It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rand Paul Supports Opening Up Relations with Cuba

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Are entire problem with Cuba was because they supported the Soviet Union. That is why we broke ties and launched the embargo. It of course had nothing to with human rights ect. as we have allies like Saudi Arabi, Egypt (who were evil until they changed to our side), Thialand, etc. that are worse than Cuba is today in many areas. And during the cold war we had not problem supporting dictators as long as the were anti Soviet. Cuba chose the wrong team. That team lost over 20 years ago. And the only reason the Cuban embargo has lasted is because of the politcal power of Cuban Exhiles in a swing state. No logical reason can be given to continue the santions and embargo against Cuba. This is a case where everybody wins. No way should this be something split down party lines. Of course it will be because politicians are more interested in figting each other than they are doing anything that make sense.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 11:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

a reply to: intrptr

I wonder how Cubans feel being "opened up"

The Cuban Citizens got "opened up" real good in 1959.

Maybe this will put some "openings" into the Cuban Government.

But I have a feeling this "New Deal" will benefit the Government more than the citizens.

Care to give your actual opinion, rather then just "air quotes". Perhaps tell us your reasoning why this is good or bad?

How will this affect the Cuban population and why? What is the American blowback?

Do you have any ideas on how to make the US - Cuban relations better?

Do you have a better answer to an antiquated belief that obviously doesn't work?

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 11:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: MrSpad
And the only reason the Cuban embargo has lasted is because of the politcal power of Cuban Exhiles in a swing state.

Sorry to snip your whole post, but this is the root of the truth..........+1

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Well, I agree with my senator. I think it is time to end the charade. There hasn't really been a true embargo in some time. At least a couple of years ago various states started sending representatives down there for discussions of one kind or another. I remember our governor being on tv crowing about it and how it was going to be a benefit for our state. Some of the farm organizations have been visiting there for years. One of the tobacco farmers from our area seems to think that this will open up some new opportunities for those few farmers who still grow dark-fired tobacco because the Cuban cigar market was one of their main customers until the embargo. I'm in favor of anything that will give the small farmers a helping hand rather than a boot on their behind.
I believe I remember hearing Slick promise to normalize relations with Cuba during his campaign. When he gave China the nod as a Most Favored Nation in trading status, I thought lifting the embargo would surely follow soon. I've heard that the Big Ag people, particularly the factory farm operations are just chomping at the bit to get their operations going there. The banksters and Big Chem will surely support getting BigAg whatever will make the most money for them. Of course, they will be using the cover of "feeding the masses."
A group of medical professionals from the University of Kentucky visited Cuba a while back to study their socialized health care system. One of the members of that group reported that health care in Cuba today is much like health care in the US before government began poking its nose into health care in the '60s. The difference is that the medical people are paid directly by the government, no insurance company middlemen. However, that professional also said that the diseases they saw also parallel those being treated in the US at that time. Cancer and auto-immune diseases were rare. Speculation by that group of health professionals was that the absence of many of the health problems found in the US was due to the difference in diet and in the methodology of agricultural practices, less use of pesticides, hormones and other synthetics.
So, on the one hand, I have hope that normalization will bring about the ability of families to re-unite while on the other hand, I fear what Monsanto and their ilk will do to the health of the Cuban people. As all things in life, there must be a balancing.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 12:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Connector

While I would like to think this maneuver is somewhat altruistic, I believe it's more Geo-political in nature. Ya know, that whole new cold war…

Or same old one dusted off. Another round of anti communism propaganda for the new anti Russian mill. I heard Obama say they are still 'communist' down there in Havana.

And here comes America to their rescue.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 01:40 AM
link   
a reply to: buster2010
Because Marco Pubio hates Cuba and that's where some are getting those ideas.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 01:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
a reply to: crazyewok

'Ignorant' eh.

The world was laughing at us long before Cuba, and over other things,

The world has being laughing at America for other reasons not just Cuba, you Americans should realize you are the only nation that has being hurting Cubans, the Communists arent the ones hurting Cuba.

Yet millions of Americans are missing a complete understanding of Cubans when they never had the chance to experience the real Cuba.

Get it over with, the cold war is over only your idiotic leaders want it to restart it just they are now on Russia.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 01:50 AM
link   
a reply to: MrSpad

No doubt you would be enjoying seeing Mcdolands in Cuba every 24 hours as soon they start up. Its not surpising why the fast food service is losing customers around the westren world.

Even the Japanese know that food is destroying its food culture.
Are entire problem with Cuba was because they supported the Soviet Union.

The same Soviet Union that actually cares for the living and women rights.

LOL WHAT?
It of course had nothing to with human rights ect. as we have allies like Saudi Arabi, Egypt (who were evil until they changed to our side),

I Cant be sure if can seriously with this one, according by your logic Saudi Arabi had changed its views on Human Rights? along with Egypt?

Saudi Arabia has being the main abuser of Human Rights for a long time even on GAYS.

we had not problem supporting dictators as long as the were anti Soviet. Cuba chose the wrong team. That team lost over 20 years ago.

Soviet Union may have collapsed but Russia still stands. And its not going anywhere.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 01:51 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 01:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010
There was no logical reason for the embargo to last as long as it did. Many other nations have done far worst than Cuba and we have relations with them so why all the hate for Cuba?

More to the point..EVERY other nation on the globe has abandoned the US on it's Cuba stance over the past half a century...The only country left that was supporting the US Embargo was...Israel..of course.
edit on 19-12-2014 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Money is more powerful than political ideology...for better or worse.

Engagement with Cuba will bring them into the fold...for better or worse.

Will it benefit the Cuban people? Yes .. Will it harm the Cuban people? yes ...it's American capitalism.

Bottom line is, since the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991, Cuba's Sugar Daddy has been late and short with payments and the Cuban people have been feeling it increasingly with each passing year.

And Fidel (The Teflon Dan)...who we tried to assassinate multiple times, is old and mostly retired and not long for this world.

His brother Raul is a pragmatist.

They are 90 miles off the coast of Florida...it's time to bring them back into the fold...and hopefully we can preserve the things that make Cuba special, rather than make the island one big Club Med resort.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 05:09 PM
link   
This is long overdue. The embargo has hurt no one but the Cuban people.

However, this has nothing to do with humanitarianism. This normalization was announced at almost the same time as HR.5859. Cuba is being brought into the fold as the West's newest vassal. The US and her allies could not take the chance that Russia would renew her ties with Cuba.

But, America treats its vassals quite well. So the Cuban people will definitely benefit. They will also suffer as the Banksters take over. But they will be able to experience Bread and Circuses of quite high quality.

The US will benefit by ridding itself of an enemy that essentially resides in its coastal waters. We will also get access to an entire nation full of classic cars that have been maintained in remarkably good condition.

dex

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 06:38 PM
link   
This new initiative of America opening relations with Cuba wouldn't have anything to do with Putin's dream of reviving old connections?

Would it?

ETA: I see dex beat me to it.

edit on 19/12/14 by masqua because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2015 @ 11:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
a reply to: intrptr

If Cuba had oil under it like Iraq, Libya and syria, we wouldn't be hearing this.

Cuba does have oil. It is mostly off shore.

I wonder how Cubans feel being "opened up".

I think most Cubans, like my parents, are tired of 50 years of failed policy toward the Castro regime. Its time to try something different.

Hey my friend

Could you give us as update? How are things being reported back to you from your fam? Better or worse after US relations cracked?

posted on Aug, 10 2015 @ 10:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Connector

My parents are stateside.

My extended family, who are still in Cuba, have not seen any net change.

These types of changes take time. A few weeks does not change the effects of long standing policy.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join