It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Sleeping Giant' of ancient life-sustaining water found in Earth's crust

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   
i'm not a scientist. But i have said a couple times that the Earth is constantly filling and carving underground caverns and rivers.

I still believe a lot of Earthquakes are caused by droughts and floods breaking apart supporting rock causing massive displacements in sediment and rock.

I think a lot of Sinkholes are formed as a consiquence.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: superman2012

Call me stoopid, but I assumed most of the water on Earth was 'old water' that has been recycled through the process of evaporation followed by rain/snow, over and over again... like I learned in science class of my childhood.

I say 'most of the water' because I do know water can arrive at any time from outer space via comets/asteroids.

But really, isn't most of the water here... 'old water' as in, been here going through the cycle of evaporation-to-precipitation, for eons?

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Strangely I keep seeing this come up like a new thing so I am not sure what or when they found the water.
examples

February 28, 2007 08:28am ET
Huge 'Ocean' Discovered Inside Earth
Scientists probing the Earth's interior have found a large reservoir of water equal to the volume of the Arctic Ocean beneath eastern Asia.

www.livescience.com...

December 06, 2013 12:24 PM
Huge Freshwater Aquifers Found Under Ocean Floor
“The volume of this water resource is a hundred times greater than the amount we’ve extracted from the Earth’s subsurface in the past century since 1900,” says lead author Dr. Vincent Post of the National Centre for Groundwater Research

www.voanews.com...

June 13, 2014
There’s a Huge Underground Ocean That Could Explain the Origin of Seas

time.com...

We have water!

A reservoir of water three times the volume of all the oceans has been discovered deep beneath the Earth's surface. The finding could help explain where Earth's seas came from.

The water is hidden inside a blue rock called ringwoodite that lies 700 kilometres underground in the mantle, the layer of hot rock between Earth's surface and its core.

www.newscientist.com...
edit on 18-12-2014 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 03:51 PM
link   
a reply to: new_here
Absolutely! I always tell my kids they are drinking dinosaur pee. However, with this "new" discovery ( I say "new" because of Char-Lee's post) I may be lying to my kids as they can't know for sure how long it would take to cycle if the Earth also acts as a filter for the water or if the water in the ground becomes part of the hydrologic cycle. Very interesting!

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 03:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

Discovery's such as this could quite possibly shed some light regarding the great deluge or numerous other accounts of a great flood which seem to permeate our religions and ancient historical accounts.

"In the six hundredth year of Noah’s life, in the second month, on the seventeenth day of the month, on that day all the fountains of the great deep burst forth, and the windows of the heavens were opened."

All that water had to come from somewhere.

Right! I always wondered where all the water came from in all the Flood stories throughout the world! This could be it.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I am afraid all that water was trapped in rock before the earth had completely formed......as the mass became greater the water got squished into the rock.....maybe.............

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 04:08 PM
link   

As far as i understand comets containing water, crashing into our planet at an earlier period, are responsible for a large percentage of the water on Earth. This type of information also raises some interesting questions regarding that theory.
edit on 18-12-2014 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake
There is still quite a bit of debate about that, especially with Rosetta's findings. I'm sure they were a source, there is just no definite answer right now.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 04:26 PM
link   

I could not agree more, hence the reason this information raises additional questions regarding said theory. Look at it this way if comets containing water are responsible for the water on Earth how come the Moon seems to have evaded collision with them? I suppose we could conclude that these water laden comets stuck the Earth before our Moon came into existence or orbited our planet but that also raises additional questions considering the fact that our Moon in covered with craters and seems to have been in the direct line of fire at some point in the distant past.
edit on 18-12-2014 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 04:35 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

The simple answer to that is our Atmosphere and magnetic field.

The moon experiences very high temperatures at times. Comets carrying water likely DID strike the moon, but without an atmosphere the water would evaporate out into space. The water vapor would then be gradually blown away by solar wind. Frozen ice beds are pretty well confirmed in some areas of the moon that never see sunlight like the edges of some craters.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: ScientificRailgun
So the comet bringing water to Earth theory would work but only after Earth cooled down in the beginning? Also, how many times would the planet have to be struck in order to have this much water on it? Is there a link I can read more about this theory that you have read? Thanks!

I have no doubt in my mind that Rosetta's finding are very specific to that one comet. I'm sure there are many different types so even though this one didn't have the same chemical composition as Earth's water, I believe there are some out there that do, or maybe a plethora of different comets crashed into Earth all mixing together. I just find it incredible to believe that comets brought ALL this water here...

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Most of the water-bearing comets that struck earth likely did so during the Late Heavy Bombardment, though I may be wrong on that. Even during this period, earth had an atmosphere of sorts to keep water vapor from escaping, and even if it had escaped, the earth's magnetic field would keep a good majority of that water vapor from getting blown away, allowing it to eventually cool and precipitate back onto the surface.

This Link might lead you down the rabbit hole to the answers you seek, but again I could wrong. I'm no astrophysicist.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Where do these water laden comets come from through, the Oort Cloud the Kuiper Belt? Our star system seems to be full of the stuff.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 05:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

Where do these water laden comets come from through, the Oort Cloud the Kuiper Belt? Our star system seems to be full of the stuff.

That's a great question, one I don't have an immediate answer for. I'll have to do some research on that one. Thanks for giving me some learnin' fuel! Though I will point to my previous post, namely the "I'm no astrophysicist" part in a vain attempt to sate your thirst.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Excellent! Thanks for the direction. I'm no astrophysicist either, I just work in water treatment and find it interesting!

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 05:20 PM
link   

That's the great thing about science, it raises more questions than answers.

Water seems to be one of the basic requirements to support life as we know it, our Earth has to have accumulated it from somewhere, one has to wonder as to its origins. Seems to me we should be detecting more of the stuff all the same.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Yes, I would think the Water on Earth is already Billions of year old.
Every drop....including us...we are made of elements, created in Stars that have lived and died (so scientists tell us).
So we are all billions of years old, and we never die....we return to the elements and the Universe........
Hows that, much deeper than any religious rubbish.

Perhaps it is the water that keeps our Planet cool, and the magma away from the crust.
Without this vast amount of water, the Earth may be hotter on the surface.
Perhaps the hydrogen in this water, is helping to feed our internal nuclear furnace...who knows.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Your thread title reminds me of the mural at bank of america.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 07:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: stirling
The xtains will be along to tell you its the leftovers from Noahs flood soon......
hey Donald.....DUCK!

Is there such a thing as old water?

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Could these underground waters have caused Noah's flood, could they have erupted all at once???

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join