It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This is Why North Korea Should Not be Underestimated

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 11:32 AM
link   
wall street capitalists funded the bolshevik revolution

wall street capitalists funded the nazis

what do these groups have in common? a handful of people who own everything, doling out tiny bits to everyone else, keeping them in survival mode so they can be manipulated and controlled better.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I think we overestimate ourselves. Always remember and never forget: Our first ebola case in Texas. That was after weeks of the government talking about how fabulous we are, and so ready to handy any ebola that came our way.

Maybe it didn't take long to pull our act together, so we'll see how this goes.

It ain't over til it's over, as they say.

Of course, more 'sanctions' against NK are already being discussed, and it's getting tiresome. We can't wreck an economy that's already wrecked. It will only be making starving impoverished people, have even less.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 11:51 AM
link   
If N. Korea launches a nuke, I'd be more worried that it'll go up and right back down onto its own launch pad -- creating a nuclear mess the rest of the world will have to clean up.

We've been keeping N. Korea's "boogyman" status in our back pocket for when we need it. If there comes a time when the people don't buy the ISIS stuff or whatever trumped up threat-of-the-day, N. Korea will get rolled out as the next big global threat.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 12:21 PM
link   
The media is giving North Korea way to much credit. It's a lot closer to home so to speak when, who have thought, people collaborating on, etc, conspiracy sites are being attacked.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 12:22 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

Right on time....

Sky News Newsdesk ‏@SkyNewsBreak 4m4 minutes ago
White House is treating #Sony hack as "serious national security matter" & National Security Council is considering proportionate response

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Seek_Truth
a reply to: MystikMushroom

Right on time....

Sky News Newsdesk ‏@SkyNewsBreak 4m4 minutes ago
White House is treating #Sony hack as "serious national security matter" & National Security Council is considering proportionate response

Right in time for: Intelligence Authorization Act for 2015 (H.R. 4681)---see also Executive Order 12333--- to be signed by Obama.

Amash tried to rally other representatives to vote no, alerting them to “a troubling new provision that for the first time statutorily authorizes spying on U.S. citizens without legal process.” The bill included a new Section 309 that “authorizes ‘the acquisition, retention, and dissemination’ of nonpublic communications, including those to and from U.S. persons.”

Source

edit on 18-12-2014 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 12:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: VirusGuard
Plot all the US military bases aross the globe and its looks like a cancer on the world and is all controlled by Zionist bankers

Oh sweet Christ, this again... :rolleyes:

Honestly, I find it hard to take anyone who feels threatened and attacked by a motion picture seriously. This shtick has already been played out, North Korea... The Islamofascists were (allegedly) worked into a tizzy over The Innocence of Muslims film a couple of years back. Don't plagarize, come up with some new reason to throw a tantrum, please. Don't make us bring out the "nanny, nanny, boo-boo" guns.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
If N. Korea launches a nuke, I'd be more worried that it'll go up and right back down onto its own launch pad -- creating a nuclear mess the rest of the world will have to clean up.

If that were to happen, the world would only need to purchase and construct approximately 900 miles of leaded concrete wall. Problem solved on multiple fronts.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: MarioOnTheFly

The tech alone gives the US too much advantage for anyone to take on.

How do you come to that conclusion?

Where do you get your information on North Korea's military capabilities?

If you give me a Western or South Korean source, I'll find it quite amusing.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 03:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: daaskapital
North Korea is commonly underestimated and perceived by many to be a nation-state incapable of dealing damage to our way of life. It is commonly perceived to be a state riddled with poverty, that its economic troubles give way to weaponry so inferior that our armies would march over theirs in an afternoon.

This line of thinking is futile.

North Korea has been found responsible for the Sony hacks. The media has reported that it was 'centrally involved' in bringing Sony Pictures to its knees, all the while threatening terrorist attacks on American land. As i think is obvious, it is apparent that North Korea is more capable than what many give it credit for. These recent cyber attacks should only bolster this claim.

One may argue that North Korea's military capability may be inferior, but the fact is that the military is a central pillar of North Korean society. Much of the state's resources are invested into its longevity and effectiveness. Is it not unreasonable to believe that they may have greater weaponry than what they are letting on? They obviously have effective cyber warfare capabilities. Indeed, many analysts are speculating that North Korea's recent attacks on Sony may herald a new shift in warfare. One that moves beyond attacking websites and stealing intelligence. One that moves beyond the physical realm. One that directly cripples organisations and governmental branches through use of technology.

You may think North Korea is a negligible power riddled with poverty. But there is no denying that its military capabilities, cyber and otherwise, are not to be underestimated. In fact, our states should be concerned just how effective North Korea's military may be. They are a secluded country with a huge military structure. We may find ourselves in a troublesome position if we are to continue underestimating the North Koreans.

You may laugh that attacking a movie studio is nothing compared to other realms of warfare, but today it is private organisations and movies, and tomorrow it will be governments and societal structures.

As Newt Gingrich pointed out: "America has lost its first cyberwar."

Sources:

www.nytimes.com...
www.dailymail.co.uk...
www.businessinsider.com.au...
There's really no proof that this hack was done by NK. It's all assumption. And, if indeed they did do this, I'd like an explanation how they're tied into the net. Where is their access?

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 10:37 PM
link   
No, this is why teenagers with a computer should not be underestimated not just North Korea! This act could have been called into action by most hackers with the resources to pull it off and the scary thing is, most hackers are pimp faced teenagers sitting in their parents living room watching Star Wars or Star Trek.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 10:47 PM
link   
a reply to: sosobad

Pretty sure that Family Guy, Robot Chicken, American Dad, etc... have made light of 9/11. Awhile frowned upon, those shows are still on the air and the writers, directors, animators, etc are still around.

Also, didn't North Korea release as propaganda video awhile back that showed them targeting Washington DC with a nuclear weapon? Isn't that insulting to our nation? I'm pretty sure everyone just laughed about it though.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 11:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
Where do you get your information on North Korea's military capabilities?

If you give me a Western or South Korean source, I'll find it quite amusing.

If you're going to play that card, I just have to ask: What non-Western or South Korean sources are providing you with such details on the military and cyber capabilities of North Korea?

Because I have good feeling your source will be unnamed or otherwise unable to be vetted...

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 11:15 PM
link   
a reply to: cmdrkeenkid

I'm not playing pal, I genuinely wondered if you believe yourself to have a trustworthy source with which to judge DPRK's capabilities.

I just think it's a dangerous game to assume anything in this day & age.
Especially when it's about countries run by people who spend most of their countries wealth on warfare education & military endeavours.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Well...

I can safely conclude that many here would prefer to bask in ignorance and not accept that it is foolish to underestimate one's opponent. Instead, many of you prefer to continue with this line of thought. I don't mind what you all do, but i just think it is a futile way of thinking.

All i was saying was that it is foolish to underestimate one's opponent. That considering North Korea's military is a significant pillar of their society, it would be wise to not base all of our judgements on Western propaganda and what the North publicly displays. People talk about North Korea's postures as weak. That because they get offended easily or talk crap but never follow through with actions, they are not a threat. Well guess what? Their culture is different. They see things differently to us, and frankly, their unpredictability is something we should be cautious about. They can say something and mean it, and we will never know. One day, we may well just laugh at them until we actually get hit.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 11:21 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

If you had read my two previous posts on this thread you'd see I've made no assumptions or comments on the capabilities, military, cyber, our otherwise, for any nation.

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 11:28 PM
link   
a reply to: cmdrkeenkid

& just to clear up this misunderstanding I never said you did assume...

I merely said to assume is a dangerous game in response, to your response, to my response, to someone else's response.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 01:51 AM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

don't you watch Hollywood movies...?

Seriously...I don't get you people...no force on Earth spends that much money on military...and secret projects. I don't have to have numbers ready...it's self evident.

Attacking such nation on it's home soil is asking for sh** storm.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 07:43 AM
link   
North Korea couldn't hack their way out of a wet paper bag. Their CyberWar program consists of a Tandy 1000 that Kim Jong Un uses to play Leisure Suite Larry. (Citation needed)

At best they outsourced it to China.

So, if they DID "do" it they had China do it for them, possibly with inside help to deploy the malicious code.

The execution of this went off VERY smoothly and it was VERY VERY effective on a LARGE scale.

I'm wondering if they (Sony) did something to tick off OUR Dear Leader and this was the NSA/CIA and they planted evidence to make it look like the NKs did it. Shrug.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: MarioOnTheFly

I do watch Hollywood Movies...

I don't take my thoughts on Geo-Politics from it though.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join