It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: NASA Administrator Sean OKeefe Set To Resign

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Chief NASA Administrator Sean O'Keefe is set to resign this week according to government sources. The sources further indicate that he is a candidate for the chancellor of Louisiana State University. As director of the space agency for more that 3 years OKeefe has had to deal with both budget issues and the loss of the Columbia orbiter and its astronauts. He also has come under sever criticism for his dealing with the Hubble space telescope.

story.news.yahoo.com
WASHINGTON - NASA Administrator Sean O'Keefe will resign this week, a government official said Sunday, and a spokesman for Louisiana State University said O'Keefe is a leading candidate to become a chancellor there.

The committee looking for someone to fill the $500,000-a-year job running the campus in Baton Rouge, La., meets Thursday, and O'Keefe will make his case for the job, search committee chairman Joel Tohline said.

O'Keefe has led the space agency for almost three years, a tumultuous period marred by the loss of the shuttle Columbia and its seven astronauts as well as budget battles and debates over the future of American space travel.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I think that regime change at NASA is needed. But the housecleaning needs to occur at all levels of NASA. Where have all the Glenns, the Shepards, the Armstrongs gone? We now have administrators and red tape telling engineers what to do and not the other way around. A culture of risk aversion combined with apathy and a cover-up mentality seems pervasive at NASA. One would have expected that the agency would have learned from the Challenger disaster but sadly that is not the case.

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Wonder what the reason are for him stepping down?

Or if this will have any impact on the Moon, Mars, & Beyond initiative?

I never really like Sean O' Keefe, So i'm not sad to see him go.

I think the pressure of that position finally got to him (IE:Columbia, Genesis, Hubble, The new space initiative). They all piled together and he broke.

I hope they pick a better leader, with a better vision.

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Murcielago
I hope they pick a better leader, with a better vision.

SO do I, but I think the whole administration needs to go.

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 03:28 AM
link   
it about time he is leaving.i watched the columbia space shuttle come down from space live on the internet.i was so sad to see this happen live just like the 911 event live on tv.watched a happy ground crew waiting for a voice that turned into total chaos and sadness all in the final hour.this guy new about the situation about the shuttle hole and did nothing.why did nasa keep this guy?he also screwed up the hubble telescope funding which makes me feel really sad.now there will be no more fixing of the hubble and i think that sucks.we learned more from that telescope than most space flights. flukemol........

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I think people need to forget about what they dont know (IE:Hubble).
What i mean is: People see all these deep space images and they know about the hubble and they think that since its big and in space that its the best telescope in the world, errrrr wrong, especially within the coming year when a few more big new (ground) telescopes come on line, like the VLT & the LBT.

The hubble was a amazing telescope, but its time is gone, and by 2007 it wont be needed, so why spend 1 billion to keep it going to 2012?

If you think the hubble should be "saved" and that we need to either send a robotic mission or a shuttle mission to save it, then I ask you to take an hour out of your day and learn about other telescopes that are coming online or under construction or in a concept phase, and once you know about the other dozen or so that are better then the hubble, maybe then you will relize that its not worth spending more money on it.
Use it till its unusable, then discard it. (no repair mission)

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 09:52 PM
link   
You have to remember the whole reason he was brought in was to get the agency back on track. Between cost overruns and a former administrator (can't remember his name) who didn't support space exploration - the agency had been mismanaged for a long time.

O'Keefe, although not a true NASA man, did help them find direction and purpose again. From what I heard today he was going to step down a couple of years ago and only stayed on because of the Columbia disaster.

So while O'Keefe wasn't what most of us hope for - he did the best he could with what little Congress gave him. Who knows what kind of administrator we are going to get next?

Always trying to find that silver lining,
B.

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 10:28 PM
link   
The Moon, Mars, & Beyond initiative is just a front for the laughable missile shield that neo-cons always have a hard on for. I guess it's the pork money they can throw at big business because of it. Maybe O'Keefe wouldn't 'play ball'.

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by curme
The Moon, Mars, & Beyond initiative is just a front for the laughable missile shield that neo-cons always have a hard on for. I guess it's the pork money they can throw at big business because of it. Maybe O'Keefe wouldn't 'play ball'.

ummmmm.....huh?
How is Nasa's future vision tie in with the missile defense shield?

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 11:20 PM
link   

ummmmm.....huh?

Vague details, but a huge budget, seem to suggest that the noble mission of exploration is the guise for a SDI variant.

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 11:53 PM
link   

ummmmm.....huh?

curme seems to be on to something. I found this tonight:

No timetable has been set for naming a successor. A list of names first made public by www.nasawatch.com is floating around Washington, with retired Air Force Lt. Gen. Ronald Kadish, who headed of the Missile Defense Agency until recently, at the top.

*snip*

In addition to Kadish, three former astronauts - Bob Crippen, Ron Sega and Charles Bolden - are rumored to be in the running, as is retired Rep. Robert Walker, a Pennsylvania Republican who also served on the president's commission that examined how to make the vision happen.

So will NASA go with the military or a former astronaut? I hate to see the direction NASA will go if Kadish is selected.

The entire article can be found - here

B.

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by curme
The Moon, Mars, & Beyond initiative is just a front for the laughable missile shield that neo-cons always have a hard on for. I guess it's the pork

The missile shield is hardly what I would call Pork. The technology that will be perfect will makes its way into civilian practice. laugh all you want at Reagans Star Wars shield, the practical applications of the research have been integrated into the civilian sector. No doubt the same will occur here.

Plus if Kim goes postal and lobs a feww at us, a limited shield is better than sitting around waiting for the end no? The west coast would be a target first off.

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I bet Kadish will get the spot, not because Nasa's money if being funneled to the MDS (missile defense shield), Nasa only gets 15 billion, and over half of that is spent on the ISS.

Nasa & The Air Force have always had strong ties, this will just make them stronger. and maybe he knows stuff that will help Nasa.

new topics

top topics

join