It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Throw away those tissues!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 03:50 PM
link   
How many of us have a tissue in our pocket? Especially this time of year, we tend to try to make sure we have them, right? So how many of us might use that tissue once to say, catch a sneeze or cough then stuff that tissue right back into our pocket or purse? Well, just because it might not have anything that is visibly gross doesn't mean it is "clean." Even though we all probably "know" this we still tend to stick that tissue back into our pocket or purse. Don't do it!
Dispose of it---properly---immediately.
This was brought to my attention yesterday when I dropped by my chiropractor's office to chat about a totally different issue. On the table in the waiting room was a box that contained small plastic bags which contained a packet of tissues and a note explaining how tissues should not be "saved" once they have been used. The reason the packet is in a small plastic bag is for safe disposal. Use the tissue and if there isn't a trash can handy just place the used tissue in the plastic bag to keep the germs from transferring to pocket or purse. Then, wash your hands.
Yes, it is simple common sense but I've done it and I'll bet you have too!

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 04:06 PM
link   
a reply to: diggindirt

What a great idea...besides my tissues (from now on) I will carry along a zip-lock plastic bag too. I have never thought of this...thank you for the information!

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 06:31 PM
link   
a reply to: caladonea
Seem so simple as to be astounding doesn't it?
Also just want to add that my doc doesn't agree with the current "suggestion" to sneeze or cough into your elbow since that just leaves the little buggies there on your clothing and waiting to spread. That was one of his reasons for providing the tissues with their means of safe disposal.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 06:53 PM
link   
I suppose it is good advice, but I have never really feared exposing myself to germs. I figure that exposure allows your body to develop a stronger immune system, which will be more capable of defending against certain germs in the future. I suppose there are some illnesses that one cannot really develop any immunity against however, but I do not really know how common or uncommon immunity is to everyday germs. And then of course once one gets older, it is probably better to be a bit more careful, as a person's immune system is likely to decline with age, considering that various cells could stop regenerating. The body tends to decline with age. Anyway, like you stated, a tissue, especially after using it to wipe your nose or something, is going to be covered in germs and should probably be discarded.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Wait... You're telling me that people blow their snot into tissue papers, and then stuff them back into their pockets and purses?

originally posted by: diggindirt
I've done it and I'll bet you have too!

No, no I have not.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 09:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: trollz
Wait... You're telling me that people blow their snot into tissue papers, and then stuff them back into their pockets and purses?

originally posted by: diggindirt
I've done it and I'll bet you have too!

No, no I have not.

No, maybe just cover the mouth from a cough or sneeze that is non-productive of visible "stuff."
You are sitting in a waiting room and feel a sneeze coming on. You dig out a tissue, catch the sneeze and stuff the tissue back into your pocket. Yes, I've done it and if you haven't, good on you because this thread has no bearing on your behavior.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 09:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: JiggyPotamus
I suppose it is good advice, but I have never really feared exposing myself to germs. I figure that exposure allows your body to develop a stronger immune system, which will be more capable of defending against certain germs in the future. I suppose there are some illnesses that one cannot really develop any immunity against however, but I do not really know how common or uncommon immunity is to everyday germs. And then of course once one gets older, it is probably better to be a bit more careful, as a person's immune system is likely to decline with age, considering that various cells could stop regenerating. The body tends to decline with age. Anyway, like you stated, a tissue, especially after using it to wipe your nose or something, is going to be covered in germs and should probably be discarded.

To a great degree I'm in agreement. However, the flu seems to be running wild in our area at this time. The local nursing home is "locked down" and won't allow visitors because of the flu outbreaks. (This is despite the fact that they gave every single patient a flu shot and a pneumonia shot whether they wanted one or not.) We don't take flu shots for the reasons you mentioned, we feel it is better to build the immune system naturally. But why take unnecessary risks when those risks are so easily avoided? In my opinion it is better to not make that immune system work overtime. Such a simple step just seems like common sense.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 09:54 PM
link   
I don't keep any tissues, I get rid of them immediately.

But at work, if I am sick (as I am now) I wear a mask all day- actually many of them, I throw them out and put on a new one many times. But I am constantly thinking about how they are there, getting humid and full of germs and what not from my breath, which are trapped in front of my mouth and nose...probably reproducing at an amazing rate, only to come back into me each time I breathe! It bugs the heck out of me. I just don't see any definitive way of protecting ourselves and others from these things except isolation.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Tissues suck. I carry a cloth handkerchief.

The tissues, even the expensive ones, will rub your nose RAW over the course of a single day when you have nasal drip. Cloth wont.

You cannot carry enough disposable tissues with your to handle a major wiping fit. And they are never around when you need them. You have to...trust... that the people at your destination will have a supply of them to lend you. But often you will e greeted by an empty dispenser.

I'm an old man. Young people consider me gross merely because I have hair growing out my ears like Yoda. So what do I care of their opinions of a handkerchief?

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 03:03 AM
link   

Screw that. I've had a cold for four weeks. Survival of the fittest bro. If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen.

edit on 19-12-2014 by Wide-Eyes because: Grammar

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 03:21 AM
link   
a reply to: tovenar

On your love of handkerchiefs---I love 'em too. There are any number of circumstances that render them far superior to a tissue. I'm never without a sturdy handkerchief. I'm an old lady so my purse also contains a frilly one as well.
But there are times when it is far more practical and sanitary to use tissues.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 03:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluesma
I've always had those same misgivings about masks.
My defense against the things entering the mouth and nose is ionized silver solution. I keep a small nasal applicator in my purse. If I am out and about and begin to sneeze or experience a runny nose, I immediately spritz my nasal passages with the silver solution---well, as immediately as is polite, as in the restroom or getting to my car. Since I began that routine I've not had a cold or sinus infection. If I think my chest is becoming congested I use it in a nebulizer and within an hour or so it will begin to break up.
But I'm all about preventing misery and if disposing of tissues properly prevents some misery I want to get the word out!

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 03:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Wide-Eyes
You poor dear. If you were nearby I'd bring you a pot of chicken soup.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Aww. Bless ya, that would be lovely. Chicken soup is my favourite.

new topics

top topics

join