It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Sleeping Giant' of ancient life-sustaining water found in Earth's crust

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Thursday, December 18, 2014, 10:44 AM - A Canadian-led team of researchers has discovered that Earth's crust holds a vast repository of ancient water, potentially billions of years old, that may be supporting a vast underground biosphere.

These new findings, published this week in the journal Nature and reported at the 2014 American Geophysical Union meeting in San Francisco, have important implications towards how life started on Earth, how it may have survived during times when the surface was being bombarded by asteroids, and even for whether life may exist on worlds such as Mars.

According to University of Toronto geoscientist Barbara Sherwood Lollar, wherever on Earth her team examined the planet's oldest rock formations - either by drilling deep into the ground or exploring mines - they found water. While this isn't unusual, as water can trickle far down through soil and rock, what was surprising was the large quantity of the water, how old some of it is - millions to billions of years old - and the energy locked up in the water, in the form of dissolved hydrogen gas.

Very interesting!
While the article here, doesn't say ( I have not read the Journal it was published in yet) how much water they believe is under/in the crust it seems like the assumption is that there is quite a lot!!!
This would turn the current hydrologic cycle model to become a thing of the past. Amazing what we don't know but think we do!

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 11:16 AM
link   
The xtains will be along to tell you its the leftovers from Noahs flood soon......
hey Donald.....DUCK!

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 11:18 AM
link   
It would be interesting to see what`s living in that water,maybe some microbes that hold the cure for cancer.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: stirling

(I think you mean 'Christians'?)

Does sound like the 'Fountains of the deep' mentioned in Genesis.
Wonder if the Apollyon locusts are down there?
www.biblegateway.com...

(hate to say it, Tardacus, but there might just as easily be cancer-causing microbes...)

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 11:29 AM
link   
inb4 all the hollow-earthers come careening in here to hold up "Told you so" signs

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun
inb4 all the hollow-earthers come careening in here to hold up "Told you so" signs

lol, I was going to mention something about the hollow earth

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I find it funny people haven't figured this out yet. Of course there is a lot of water down there....the earth is like a giant filter for water....that is what gives everything life. The earth replenishes itself....it always has and always will.

As for hollow earth....hope they all have gills..........

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: superman2012

Discovery's such as this could quite possibly shed some light regarding the great deluge or numerous other accounts of a great flood which seem to permeate our religions and ancient historical accounts.

"In the six hundredth year of Noah’s life, in the second month, on the seventeenth day of the month, on that day all the fountains of the great deep burst forth, and the windows of the heavens were opened."

All that water had to come from somewhere.
edit on 18-12-2014 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 11:51 AM
link   
I would assume the bulk of this water is actually incorporated like shale gas into the rock down there......

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: stirling

I think there is some form of rock with characteristics that allow the water molecules to be trapped under the pressures at such depths.
edit on 18-12-2014 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: stirling
The xtains will be along to tell you its the leftovers from Noahs flood soon......
hey Donald.....DUCK!

There were many ancient floods told of in the ancient tales from peoples all over the world,long before christianity existed.
There is a good chance these were from the ice age melts-but who knows,maybe at times this inner water is thrust to the surface by some mechanism of the Earth...

I wonder if there are dodgy bugs/viruses in this old water?

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Could all this water help explain even further the idea of plate techtonics and why it is unique to earth in our solar system? I mean I understand the whole molten core idea but with another layer of massive amounts of water well wouldn't that be a part of it? I don't know alot of geology but figured I would throw that out there and maybe someone will learn me on this discoveries impact on that.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Brotherman
Could all this water help explain even further the idea of plate techtonics and why it is unique to earth in our solar system? I mean I understand the whole molten core idea but with another layer of massive amounts of water well wouldn't that be a part of it? I don't know alot of geology but figured I would throw that out there and maybe someone will learn me on this discoveries impact on that.

There is water on Mars,IO,Europa and probably more bodies in our solar system-Water isn't unique to Earth,or even our solar system.
Hydrogen and oxygen are very common in the universe,so therefore is water.

There are plate tectonics on the moon,Mars that I know of as well as on Earth.

edit on 18/12/2014 by Silcone Synapse because: extra words added

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Brotherman

Plate tectonics may not be unique to earth. There are moon on gas giants that reshape their crusts much more frequently than earth, through vulcanism and possible plate tectonics. Even Mars has shown signs of fairly recent plate movement.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Silcone Synapse

I was talking about the water under the surface and its relationship to plate techtonics from what I understand no other known planet in our solar system has plate techtonics.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

Oh ok I wasn't aware other planets had Plate Techtonics as a fact, I was just curious about how all this water may effect geology and the way we understood it till now if any impact on those theories.

Thanks for clarification to you and Silicone Synapse

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 12:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Brotherman
a reply to: Silcone Synapse

I was talking about the water under the surface and its relationship to plate techtonics from what I understand no other known planet in our solar system has plate techtonics.

Well,I am not sure if plate tectonics have to be involved for there to be earthquakes,but there is certainly evidence that earthquakes have happened on the moon,and on Mars.
I have actually taken a pic of one on the moon-a thin ridge which looks like a hair on the lens!
I will see if I can dig out the pic.

If water is a prerequisite for earthquakes,then maybe there is water inside our moon as well?

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 12:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tardacus
It would be interesting to see what`s living in that water,maybe some microbes that hold the cure for cancer.

im pretty sure physer and other big pharma have a cure for cancer, but what money they going to make treating everyone? ,same with every medication its all one huge scam run by greedy evil f****rs

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   
This water acts as a moat to protect the inhabitants of the hollow earth.

All hail the Mole People!

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Eunuchorn

Great, now I have to watch "Saul of the Mole Men" again.

Thanks.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join