It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: FBI blames North Korea for Sony hack

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 11:38 AM
link   
On the topic of North Korea's ability to hack, i fail to understand why people would fall for 'propaganda' or general beliefs regarding the country.

As i said in an earlier thread of mine, i think it is futile to underestimate one's opponent, and this is no different. Of course North Korea has the ability to hack, and of course its military units are capable. I read just the other day that North Korea's military hackers collaborate and train with their Russian and Chinese counterparts.

I personally believe that North Korea can absolutely carry out attacks of this magnitude. Their military likely has up-to-date technology, and their hackers are trained...i don't see why people refuse to see that.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 11:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Annee

As Daas said in his OP, most likely elevated sanctions.

& more WarGames on the Korean Peninsula.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 11:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bilk22

originally posted by: daaskapital
a reply to: Bilk22

On the contrary, i read in the week the hacks happened that Sony was considering North Korea as a suspect. I think it would be a logical deduction considering the then imminent release of The Interview

Sony may have considered that but the FBI has stated for quite some time, there was no connection. Check for yourself. I'll not waste time searching and posting links, but there's plenty that confirm that.

Fair enough.

Perhaps it is reasonable to conclude that the FBI discovered evidence linking North Korea to the hacks as they proceeded further into their investigations...that's what investigations are for, of course.

Hopefully Obama elaborates more during his press conference.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Many questions now "whats next?". How good was Sony Corp encryption and security, Is it better than what controls our infrastructure and banking? Was this a dry run for something bigger?

Yes many questions.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: hillbilly4rent

If you were to compare Corporate IT security and the security around vital infrastructure like Power Plants, I would say it's like comparing bronze age weaponry versus muskets.

Corporate IT tends to be pretty well put together, with few holes to exploit. One of the few ways to break into these systems is via Social Engineering.

Infrastructure IT usually runs on pretty dated hardware, with software that rarely receives patches or upgrades. The resounding proclamation of most infrastructure IT folks is "If it ain't broke don't fix it". The software and hardware works, and often times they don't want to risk long downtime of equipment to do hardware/software upgrades.

If NK can break into Sony of America, they probably can take down large portions of the US power grid.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

Exactly what I was getting at.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Well what to do with it? Does it count as attack on American soil? Is Kimy crazy? When this is offilcially confirmed and the lights out in administrative buildings in Washington is connected, what was he thinking? Will he get away with it? Bets, please.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 12:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bilk22
a reply to: daaskapital

I'm not sure I buy any of this. They have said for quite some time there was no real connection to NK. Now they're changing their tune. I find it all quite conveniently distracting from all the other BS happening they don't want anyone to notice. Kind of reminds me of the Benghazi video charade.

Not to mention that North Korea hasn't claimed responsibility.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   
a reply to: shhawsgl

Spam.

2nd.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

An attack on Corporate entity like Sony of America could very well constitute an attack on the U.S. in general. The terrifying possibility is that this will be an excuse for lawmakers to pass bills that could limit or restrict the freedom of internet traffic in the U.S.

Will there be an official response from the U.S.? Beyond threatening additional sanctions (which won't do much if anything to already strict existing sanctions on NK), I would expect some finger-waggling and platitudes to the American public.

Military intervention at this point is completely off the table, imo. The US would have to be pretty insane to want to fire real weapons over a cyber-attack on a U.S. Corporation owned by the Japanese.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   
When the FBI or anybody from our government comes forward with statements such as this, I am generally more enclined to believe that squirrels are responsible for the cyber attack. They have deflected, distracted and outright lied enough for me to never trust them for any reason.

Who cares about capability when credibility is always in question?

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   

A seriously beautiful example for our modern days.

fire real weapons over a cyber-attack on a U.S. Corporation owned by the Japanese

just doesn't likely, but wouldn't it be an invitation for everybody else to do the same if therewas no reaction? Sanctions, is almost impossible, NK is already almost isolated. What to do? I'd at least set up a pro-forma sea barrier. Putin in Australia style...

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 12:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

An intelligent response would be a call to inspect and upgrade/patch all infrastructure hardware/software in the US. A physical military presence anywhere the U.S. aren't already, would only threaten to turn a cyber-war into a shooting-war.

Focus on fixing problems at home so vital infrastructure can't be taken down, and you render their cyber-war powerless.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: woogleuk
a reply to: SLAYER69

Would they have people capable of such a hack in NK?

I know they can [allegedly] build nuclear weapons, but as an IT engineer, I cannot imagine them having such a great tech department when it comes to that, unless the security that Sony employs is no better than the built in Windows firewall.

Don't get me wrong, I don't subscribe to the thought that they are all working on Commodore PET / Vic 20 / whatever.....but this is a pretty sophisticated attack that I wouldn't think that such a restrictive country would be capable of.

both NK and PRC have entire military units dedicated to hacking and cyber warfare (as does the US). both countries have the capability, though PRC has a much broader, more extensive setup. when it comes to cyber warfare, nothing would surprise me about either of those two being involved with it.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   

26 June 2014

North Korea has promised "merciless" retaliation if a forthcoming Hollywood movie about killing Kim Jong-un is released, say agencies.

A North Korean foreign ministry spokesman said in state media that the movie's release would be an "act of war".

Where is the mystery?
They said they would do it back in June.

They believe we are at war, Obama must be golfing again.

Source

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   

well then: good luck! Oh and hurry fix it fast, everybody saw it.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I wonder what the response is going to be from the US?

U.S. officials have said the government will retaliate for the attacks and White House Press Secretary Josh Earnest said the response would be "proportional."

CNN

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 12:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Darkblade71
I wonder what the response is going to be from the US?

U.S. officials have said the government will retaliate for the attacks and White House Press Secretary Josh Earnest said the response would be "proportional."

CNN

hacking all those entertainment studios that use NK as a tax haven, obviously.

or maybe they'll turn the 8 hours of electricity people get a day off entirely for a week.

ooooo, or maybe hacking state TV and showing Team America World Police on continuous loop!!

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Can I cast my ballot for the third option?

That sounds like something Anonymous would do, honestly.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join