It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rand Paul Supports Opening Up Relations with Cuba

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Well this should set some minds spinning.....how to reconcile a right side poster boy, siding with Obama. Personally I think he's spot on this time.

washingtonpost

Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) says he supports opening up relations with Cuba, a position that that puts him at odds with much of the would-be Republican presidential field.

“The 50-year embargo just hasn’t worked,” Paul told Tom Roten of WVHU in Huntington, West Virginia. "If the goal was regime change, it sure doesn’t seem to be working, and probably it punishes the people more than the regime because the regime can blame the embargo for hardship." He added: “In the end, I think, probably, opening up Cuba is probably a good idea."

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 06:56 PM
link   

edit on 18-12-2014 by neo96 because: never mind

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 06:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
Shut up Rand we already have a commie in office.

Second.

Talk about ignorant.

Opening trade to cuba does not make a "commie".

Cuban embargo is just a waste of time and a joke the rest of the world laughs at America at.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 07:01 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

'Ignorant' eh.

The world was laughing at us long before Cuba, and over other things,

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 07:02 PM
link   
There was no logical reason for the embargo to last as long as it did. Many other nations have done far worst than Cuba and we have relations with them so why all the hate for Cuba?

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 07:06 PM
link   

'Ignorant' eh.

Well if it wasn't why did you delete it?

Yes. The world IS laughing at the US with it's actions towards Cuba.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Shut up Rand we already have a commie in office.

Second.

'Ignorant' eh.

Care to address the OP or just lash out with nonsense? Shall I expect poor poor neo in 3....2....1......

Like I said....minds spinning

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 07:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Connector

"If the goal was regime change, it sure doesn’t seem to be working, and probably it punishes the people more than the regime because the regime can blame the embargo for hardship."

If Cuba had oil under it like Iraq, Libya and syria, we wouldn't be hearing this.

I wonder how Cubans feel being "opened up".

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 07:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
a reply to: Connector

"If the goal was regime change, it sure doesn’t seem to be working, and probably it punishes the people more than the regime because the regime can blame the embargo for hardship."

If Cuba had oil under it like Iraq, Libya and syria, we wouldn't be hearing this.

Exactly!

Cuba has been "opened up" to the majority of the world, since the mid-late '80's. I imagine the biggest deal of this is, family's that haven't been able to see each other in xxxxx amount of yrs will be able too. More money will flow in, more commodities will be available. It will be interesting to see the reaction of both sides ( American citizens visiting there and vise versa ) when they encounter the other's health systems.
edit on 18-12-2014 by Connector because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 07:53 PM
link   
I am a staunch anti-communist. My mother and father are Cuban refugees who are very anti-Castro and anti-Communist as well. But they don't see this quite the same way as many republicans do.

At the end of the day 50 years of embargo has done NOTHING to effect positive change in Cuba. The BEST thing we could do is end the embargo and actually engage Cuba. Maybe we can even open the Island to trade and businesses.

We certainly can't do that by maintaining the embargo.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 07:55 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Cuba does have oil. It is mostly off shore.

I think most Cubans, like my parents, are tired of 50 years of failed policy toward the Castro regime. Its time to try something different.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 08:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

I think most Cubans, like my parents, are tired of 50 years of failed policy toward the Castro regime. Its time to try something different.

If memory serves, you and I have butted heads here a few times over the yrs, and it's always been a good natured debate.....

Thank you for the honest and unbiased/nonpartisan posts with useful personal insight

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Some smart guy once said that "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"/
Well, after 50 years of doing the same thing over and over again, it's probably time to try something different.
I agree with Rand Paul. We're not hurting the Castro brothers as much as we're hurting the people.

Hopefully we can still press them on their continued human right violations and releasing of political prisoners through actual state department dialogue, instead of trying to starve them into doing it.

my 2 cents

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 08:53 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

Then Cuba doesn't "have it". When did that stop Oil Co anyway?

think most Cubans, like my parents, are tired of 50 years of failed policy toward the Castro regime. Its time to try something different.

Invasion?

If you think for one minute I believe US policy is going to shazam into some benevolent benefactor regards any country on this planet then… go ahead.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 10:08 PM
link   
This is a time to give praise to a GOP member( MOST OF THE TIME I AM RIPPING THEM APART) when he advocates something which I believe is good.

Unlike many others here (who are extremely bi-partisan and choking in the left/right struggle) I give praise to Republicans WHEN THEY DO AND SAY THE RIGHT THING)

Others here who are right wing NEVER GIVE OBAMA ANY PRAISE OR ANY OTHER LIBERAL
Even though I am progressive I will give credit to a conservative WHEN THEY DO AND SAY THE RIGHT THING.

I wish others could do the same.

I give credit and praise to this conservative libertarian Rand Paul for this useful advocacy on this issue.

edit on 18-12-2014 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 10:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
a reply to: projectvxn

Then Cuba doesn't "have it". When did that stop Oil Co anyway?

think most Cubans, like my parents, are tired of 50 years of failed policy toward the Castro regime. Its time to try something different.

Invasion?

If you think for one minute I believe US policy is going to shazam into some benevolent benefactor regards any country on this planet then… go ahead.

While I would like to think this maneuver is somewhat altruistic, I believe it's more Geo-political in nature. Ya know, that whole new cold war, rubble collapsing, oil chaos thingy.

The States just picked up one of the Soviets old stomping grounds....tit for tat

Regardless, it will hopefully improve the lives of the common Cuban citizen.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 10:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010
There was no logical reason for the embargo to last as long as it did. Many other nations have done far worst than Cuba and we have relations with them so why all the hate for Cuba?

Holy crap buster2010 we agree on something...

I too do not give a crap about the embargo. One of the biggest ways of reform is to provide the population with choices and I would bet if we ended the embargo they would get better choices and that country would move forward into a better era. There is no reform from any other direction than from within......

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 10:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

Absolutely, absolutely, if guns, assassinations, coup attempts couldn’t do it, then iphones, computers, ipads, cable, baseball, and good ol fashion American materialism can get to em.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Can anyone really give a good explanation why we shouldn't stabilize relations with Cuba? I mean other than spite. We are actively trading with both of our Cold War archnemises. Yet we can't forgive one of their pawns? You can't even really argue the human rights angle. There are those who would argue that one of our strongest allies, Israel, is the worst violator of human rights. Anyone that opposes a stabilization of relations does so out of spite. Either spite towards Cuba they learned from Cold War propaganda; or spite towards Obama they learned from Fox News propaganda.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 10:57 PM
link   

I wonder how Cubans feel being "opened up"

The Cuban Citizens got "opened up" real good in 1959.

Maybe this will put some "openings" into the Cuban Government.

But I have a feeling this "New Deal" will benefit the Government more than the citizens.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join