It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Curiosity Rover Drills Into Mars Rock, Finds Water

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   
well I suppose after the drill went in , all there was left were organic molecules

unscrambling that soup now is best left to the spectrometer's

I ask all sorts of stupid questions , when the information isn't there* (resort to ops Article) .. no need for the tazer ,

funbox

*or is there

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 03:57 PM
link   
a reply to: wildespace

this current news is about the organics and the measurements of the hydrogen isotope ratios from the said water molecules

Agreed. Water was verified to be present in both the atmosphere and soil several years ago.

The point that I was making was that there were announcements made about the D/H ratios in the water molecules in the sample, the results of their analyses of Curiosity's organic molecule finds, as well as the detection of methane variances over short time periods.

Above, I linked to page where the published papers and conference video are available. Here the actual links to the papers:
Mars Methane Detection and Variability at Gale Crater
The Imprint of Atmospheric Evolution in the D/H or Hesperian Clay Minerals on Mars
The paper that discusses the organic molecule findings has not yet been published. It should be available on this page then.

The actual Yahoo headline: Curiosity Rover Drills Into Mars Rock, Finds Water is inaccurate at best. However, this MSM article is written for an audience that probably doesn't track Mars exploration results like we do here on ATS. So, the teaser headline and the article itself has to be "dumbed-down" somewhat.

I agree that headlines can be misleading, especially news outlets like Yahoo. The actual press releases that I linked to in my earlier post were directly from JPL, so that gives them a bit more veracity than sites like Yahoo.

dex

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 04:01 PM
link   
a reply to: moebius

It is the sample from last year:

Yes, that's correct. However, JPL/NASA waited until this press conference to make the announcement about their findings.

dex

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 06:22 AM
link   
if we continue to produce oil and injected into the bowels of the water we are waiting for the fate of Mars before the water but at the price of gasoline

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: mangust69
if we continue to produce oil and injected into the bowels of the water we are waiting for the fate of Mars before the water but at the price of gasoline

I have absolutely no idea what this means.

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 10:03 AM
link   
nm

edit on 19-12-2014 by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 10:05 AM
link   
I think they're going to say .. It's very complicated but it's fossilised water not really water or what you can call water . So we can't really say that it's some major discovery ..

Because we have to keep u guys in the dark

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 10:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: 0bserver1
I think they're going to say .. It's very complicated but it's fossilised water not really water or what you can call water . So we can't really say that it's some major discovery ..

Because we have to keep u guys in the dark

NASA has already confirmed water-ice under the surface several years ago.

Phoenix Lander confirms water-ice in 2008:
NASA Spacecraft Confirms Martian Water

Plus, NASA's Curiosity rover recently (in 2013) confirmed that there is relatively significant amounts of water locked in Martian soil in general:
Water discovered in Martian soil

"If you take about a cubic foot of dirt with the amount of water that we found and heated it up, you could get a couple of pints of water out of that," said Laurie Leshin, dean of science at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in New York, who led this study. "It was kind of exciting to me to see that, wow, it would be a significant amount."

edit on 12/19/2014 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Just a confirmation of what most of the people interested in our solar system already suspected.

Big news for those who didn't know. Good to hear

posted on Dec, 19 2014 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: ItCameFromOuterSpace
If you really,really look at the porcelain god you will see thousands and thousands of little creatures waving back at you. Just because they're really tiny and you can't see them with the naked eye does not mean there is nothing there.

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Didn't some researches figure out that a meteorite that landed on Earth had came from Mars and had fossilized remnants of microbial life that was NOT from our planet? Or did that end up getting debunked (or am I just going crazy?).

That said, looking at Mars, it's no shock that there's water. There's ice caps, soil erosion patterns charecteristic of water, etc. Hopefully we'll find some single cell organisms LIVING on the surface.

Hell, if they can THRIVE in areas with no oxygen, in the vacuum of space (and facing radiation, extreme temps, etc), tens of thousands of feet below the sea under enormous pressure, deep deep under our planet's crust... yeah... there's bound to be life on Mars.

It might not be the "Hi guys! Glad you found us! How are you?" type of life but life is life!
edit on 12/22/2014 by CharismaticNerd because: simple typo

top topics

<< 1   >>

join