It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A whole heap of moral questions to be considered in this unusual news article.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 06:58 AM
link   
I read this article and was almost stunned by the complex questions it raised for me.

"A husband has been banned from having sex with his wife by a High Court judge because she does not know she can refuse his advances, it was revealed yesterday.

The unidentified Bangladeshi man, who lives in east London, claimed he has the right under his Islamic culture to have sex with the mentally-disabled woman aged 39 whenever he pleases.

He has already taken the wife's cousin as a second ‘wife’ in a polygamous Islamic marriage and had two children with her - although still demands the right to have sex with his first wife."

You have to read the full article to understand the complexity of it all, I don't really know where to begin.

News article

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 07:15 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

Unpopular Opinion:

Guy's a douche and a pervert trying to use (hiding behind) his religion to get away with it. Plus he's in London, not Bangladesh, so he should follow our laws and the judge's rulings.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 07:20 AM
link   

What was it that British Governor or somesuch said about suttee?

What a POS, her elder kids had been taken into care, as has she now. And with a mental age of four to eight.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 07:21 AM
link   
I am not going to agree or disagree with any opinion on this, its safer that way.

The real issue for me here is the lady says she enjoys sex so is the judge taking away her rights by preventing her from having it.

Also from what I understand it is only the husband who is banned?

Very complex and confusing.

a reply to: BelowLowAnnouncement

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Yeah it is a very complicated situation. Too complicated, that's why I posted my initial response upon reading it before my mind clouded over with the IFs and BUTs. Interesting read nontheless, SnF.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 07:49 AM
link   
holy sh!t my moral compass imploded
Sex is an integral part of marriage, if my wife refused i would divorce or have an open marriage.
but why would you marry a mentally disabled person in the first place? no offense but you need a person that is "there" ...i'm dying of a heart attack and she's there cutting out people from magazines and dipping them in nutella jars laughing hysterically.
She has a mental age of a 8 year old at best, what kind of perversion does the guy have? who allowed the marriage? why did her parents accept? why did he even ask? why also marry the cousin and not leave on for the other? if she was good enough to get married she should also be good enough to understand the concept of intimacy, but if she cannot even understand consent...does that mean he raped her all this time?
aaaaaaaaargggghhhh!!!
Fu#k this mess i'm gonna drink a bottle of wine

edit on 18/12/2014 by IShotMyLastMuse because: I flagged and starred this mainly because i want as many people to be conflicted and confused to no end just like i am

edit on 18/12/2014 by IShotMyLastMuse because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 07:54 AM
link   
I'm glad it is just not me that struggled to get my head around the whole thing.

As you say she has the mental age of a child but the body of a woman so I have no idea about how you deal with the whole consent thing, Is she legally an adult or a child? She must be an adult becuase she is married with children???

Pour me a large glass I think I need it.

a reply to: IShotMyLastMuse

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 08:03 AM
link   

This is one story you really don't "need input" on.
i guess she is legally a child? since they are basing this around her inability to understand consent, but i guess it's not pedophilia because she looks like a grown woman capable of having children, but this means he raped her, but it was a "legal" rape since they are married?
whatever man i got a bottle of czech wine called hibernal, hand me your glass. Let good old Bacchus take care of it.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 08:08 AM
link   

? who allowed the marriage? why did her parents accept? why did he even ask? why also marry the cousin and not leave on for the other? if she was good enough to get married she should also be good enough to understand the concept of intimacy, but if she cannot even understand consent...does that mean he raped her all this time?

Her parents probably thought it was a good idea so someone else would have to take care of her.
To have someone to keep an eye on her, help with house work and someone to talk to that can hold an adult conversation.
Yes. An 8 year old can't understand that kind of intimacy. It's likely she enjoys the attention and thinks of it the same as being hugged and tickled.
Perverted P...O...S.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 08:12 AM
link   
The thing I do not understand with the whole mental age thing is that you can not think of her as an 8 year old.

She has the body of an adult and 39 years of experience and memory.

I am in no way saying it is not wrong but it's hellishly complicated imo.

a reply to: DAVID64

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 08:16 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

they just wanted someone else to take over because they were fed up? or are they old and need someone to take care of her after they die, those 2 questions alone just create another heap of moral dilemmas.
The husband can't be that right in the head, did they know this? was it some kind of sacrifice they were willing to make so the daughter would be take care of?
But yeah i agree on the POS part, something is not right about that dude.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Unless of course the husband has mental health issues himself.

Which would confuse matters even more.

and we havent even discussed the whole married to her cousin business.

Sheesh.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 08:28 AM
link   

and we havent even discussed the whole married to her cousin business.

considering what the big picture looks like, that's the most normal part of this story

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 08:37 AM
link   

It makes me wonder what exactly is a man doing having a family with a woman whose mental age is what 8? Surely he must have known she could not have looked after his children. In fact I think he should be made to pay for these children's upkeep in this country as well as the two he has with his mistress/second wife

Why should a man whose come here from abroad expect the tax payers here to support his sexual appetite. Also I wonder who paid his legal fees, I hope he did as my taxes should be spent on things far better than his urges. It also begs the question how did he get into this country with this sort of family set up?

I don't see any issue with the judge telling this man his wife has been taken from him into care. Were a mentally challenged person put into the position of being forced to have children then they would automatically be taken into care, why should this man' think his circumstances be different? He knew sharia and whatever else he's been allowed to get away with would not be acceptable in the UK or that tax payers would be prepared to fund his sexual appetite. Why should we when we take care to have the number of children we can financially afford to bring up?

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 11:03 AM
link   
If you have no idea of just how many mentally retarded people get raped or attacked sexually then you don't anywhere near understand that this is not a Sharia problem or Islamic perversion....it is all too human ......
Its done all the time by many different perverts of many ciltures.....
Humans are hard wired for this kind of perverted activity it would seem.......
Regarding this case....the judge erred in his ruling...should have had the pervert castrated instead.
Many cultures provide cash incentives to marry off their daughters.....called a dowry.....

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   
This is a hard one to respond to for me. I have a bit of bias against Islamists to begin with. So I guess my thing would be too call him out on his 2 wives.

If he is really married to 2 wowen, which the link states as illegal in London, couldn't he be arrested for polygamy?
or does the city/state defer to Islamic law?

I know it is not illegal to have a wife and girlfriends but he claims to be married to both.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I understand your opinion but with all of the complex issues in this story is Islamic law really one of them.

It is rare for me to find an issue where that particular issue falls so behind others.

a reply to: tinner07

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Having sex with someone who cannot consent is rape. This includes children, mentally disabled, and elderly(who have dementia etc.)

Do the laws in the U.K. not consider forcing sex upon the mentally disabled rape? Why is he not in jail?

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 05:35 PM
link   
As I said I will not comment personally on this but how can it be accepatable for someone to be married and have three children and then decide it is unacceptable to have sexual intercourse.

How could this get to the point it is?
a reply to: OrphanApology

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Not understanding your question. But if someone in a marriage no longer wants to have sex, they don't have to. No one at any point is required to have sex with someone if they do not want to have sex. Marriage contract or no marriage contract.

Is that what you were alluding to or did I misunderstand the post?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join