It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

As Ruble Falls, Russia Brags "War Readiness" With Secret Weapons

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 08:26 AM
link   
au.ibtimes.com...
RUSSIA TOUTS SECRET WEAPONS: MISSILE TRAINS AND SUB-LAUNCHED SLEEPER-ROBOTS AS "GHOST SUBS"
"Relying on train-mounted nuclear missiles is a viable option for the Kremlin if it engages in a shooting war with America, according to Lieutenant General Sergei Karakayev, adding that such platform "proved their effectiveness in the Soviet period".

"Karakayev said that Russia's nuclear deployment strategy actually involves three platforms - the nuclear-bearing trains, it truck counterparts and the conventional underground silos... The Kremlin values truck and train missile launchers for their mobility and stealth features that buy more time to deliver their package before detection by the enemy. The missile trains, however, provide more punch as they can cover more grounds in shorter time.

"The flagship of the Yasen-class submarines, the K-329 Severodvinsk, will be equipped with robots that on release will remain silent and get activated from the sub's command centre. "It will give the submarine time to leave the area, with the drone staying in place to maintain a semblance that the submarine is still there," the report said, somehow giving the Russians the capability to deploy ghost submarines."

www.themoscowtimes.com...
RUSSIAN NUCLEAR MISSILE TRAINS TO REAPPEAR
"The Soviets first deployed missile trains in 1987, and by the fall of communism four years later, 56 missiles criss-crossed the country by train. But years of underfunding for the military meant that by 2005 all had been decommissioned.

"The trains' revival comes as Moscow pursues a huge rearmament program that will see Russia's entire arsenal of missiles upgraded by the end of the decade. Karakayev said last year that Russia was being forced to consider reintroducing missile trains by the U.S. Prompt Global Strike program, which is developing hypersonic missiles capable of fast, high precision strikes anywhere on the globe.

"A key part of nuclear war planning is nuclear forces' ability to survive an opponent's first strike. Missile trains would increase the survivability of Russia's nuclear arsenal by complicating enemy efforts to locate its missiles by moving them quickly and constantly around the country.

rt.com...
ROBOTS AND DRONES TO BOOST RUSSIA'S 5TH GEN NUCLEAR SUB'S ARSENAL
“We’re talking about battle robots which can be released by the submarine, and a type of underwater drone,” he explained. According to the designer, the robots would be disposable or returnable of military, surveillance or communications purpose.

“They’ll be released by the submarine and stay offline before being remotely activated on command. It will give the submarine time to leave the area, with the drone staying in place to maintain a semblance that the submarine is still there,” he said.

"Severodvinsk is the flagship of the Yasen-class submarines, which will become the backbone of the Russian Navy’s conventional submarine force. In addition to 533mm torpedoes, Yasen-class submarines can fire cruise missiles from its eight vertical launching systems. They can also carry Onyx and Kalibr supersonic anti-ship missiles.

"The subs have a submerged displacement of 13,800 tons and can travel up to 30 knots (56 kmh) under water. The crew totals some 64 sailors, including 32 officers, proof of the highly-automated level of its functions."

(NOTE: I'm certainly no weapons expert, but Russia's "retro secret weapons" sound like something the U.S. could figure out how to counter in very short order. And rumbling nuclear weapons around on a train sound like a disaster-waiting-to-happen, in terms of "accidental domestic detonation." Not to mention an easily-located target for armed drones, since satellite surveillance could quickly find these trains, which would be going in a set direction on set tracks and couldn't quickly change direction.)

Should we be worried? Or not?
edit on 18-12-2014 by MKMoniker because: content

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I think to not be worried would be foolish and over confident of the capabilities of the United States. I do however place much more trust and confidence in the leadership in the US armed forces who have served their entire life and bleed red, white and blue as opposed to politicians who can't see past the next election cycle.

I have worked with Russian software developers in the past, and they were all very intelligent, creative and resourceful. I see no reason to believe that they don't have the best minds in the country working on weaponry, both offensive and defensive. The issue will be what will Russia do when the current sanctions and artificial manipulation of oil prices hit a crucial tipping point in their economy (if it hasn't already).
edit on 18-12-2014 by peter_kandra because: fat finger typos

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 08:37 AM
link   
It kind of defeats the whole "secret" aspect of your superweapons if you brag about them.

Meanwhile, the US likely has "superweapon" hardware that won't be de-classified for decades, or god forbid, that they're actually used.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 08:41 AM
link   
a reply to: MKMoniker

Trains and trucks have a huge advantage in that they move. That means taking time to find them before being able to target them.

During Desert Storm there were units that roamed Iraq doing nothing but look for mobile Scud launchers. They were usually found when they launched, and were gone by the time an airstrike arrived.

Trains are more predictable because they have to stay on tracks, but they're still a pain to find and hit.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 08:48 AM
link   
a reply to: peter_kandra

Thanks for your comment.

"I think to not be worried would be foolish and over confident of the capabilities of the United States."

Very well put. And despite our reliance on increasingly hi-tech electronic weaponry systems, Pentagon Generals have long complained that relying totally on satellites and GPS could doom even the most sophisticated combat system. Which might hint at Russia's REAL Secret Weapon:

www.dailymail.co.uk... it.html
HAS RUSSIA LAUNCHED A SECRET SATELLITE-KILLER?

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 08:55 AM
link   
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

"Meanwhile, the US likely has "superweapon" hardware that won't be de-classified for decades, or god forbid, that they're actually used."

There are super-secret underground programs to retro-engineer captured ET-craft. And one highly controversial program brags that the "flying, anti-grav triangles" are really ours - the TR-3B. I think that these "alien tech" programs take a long time to perfect, however, since these craft were developed on different worlds with different gravity, atomic elements, environment, atmosphere, etc.

www.amazon.com...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1418914441&sr=1-1&keywords=day+after+roswell+corso
DAY AFTER ROSWELL
Somewhat dated, but still the best account of the difficulty retro-engineering an ET craft, from the First Hand Account of the top military intelligence officer involved.
edit on 18-12-2014 by MKMoniker because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 09:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Thanks for your comment.

"Trains are more predictable because they have to stay on tracks, but they're still a pain to find and hit."

I still think shifting ready-to-launch nuclear weapons around by train is clunky and unsafe. And if our satellite surveillance military agencies are on the ball, they've already mapped all of Russia's train tracks, as well as all the nukes' manufacturing and storage facilities.

Although I don't know if they have surveillance-software good enough yet, to Flag a train that goes into a mountain or underwater tunnel - and doesn't emerge.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 09:10 AM
link   

The trouble is, even though Nuclear Weapons are incredibly destructive, most weapons are of the 1 MT yield and below. The effective destructive airburst radius radius of a 1 MT warhead is roughly 5 miles. Beyond that people will still receive 3rd degree burns, clothing will catch fire and wood might burn, but rail tracks would be relatively safe.

If the target is moving, it becomes harder to hit. One strategy could be to strike known junction points and high-traffic tracks to keep movement to a minimum, but that means spending weapons where they might not be effective. It's a brilliant strategy to have mobile warhead launchers.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Here is a recent analysis of Russia's military might:

www.heritage.org...
A U.S. RESPONSE TO RUSSIA'S MILITARY MODERNIZATION
"The Putin military modernization will allow Russia to increase power relative to its former Soviet and NATO neighbors and expand influence along its periphery: in the former Soviet republics, in Central and Eastern Europe, and in the Middle East.

"The military modernization program conclusively demonstrates that in the next decades Russia will seek not only regional presence, influence, and dominance, but also a greater say in the global affairs. Russia’s geostrategic and military goals indicate a desire to expand its great power status in the coming decades: in Europe, in the Arctic, in the Asia–Pacific, in Central Asia, and in the Middle East."

(NOTE: I think Russia's REAL secret-weapons are space-based, however, like the recent satellite launch I linked to above. also, I found a document in DIA's "Foia Reading Room" to indicate that Russia actually got to the Moon before we did with our Apollo program. Just because "threateningly arranged" ET-craft scared the U.S. off the Moon and ended the Apollo program, who's to say the Russians aren't still there - and now allied with those ETs?)

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 09:29 AM
link   

It kind of defeats the whole "secret" aspect of your superweapons if you brag about them.

Well you have to brag if you want to sell such weapons abroad like the USA does a lot of so I don't think Russia would leak much about it more advanced super weapons but i will tell you about one.

Cost ?

Russia builds tanks for a tenth of what it costs US tax payers to build a tank even if they are not quite as good

The F-35 costs far to much and the USA has to force its freinds behind closed doors to cough up for these fighters and for all we know Russia has a missile that costs $250,000 each that can bring these babies down

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 09:35 AM
link   

"It's a brilliant strategy to have mobile warhead launchers."

I'm not so sure. I could see using trucks, which have more maneuverability than being tied to train-tracks. But launchable-nukes on a train are sitting ducks.

But Russia isn't leaking their space-war platforms, so all we can analyze is their global-expansion plans, with both carrot and stick features. (The "carrot" feature being economic/financial, to curry friendships to lean on in a crisis, when they need supplies or territory for military bases.)

But the U.S. strategy is not so much land based, or even space-based, as atmosphere-based. The Air Force is working on super-secret atmo "space-planes" that are aiming to be at any hotspot in the world in a hour, either to deliver weapons or troops.

If a space-plane launches without a target, our satellite surveillance military agencies could theoretically have that target located by the end of the space-plane's travel time. And with just a general train track as a target, lowering to follow a train track - and traveling multiple times faster than any train - the space-plane could quickly find a nuke-launcher train. Or, as you said, bombing the tracks or junctions without touching a launcher-train, could be a quick and useful deterrent.

The U.S. direction toward space-planes is just a continuation of our current burgeoning of Spec Ops forces, as well as their general theme: Send in a tiny, super-trained force to destroy a problem before it grows into a global conflagration.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 09:38 AM
link   

ET-craft scared the U.S. off the Moon and ended the Apollo program, who's to say the Russians aren't still there - and now allied with those ETs?)

Something sure stopped them from returning to the moon and you would need to be a bit simple to buy the BS about we learned all we needed to know like 40 years ago about the moon.

Relying on GPS if things went hot would not be a good plan because they would soon be taken out

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Never underestimate the determination or sincerity of an adversary that is cornered.

The US opened up full blown economic warfare on Japan in the years before 1941.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 10:46 AM
link   

The biggest concern are the mobile missile launchers. Those semi sized trucks are impossible to track as they can easily be hidden almost anywhere. Russia has many, many of them. It's why military planners got so upset when they saw the Chinese version of that mobile launcher appear in N. Korea. They can move it around at will and hide it anywhere.

The rest of it isn't really a big concern. They don't need killer satellites as they have missiles that take out satellites anyway. Subs are always finding new ways of losing their trackers so a drone that helps do it is just another method in a long history of the sub game.

An issue you didn't mention that is a big concern is the size of Russia's tactical nukes. They have a huge number of this babies and they alter conventional battlefield strategy significantly. If there is a nuclear exchange and large population centers are wiped out, Russian forces that survive have a huge tactical advantage on the battlefield. Military planners have to think through these types of scenarios and how to win a war after a nuclear exchange.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Even with trains you have to allocate a lot of assets to interdict the rails. You know where the train HAS to go, but a country the size of Russia has a LOT of rail to interdict.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Putin reminding me more and more of Hitler. Promises to return former glory days while silencing opponents. Swears peace, moves in, blames victim, grabs territory, promotes subterfuge, threatens neighborhood, and boasts of really cool awesome weapons on their way.
Not as bad as Hitler, I of course admit. Sort of a wannebe?

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 11:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Trains and trucks have a huge advantage in that they move. That means taking time to find them before being able to target them.

During Desert Storm there were units that roamed Iraq doing nothing but look for mobile Scud launchers. They were usually found when they launched, and were gone by the time an airstrike arrived.

Trains are more predictable because they have to stay on tracks, but they're still a pain to find and hit.

Trains move, however the tracks don't......I don't see a problem in pinning these trains down really......
The difficulty faced with the scud launchers is different.......however how big is the truck that hauls an ICBM?
Europe should worry but the North American continent may be fairly safe from truck mounted efforts......IMHO
But youd have a better idea about that probly....what say you?

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Bragging is typical among dictators and foreign countries that don't have the resources to backup the claims.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   
a reply to: stirling

Rail is easier to damage, but there are probably hundreds of thousands of square miles of rail in Russia. That's going to be extremely difficult to completely interdict.

Trucks, be they for a Scud or an ICBM will be almost impossible to find and stop. You're talking an object 100 some odd feet long in an area millions of square miles.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: MKMoniker

"Meanwhile, the US likely has "superweapon" hardware that won't be de-classified for decades, or god forbid, that they're actually used."

There are super-secret underground programs to retro-engineer captured ET-craft. And one highly controversial program brags that the "flying, anti-grav triangles" are really ours - the TR-3B. I think that these "alien tech" programs take a long time to perfect, however, since these craft were developed on different worlds with different gravity, atomic elements, environment, atmosphere, etc.

www.amazon.com...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1418914441&sr=1-1&keywords=day+after+roswell+corso
DAY AFTER ROSWELL
Somewhat dated, but still the best account of the difficulty retro-engineering an ET craft, from the First Hand Account of the top military intelligence officer involved.

Le me be absolutely clear....ahem.

THERE ARE NO TR_3B IN EXISTENCE EXCEPT AS MISLEADING PROPAGANDA!!

Sheesh. Im as sick as others hearing about that false designation.(hey SO still waiting on that auto word correcter to replace TR-3B with black triangles)

They are NOT ANTI GRAV either. They are lighter than air due to some trick to reduce the effect of gravity on it though. Mostly they are made of Graphene with some other material.(but graphene wasnt invented till recently..) Yeah believe that if you want to. Its been around longer i can assure you. remember mil tech is almost always 50-100 yrs more advanced than civie tech.

Currently though Black Tris are way to exspensive to produce in mass quantities and as such will remain black until they are able to be mass produced. Id estimate the number of them to be 10-20 of them from sightings.

I hope im not being too gruff about this to ya.( educated opinion/assesament above. i dont have solid proof so no need to go there lol)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join