It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cop caught with 4 pounds of marijuana at home won’t be charged

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 07:01 PM
link   
And to make matters worse, it was supposed to be evidence, but he stole it.

A California police officer already being investigated by the District Attorney’s office was discovered with four pounds of marijuana in his home, but he won’t be charged with possession.

an internal investigation found he failed to file more than three dozen police reports

Instead of storing the pot in the department’s evidence locker, Avila stored it in the trunk of his car and home, and failed to file a police report about the seizure

The Contra Costa County District Attorney’s Office... ...said it is not inclined to file charges

The county’s chief public defender, Robin Lipetzky, told The Contra Costa Times the evidence is not strong enough to produce a conviction

Source

Come on police and police sympathizers of ATS, let's hear your justification this time. Please, tell me why any random civilian will be taken to jail for having personal-use amounts of marijuana, but when a cop is caught having stolen over 4 pounds from police evidence and storing it in his home, he's not even charged with a crime.
The police are a gang!

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Medicinal purposes....LOL

All kidding aside, if that was you or me with 4 lbs of MJ, we'd be doing federal time
...still waiting to hear someone justify him having it
edit on 12/18/2014 by HomerinNC because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: trollz

If I was a cop I would steal people's dope too lol

link   
He merely forgot to turn it it.....?

link   
He merely forgot to turn it it.....?

+6 more 
posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 07:09 PM
link   

He shouldn't be charged for having marijuana in his home. Nobody should.

Stealing marijuana? That's a different story.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 07:09 PM
link   
He said he "needed" it to train his canine. Sounds legit.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 07:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: muchmadness

He should when normal people are thrown in prison for multiple years and have their lives ruined simply for having a personal-use amount, which is a fraction of the amount that this guy stole.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Avila stored it in the trunk of his car and home, and failed to file a police report about the seizure

Don't cops work with informants, set up stings and buys to entrap people? Cover story blown.

Like all the throw down "replica" guns they mail order, its something they don't declare or fill out forms over.

Until they make arrests.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 07:17 PM
link   
well if he was gonna steel it, he didn't think it through very well.
and i notice you didn't bother to post this.

from the op's source,

The incident happened on November 25, 2013, when Avila picked up a box containing the marijuana from a UPS store. He radioed a dispatcher to say he would file an incident report, but that never happened and the marijuana never found its way into the department evidence locker, a violation of police policy.

officer Joe Avila, talking to himself.
i'm gonna take this 5 pounds of weed, but first i need to call it in, and tell them i have it and that i will file the report and turn it in later. i'm sure everybody will forget it, and won't be logged in that i called. then it's all mine. please, some of them might be dumb asses but they aren't that dumb

a lazy cop, didn't file reports and didn't want to.

edit on 18-12-2014 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 07:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: trollz

originally posted by: muchmadness

He should when normal people are thrown in prison for multiple years and have their lives ruined simply for having a personal-use amount, which is a fraction of the amount that this guy stole.

Ah, yes. Revenge arrest. Well, it would make us feel better at some primal level, I suppose.

I'd still rather just see everyone who is in jail for marijuana be set free with a check for $100,000 for every year they've been locked up.

Oh yeah, and their weed back.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 07:30 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Is should be painfully clear to all that we live in a two tier justice system.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Annnnnnnd that's why nobody likes us

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Its another one for #AskACop.

If I glue a civilian who has tampered with evidence to the back of a cop who has tampered with evidence will they hover, spinning above the ground forever?

How much dope can a cop be caught with without being charged?

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 08:18 PM
link   
It would be hard to convict this guy though. Sure he was in possession of 4lb's of pot but he also isn't a just a civilian. Not saying he is anything more but rather something else, A cop. He has more reason to have marijuana in his car than almost all of you out there. Most of us would be convicted quickly but a mistake by a cop is bound to happen. Proving intents would be very tough!

There is also the chance he was using it for his own benefit. With some cops now days its not unreasonable to question his intent. Proving is much different.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 08:37 PM
link   
"the evidence is not strong enough to produce a conviction"

4 lbs of pot in his car & home not enough evidence?

People have been given prison terms for a roach in the ashtray.

Peace

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Dbl post
edit on 18-12-2014 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 08:52 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Instead of storing the pot in the department’s evidence locker, Avila stored it in the trunk of his car and home, and failed to file a police report about the seizure

THIS right here..

is the major issue.. !!! Think about this for a split second ...don't over think it ...

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join