It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Marine sacrifices finger to save wedding ring

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Given a choice between saving his wedding ring or part of a mangled finger Marine Lance Cpl. David Battle elected to save the ring. The California resident made the decision out of love and respect for his wife. Unfortunately in the ensuing chaos at the hospital, the ring was lost. Despite the severe wound, the marine is confident he can return to the Corps and replace the wedding ring.

www.cnn.com
VICTORVILLE, California (AP) -- When Marine Lance Cpl. David Battle learned he'd either have to sacrifice his ring finger or the wedding band he wore, he told doctors at a field hospital in Iraq to cut off the finger.

The 19-year-old suffered a mangled left hand and serious wounds to his legs in a November 13 fire fight in Falluja. Battle, who is recovering at his parents' home in this desert city 130 kilometers (80 miles) northeast of Los Angeles, came under attack as he and fellow Marines entered a building. Eleven other Marines were wounded.

Doctors were preparing to cut off Battle's ring to save as much of his finger as they could.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Boy that is love if I ever saw it. It reminds me of the great San Francisco 49er free safety Ronnie Lott. During a came he partially tore off the tip of a finger from the knuckle when it got caught in a helmet. Given the choice of leaving the game to go to the hospital and having it sewed back on, or cutting the rest of it off and going back to the game, He snipped off the tip and went back to play. Semper Fi

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Thats a amazing show of love for your wife, but I would hope your wife would rather have you keep all your digits then a wedding band that can be replaced or repaired a perk when your made up of gold.

I cant believe they lost the ring on the poor guy after all that
you think somebody could have put it in a safe place for the guy

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
Thats a amazing show of love for your wife, but I would hope your wife would rather have you keep all your digits

I have to agree with you there, the ring can be replaced, but the finger is gone forever. Yeah it is sad that they lost it. To go through all that and have it be "lost" or more likely hawked as some Bahgdad pawn shop :shk:

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 02:03 AM
link   
The precious is ours, yes it is.....

top topics

join