster in his back, that was damaged as a result of a complication arising from a herniated disc in his spine. Essentially, when the nerve cluster sends pain signals, the implant sends counter signals so that the rest of the nervous system and the brain do not receive the pain signal. It essentially cancels out the signal.

The cyborgs have been among us since the pace maker really, and things are only going to get more interesting in that regard, as time wears on!

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 07:22 AM
link   

The Cybermen are not here yet. Not until a guy (possibly in a Zeppelin) invents an emotion inhibitor.

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 01:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

My mate has an implant which controls nerve signals from a particular nerve cluster in his back, that was damaged as a result of a complication arising from a herniated disc in his spine. Essentially, when the nerve cluster sends pain signals, the implant sends counter signals so that the rest of the nervous system and the brain do not receive the pain signal. It essentially cancels out the signal.

The cyborgs have been among us since the pace maker really, and things are only going to get more interesting in that regard, as time wears on!

Pace Maker? Pshhhhh. Not far enough. How about the ancient egyptian wooden toe prosthetic? Something doesn't have to be electric or digital or embedded in the flesh to be an augmentation of the body.

Cyborg is a modern name for what has been around a while.

It's really just humans making up for injuries or disabilities of the body. I'd consider eyeglasses an example of this too. Things like night vision goggles are not a good example because they're not offering something we normally have, they're giving us something we don't have.

news.discovery.com - Ancient Egyptian Fake Toes Earliest Prosthetics...
edit on 20-12-2014 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

top topics

join