It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Organic Matter Found On Mars...

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 12:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: prevenge
C'mon. It's the Intellengistia's drip- drop ing the public with predictive programming for what's on the big picture agenda... the story to be told... perception is reality.

.... so, what's on the menu for TODAY Sir? 😜

a reply to: intrptr

More funds for Martian probes, Moon probes, Anal probes…

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Not sure if the subject is a troll, or just stupidity, but obviously there has never been organic matter found on mars, or anywhere other than Earth.

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 06:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Subterranean13

I think you are confusing two different definitions of the word together.

There is the term organic, which is used to describe a certain method of growing and caring for plants and animals, and indeed their by products, like milk for example. But the word organic also describes ANY compound with a carbon backbone. All organisms that we know of, are made up of these organic compounds, but there are many things which are made of organic compounds which DO NOT comprise a life form.

The only people expressing a lack of insight here, are those who expect that every time the word organic is used, it refers to some kind of life form, or a by product or remnant of one.

This discovery however, is very important for science. It might not be as sensational as those who fail to understand basic ideas like the correct way to read the word organic in the relevant context might expect, but is none the less a big deal, and teaches us much that will aid us in efforts to explore, and perhaps one day colonise the Red Planet.

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 06:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: kelbtalfenek
a reply to: EndOfDays77

Certainly a step in the right direction. But there are steps between "organic matter" and "life," which is what I'm secretly hoping that they will find on Mars.
Yes, I'd say the biggest step is actually having OChems then the subsequent steps are a bit smaller ;p

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 06:59 PM
link   
I was a UFO believer at one time, but actually I don't think it means anyting. Nobody is gearing up for "disclosure". NASA is a science organization and they move slowly by necessity. They don't say anything without the evidence to support it. UFOs are not even in the discussion, let alone intelligent life, unless its coming from a SETI forum. Bacterial life, however, have been in the discussion at times. If you examine hte past 20-30+ years you see a long string of results coming from NASA, all suggestive of potential past or present bacterial life on Mars or elsewhere, but far from strongly suggestive. What's happening now seems to me like a natural occurrence. Finding organic matter in samples taken by Curiosity is NOT evidence of life, it's only a step in a long series of steps to figuring out the past and present conditions on Mars which may or may not be favorable to life on Mars.

I've read some things which greatly diminish the chance of presnet life on Mars and evne some which diminishes the odds of past life. However, it does seem the odds of past life is much more robust.

My reason for posting is just to say this is not leading uyp to disclosure, it's just part of a long journey which spans many decades.
edit on 25-12-2014 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 01:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Subterranean13
Not sure if the subject is a troll, or just stupidity, but obviously there has never been organic matter found on mars, or anywhere other than Earth.

Well.. that basically is not true. We have definitively found organic material in Meteorites.

Source: Journal of Cosmology

In addition:

In the case of Tissint, collected soon after it fell,analysis of carbon isotopes in the meteorite match that of coal on Earth. In the case of Murchison, collected quickly after it fell in 1969, it is a stew of amino acids...

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 08:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

I think you are confusing two different definitions of the word together.

There is the term organic, which is used to describe a certain method of growing and caring for plants and animals, and indeed their by products, like milk for example. But the word organic also describes ANY compound with a carbon backbone. All organisms that we know of, are made up of these organic compounds, but there are many things which are made of organic compounds which DO NOT comprise a life form.

The only people expressing a lack of insight here, are those who expect that every time the word organic is used, it refers to some kind of life form, or a by product or remnant of one.

This discovery however, is very important for science. It might not be as sensational as those who fail to understand basic ideas like the correct way to read the word organic in the relevant context might expect, but is none the less a big deal, and teaches us much that will aid us in efforts to explore, and perhaps one day colonise the Red Planet.

Great post True Brit thanks!

Yes not much more to add to that really,you have summed it up quite well enough,as I said,all these discoveries of late certainly seem to be edging towards a climax of sorts..who knows where this is leading..although I have my contentions.

Happy Holidays to you!

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 08:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Emeraldous

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 09:03 AM
link   
a reply to: jonnywhite

Ok disagree with you straight off the bat..i understand if your journey has lead you to that conclusion,but keep searching the grand truth is far greater than you could comprehend.

I have been followed by UFOs most of my life,it has become quite normal now and has lost it's initial novelty,saying that many have been the most profound XPs of my life.

After years of looking into this I am left in no doubt that the Anunnaki have been in control on Earth since before Humans were on the scene and what we see in the world today are two factions of these individuals vying for control,and the elites and royalty are bloodline descendents,although many 'normal' people are too,just a lesser percentage of purity perhaps.

The Annuna are the ones who had civilisations on Mars and,well most bodies in the SS from comets to Moons,this is where disclosure will shed it's light,the thing is caution must be aired, as to me, most of the UFO phenomena is not ETs,as is commonly accepted it seems,but indeed Annuna 'Watcher' craft,so in essence they will be revealing themselves,but I feel deception will be used.That isn't to say there aren't good 'ETs',but going by the evidence that is where I am lead to.

Not sure if you understood where I am coming from? but the fact is these organisations know the truth and always have and there sole purpose is not to enlighten humanity,but purposely distort/suppress the truth..so what I am saying,is that they are creeping toward an admission, that things are not what has been taught...An important point to make, is that,when we get to the point in time when we accept that there was a civilisation once thriving on Mars,people will ask how it ended..and that will open a huge can of worms..such as the true nature and origins of the Moon..our Planet..the asteroid belt..even the sun...and of coarse the pending passage of Planet X.

I will edit in a link (later as my computer is being crap and i'm also heading out in a min) which I highly recommend,it helped a great deal in clarifying my understanding towards the bigger picture.

Happy Holidays to you,have a good one!

edit on 26-12-2014 by EndOfDays77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 01:13 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 03:10 PM
link   

lol thx, its crazy like that that makes trawling the comments worth it.

Nice one, cheers dude.

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 07:10 PM
link   

I think it is important not to get ones hopes up too high, where the possibility of more suggestive and, dare I say it, far out discoveries to come are concerned.

First of all, the fact that data is coming out at a pace at the moment, does not necessarily mean that there is going to be any kind of big reveal in the offing. All it means so far, is that those whose job it is to analyse data from the mission have enough to work with, and are getting through it bit by bit. What is most certainly not happening, is that a conclusion has already been reached by the scientists and technicians, and that we will find out what that conclusion is at a time when it is politically convenient that we should have access to that information.

For example, let us consider a crime scene. Having no previous idea of what has occurred in a location, a team of forensic scientists have to make careful measurements of the room, take a great many pictures of anything that seems like it could have a meaning for the case at hand, take samples of everything from blood and tissue remains, to carpet fibre and recently transferred stains, to any bit of hair or trace evidence that they can lay hands on.

It is only when these individual slices of data are finally analysed and their meanings understood, that they can be added as whole and complete bits of data, to the expanding narrative of the crime committed, and only at that point can anyone have any idea what happened, who did it, how it was done, when it was done and so on.

Similarly, it will only be when the vast, and I mean GARGANTUAN task of analysing all the data collected from Mars has been completed, that any individual nugget of that data will be of any use for building a complete picture of what is going on with the Red Planet.

Now, me personally, I am eager to hear whatever NASA have to say on the subject, whenever they are prepared to say it, and furthermore I will not be disappointed by ANY result, including that their current level of experimentation and exploration has thus far yielded no evidence of life of any kind on Mars, now, or in the past. The reason I say this is simple.

We can only know for sure, when every single nook and cranny, every single crater, canyon, and underground cavern has been examined up close, by people rather than machines, what might have been or may be there to see. As it has been with our own planet, a great deal of which is still unexplored (and here I refer to the oceans of course, which comprise a great chunk of the Earths surface, and are yet vastly under explored) only getting to grips up close and personal with the Red Planet, is likely to garner us with the level of detail that is required to be certain of anything with regard to the possibility of life having existed there at any point.

There are some things which a rover simply cannot do after all, things which only populating the Red Planet, and giving frontiersmen and women the opportunity to explore it for themselves will ever achieve.

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 09:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

I think it is important not to get ones hopes up too high, where the possibility of more suggestive and, dare I say it, far out discoveries to come are concerned.

First of all, the fact that data is coming out at a pace at the moment, does not necessarily mean that there is going to be any kind of big reveal in the offing. All it means so far, is that those whose job it is to analyse data from the mission have enough to work with, and are getting through it bit by bit. What is most certainly not happening, is that a conclusion has already been reached by the scientists and technicians, and that we will find out what that conclusion is at a time when it is politically convenient that we should have access to that information.

Two excellent posts Truebrit. I starred each.

Another thing people who aren't really aware of or don't pay attention to the calendar of various scientific conferences is that often a lot of information is shared at them and papers which are embargoed are published during or soon after the conference

These papers then lead popular science writers at various publications to write stories summing them up (and often dumbing them down) in a way that the average person in the street can understand.

So there is often a flurry of stories which seems to those "disclosure" types to represent some sort of organized release of information leading up to a conclusion they already have rushed to regardless of supportive evidence.

I fully expect another such flurry around January 4-8 surrounding the 225th American Astronomical Society (AAS) meeting here in Seattle (which I'm attending).

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 07:03 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Don't worry, I have no confusion at all. 'Organic matter' has to have come FROM life, hence it has never been found anywhere other than Earth. Perhaps you're confused by the definitions? A simple search for them on the internet will help you.
edit on 27-12-2014 by Subterranean13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Don't worry, I have no confusion at all. 'Organic matter' has to have come FROM life, hence it has never been found anywhere other than Earth.

I guess you missed this news story, then:
www.foxnews.com...

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

Ah, you seem to not understand the difference between organic matter and organic molecules/compounds. Could I recommend a quick Google search to help stop you bumbling along quite so much?

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 02:30 AM
link   

a reply to: Blue Shift

Ah, you seem to not understand the difference between organic matter and organic molecules/compounds. Could I recommend a quick Google search to help stop you bumbling along quite so much?

Indeed, oops, article authors need to be more diligent in their phrasing. Organic matter

But if we don't get too hung up on semantics, "matter" and "molecules" can be used interchangeably. www.nasa.gov...
edit on 28-12-2014 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 02:49 AM
link   

I do not need help here.

However, you might find this wiki interesting. Look at the section headed "Vitalism".
en.m.wikipedia.org...
An experiment from more than a hundred years ago, proves that organic compounds can come about without the involvement of any lifeform what so ever.
edit on 28-12-2014 by TrueBrit because: Added link

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 05:50 AM
link   

You really are confused. This thread is about organic matter, not organic compounds.

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 07:12 AM
link   

You really are confused. This thread is about organic matter, not organic compounds.

Compounds are matter. Molecules are matter. Even individual atoms are matter (although "organic" refers specifically to molecules rather than atoms).

Stop confusing the matter (badum-tish!) for everyone.

By all appearances, it is you who are trolling.
edit on 28-12-2014 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join