It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Exclusive: Sony Emails Say State Department Blessed Kim Jong-Un Assassination in ‘The Interview’

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Leaders are killed all the time in films, in particular dictators. If asked the State Department would have no objection to any film simply because they do have input on things like that.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 05:09 PM
link   
a reply to: MrSpad

other than the queen and bush they are all dead after their death was depicted on film.

it is not quite as usual as your post points too

Are you saying the state dept does not have say in such matters?

Do you feel they hold some responsibility for what hollywood puts on film and how the world may react to certain things in movies?

most of all are you saying that hw has total freedom to put anything in film and they do not have to get approval from the gov.?

edit on 18-12-2014 by deadeyedick because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 05:46 PM
link   
From what I understand the US government only concerns itself with films or books when the information contained within is somehow sensitive. This usually occurs when the writer possessed a security clearance and was somehow involved with the military or government, thus the government wishes to ensure that no state secrets or potentially damaging information is included. This does not seem to be the case with this film. I would not say that it is impossible for the State Department to have wanted to use this film for propaganda, but in my opinion this begs a very important question- who are they attempting to influence?

The vast majority of the US populace is well aware of the fact that North Korea's government is oppressive and downright brutal, and an international threat due to their policies, meaning that the propaganda could not really be directed towards the average US citizen. It could not be directed against North Korean citizens since they are not going to see the film anyway. All other nations are also aware of what goes on in North Korea, therefore I do not see why the US government would involve themselves with the intent of influencing anyone at all. They could have been attempting to anger Jong-Un, as they must have figured that was going to occur, but there is not really any point to this, unless they wish to provoke him to respond, in which case they can use that response to escalate the tension in some fashion. Truly that is the only option that makes any sense to me.

But in actuality, due to recent developments, we know that this could not be the case. Why? Because the film is not going to be released, in any format. So if the point was to anger and provoke North Korea, something would have been engineered with the studios to ensure that this movie came out. I mean look at all the threats from North Korea. If you wish to provoke them to orchestrate some kind of attack, then you go ahead with the release, and get your wish. Since that is not occurring, I see absolutely no significance in the State Department's involvement in this film. There is nobody for them to target with such "propaganda," and there is no way they are trying to provoke North Korea. Therefore this movie is simply a movie with a somewhat controversial plot. And I find it absolutely ridiculous that people are caving in to the demands of this rogue state. What kind of message does that send to these people?

You want to know the reason that the US always says they do not negotiate with terrorists? There are multiple reasons, such as not encouraging others to take action and make similar demands, attempting not to appear weak, etc...So by giving in to the demands of North Korea they are receiving the message that their blatant terrorist threats have actually influenced decisions within the US in their favor. This will make the North Korean government, which is already delusional, believe that they are stronger than they truly are, and they are bound to start making similar demands while simultaneously threatening dire consequences if their demands are not heeded. I would have to agree with Romney, for what is probably the first time in my life, that Sony should release the movie online. Either make it free, or charge a small fee. This would allow them to recoup some of their investment losses, and this also means that North Korea cannot carry out the threat of targeting theaters that show the movie. The truth is however that North Korea was not going to do anything. They don't have assets in the United States like powerful countries do, and even if they did such assets are rarely if ever used to carry out terrorist plots. I am referring to intelligence assets, many of which are embedded within the US. There are also official-cover foreign operatives at foreign embassies within the US, but these people do not carry out such acts, and North Korea does not have an embassy in the US. So in my opinion this whole situation is farcical, despite the grave threats that have been made. We know North Korea makes such threats, and we should not take them seriously. If they step out of line they will be facing a war with the US and South Korea, and I can guarantee you that China will not come to their defense.

Oh, you know I just thought of something. What if the US plan was to do exactly what has occurred. Make sure the movie is not released, and create actual anger against NK by US citizens. This would allow them to gain support for action against NK at some point in the future. The US must be careful though, because under certain circumstances China might come to the aid of NK, if the US blatantly started something. But if NK starts it, I don't think China will provide military support. We will see, and hopefully there is not clandestine operation at work here. I don't think there is, but there is a small possibility.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 05:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

This is the first non animated film where a sitting leader has been depicted as being killed.

This is NOT true. Lot's of examples exist like this one.

That's one post that I can agree with you. .
And there is the 'scary Movies' compendium, and then there are all the 'straight' movies with an edge, and sometimes blockbusters with a subliminal edge ahead of their time, but I suppose I venture into the realm of Off Topic. Who knows anymore.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 06:00 PM
link   
a reply to: JiggyPotamus

excellent on topic post

One could paint the picture that the part of the film where the two are secretly working for the man has been reality for yrs. case in point i feel that their films have greatly influenced a nation in the past on the topic of mj legalization. Now not many will see a problem with that but it is what it is. Their films have been a major factor of national debate on the issue and their films do fit what seems to be the timeline of the current pres.

It just seems like a waste for a gov. such as ours not to use such mediums for influence over the masses. That is if one believes in conspiracies and that the public in general is being herded overall.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join