It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sony surrenders to terrorists...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 04:11 PM
link   
variety.com...#

This is a pathetic display by Sony. Hell, it's a pathetic display all the way around. What happened to carrying yourself with swagger and authority? Regardless, that's out the window now and Sony has supplicated itself to this hacker group.

We are deeply saddened at this brazen effort to suppress the distribution of a movie, and in the process do damage to our company, our employees, and the American public. We stand by our filmmakers and their right to free expression and are extremely disappointed by this outcome.

"brazen effort", hell may as well call it what it was: "wildly successfull attempt". ANd that last line reeks of B.S. They did not stand by their filmmakers, they buckled and abandoned the fillmakers, pure and simple. I miss the bygone era of Americans actually possessing testicular fortitude. This nonsense should have been met with a middle finger and a sneer, instead it was met with a whimper and capitulation.

edit on 17-12-2014 by burdman30ott6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 04:20 PM
link   

The comedy centers on a hapless television host who is recruited to assassinate North Korean dictator Kim Jong-Un. The country has condemned the film and some cyber security experts believe that it played a role in the hack attack on the studio.

I don't doubt that for a moment.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Yeah, but who would be held responsible if they went ahead and various theatres were simultaneously attacked?

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I do not like that Sony is pulling this movie. I personally wanted to see it. However, it does not sound like it is really Sony's fault. The article says theater chains were pulling out en masse because of the threatened Christmas day attacks. Movie chains are gonna make more money on family friendly films than on an R rated adult comedy, during the holiday season.

I bet this movie kills on video on demand, redbox, and retail blue-ray because of the controversy surrounding it. Financially speaking, pulling it might be the best move for the under-performing Sony.

edit on 17-12-2014 by karmicecstasy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   
It's a business decision by Sony. To keep theatres from going under, plus all it would take is one more incident at a theatre to make movie-going a thing of the past. Sony wants to keep people going to movies. Unfortunately for the hackers, this whole she-bang has brought huge attention to the movie The Interview and now I'm sure everyone in America and probably the world will want to see this movie. Ironic, huh? Or plannned this way? by someone?
edit on 12 by AreUKiddingMe because: movie title

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Yeah this movie is going to be an epic hit. A cult sensation. Even if it sucks which would suck.

It sucks that they bowed down to the threat.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 04:36 PM
link   
I agree, the "threat" backed Sony into a corner it couldnt swagger its way out of if said attacks took place.

Too many careers, and Sony itself, would burn if even one person was killed on Christmas day over a dumb comedy.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Well, this sucks! www.msn.com...‘the-interview’-on-christmas/ar-BBgVqFY?ocid=mailsignout A real conspiracy that actually worked! I can see how North Korea wouldn't like this any more than we would like such a film about us, but it's going too far when a foreign country is telling us what to show in our theaters! It's good this did not happen when The Grapes of Wrath was released--but at least then orchard owners were merely threatening to prevent production, not blow up theaters showing the film! The Nazis did release rats and snakes in theaters showing All Quiet on the Western Front, but as far as I know did not shoot audience members! Which makes these guys in a way worse than the Nazis, and even worse than some Middle Eastern terrorists, since theaters weren't attacked due to several films supposedly insulting the Prophet Mohammad! I didn't even want to see The Interview but I was totally going to just to show them for being how they are!
edit on 17-12-2014 by CoriSCapnSkip because: Be as polite as I am willing to to North Korea!

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 04:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978
Yeah, but who would be held responsible if they went ahead and various theatres were simultaneously attacked?

The terrorists.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 04:44 PM
link   
I bet the insurance companies had a hand in the suppression.

You know, liabilities and what not.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Imagine how scared they must be though?

Do you honestly believe that Sony wasn't able to, or would not hire the best IT in the world to assist in preventing any sort of future problems?

I'm sure they did and for some reason they are either afraid of further damage, or have lost something they don't want us to know about.

I don't think we've seen the worst of the leaks yet. There's something very interesting buried deep in that data they have I'm sure.

But I agree entirely though. They should have not caved to these folks. It sets a very bad precedent. And if the reports about NK being involved are true, they are most certainly not the isolated place we think they are.

I think the internet is going to be a wildly more interesting place a year from now.

~Tenth

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 04:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: eNumbra

The terrorists.

Yeah, okay.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 04:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
I bet the insurance companies had a hand in the suppression.

You know, liabilities and what not.

Or maybe the advertising companies?

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 04:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: eNumbra

The terrorists.

Yeah, okay.

Sorry, I should clarify, intelligent people will blame the terrorists; and we all know how many of those are left.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 05:00 PM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

So very true. This was a hostage negotiation from the start and the Interview was the ransom payment. Knowing Hollywood, it can't be just financial info either.

My question going forward is who will be the next target and what will be the excuse?

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I wonder what would happen if someone wanted to release a movie about someone assassinating Barack Obama?

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 05:01 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

I wonder if this is because

1. They have something really juicy they don't want to be released?

2. The movie probably sucks so bad that they don't wan't it released and they are using this as a way out?

3. Sony is or helped in orchestrating the hack to promote hype and generate a demand for a crappy movie [Gorilla marketing]?

If its really NK hackers Sony should release the film via torrents so EVERYONE will have a copy and can see it.

Either way this is sad all around!

edit on 031231America/ChicagoWed, 17 Dec 2014 17:03:20 -0600up3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 05:11 PM
link   
What s the film?

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 05:22 PM
link   
a reply to: PhoenixFreeman

No doubt a pile of turd.

2nd.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Ok, see this flick!

I read the script on pastebin and it is a conspiracy theorists wet dream!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join