It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

mars lander takes off today

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2003 @ 11:56 AM
link   
The new mars lander go's in to space today.will they find anything? hummm! I think they will find so water but deep under the surface.
If you want to see it go up. go to www.tiscali.co.uk... at 6.40 and what for it to go!it starts filming at 6.45 go's at 7.00

posted on Jun, 2 2003 @ 05:39 PM
link   
The probe from the ESA is carrying the lander 'Beagle', which cannot move on the surface but does have drilling equipment that will allow it to look for underground life. Though I hope its flight is successful, as it's the ESA's first mars lander, and as its flight is being managed by a telecom satellite company with no deep space experience... I don't think it will have a clean touchdown. Still, success with the Beagle could really boost the privatization movement within the space industry.

NASA also has two probes that are being launched to mars soon. Each one will be carrying a very advanced robotic rover... rovers that, in theory, can travel a respectbul distance away from their landing sites.

...oh, and Japan has a lander on its way to mars, as well. In many ways, this is an exciting time.

posted on Jun, 2 2003 @ 08:29 PM
link   
From the same link--

From Orbit, the Mars Express will be scanning the surface and atmosphere of the red planet looking for signs of water and accurately mapping the surface. Beagle 2, will investigate the geology of the landing site, monitor the climate and like the orbiter, look for signs of life, extinct or still living.

The 250 million mile trip should see the Beagle transmit its first signal from the surface of the Red Planet on Christmas Day.

I wonder exactly what procedures are being employed to "look for signs of life, extinct or still living". I think this mission has promise, however we do need to consider the loss of both the Mars Observer and Phobos 2! How many of these missions do you think will actually remain on-line long enough to broadcast something meaningful?

EDIT: Check out this link. It documents the history of the exploration of Mars, and details the multitude of craft that we've "lost": www.space.com...

[Edited on 3-6-2003 by MKULTRA]

posted on Jun, 3 2003 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Have aliens taken these so called missing craft?

I mean, since they started sending stuff into space, ther have been thousands more ufo reports. Does that mean aliens are taking our technology then modifying it so they can make visits to earth?

top topics

join