It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama to Announce Easing in U.S.-Cuba Relations

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun
Very interesting. I wonder if this is an attempt to "Westernize" Cuba.

Maybe they're proactively trying to prevent closer ties to Russia as the collective sabre-rattling intensifies.

That and Fidel is now 89 years old and not active..

Raul, his brother is a capitalist at heart IMO.

Sidenote: Cuban President Raúl Castro says U.S. and Cuba need to deal with each other in 'civilized manner'
latino.foxnews.com...

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Here is an interesting read.

And now, you turn on the TV and see the announcement about the change in American policy in Cuba. Re-establishment of diplomatic relations. Lots of changes in the embargo that will mean plenty more cash for the Castros. A change in the whole American official position vis-à-vis Cuba. In exchange, the Castro brothers have pledged to let 53 political prisoners out, free one American spy, and free the American hostage Alan Gross. As to real changes in the regime—changes in its foreign or domestic policies—none. Zero. Zip. So, you conclude that in the long struggle between the United States and the Castro regime since 1959, the Americans have finally blinked.

In more than a few chanceries the question that will be asked as this year ends is “who is next to find that America is today more interested in propitiating its enemies than in protecting its allies?”

Castro, Cuba, Obama—and Iran

To put the topic in to context.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Thank you for that startling expose from a conservative blog. I never would have been aware of that if it hadn't been pointed out.
US' actions against Cuba has been an international joke for decades.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   
So the Mafia wants to build a Caribbean Las Vegas back in the 50's but ends up losing their collective shirt because of the Cuban revolution. They get pissed and use their influence, money and political pressure to try and force a regime change. After more than 5o years nothing changes so trying a new approach is somehow some big political blunder? The Vatican and the Canadians (amongst others) have pushed for this. Is it because they're evil communists? One of our biggest trading partners and financial backers is the largest communist country in the world. Is it because they let those nasty Soviets set up missiles back in the 60's? We have had ongoing diplomatic and trade relations with those same nasty Soviets this entire time. Could it be we're just pig-headed? Would this go down better it was Mitt Romney or Jeb Bush making the announcement?

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

And I think the current administration is a joke going on near a decade.

The topic is the latest proof in that pudding.

'Restored' relations with Cuba.

They do say birds of a feather flock together.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Fortunately foreign policy isn't dictated by what you think. This has been coming a long time. Like the poster above said, is it because it's Obama that finally took action? Not one of the Rep presidents over these decades?

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
Not one of the Rep presidents over these decades?

There have been a few Democratic Presidents that have upheld this as well and I think it has something to do with it being instituted under Kennedy.

link   
I forgot to ask...

What scandal is Obama trying to hide by doing this?

link   

originally posted by: ladyinwaiting
I'd like to go for a visit. Take some photo's. Eat. Go deep sea fishing. I hope the people won't hate us?

I went last year and the people are extremely friendly, particularly if you can talk baseball or old cars with them. I routinely overfly Cuba and their air traffic controllers speak better English than our Miami Center.

link   

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 01:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Not one of the Rep presidents over these decades?

There have been a few Democratic Presidents that have upheld this as well and I think it has something to do with it being instituted under Kennedy.

I personally don't care who ends this madness.......it seems some others might though.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Another overstepping of a "President" that acts more as King than President - what are his excuses now - Congress didn't allow me to smoke a Cuban Cigar? That is such a significant action that NEEDS to be guided by the american people and not by a elected government! Like the whole health care issue, it's those things that concern the american people the most but this president just gave us the finger and said three times F** you all and merry f** christmas!

.. and worse he opened a whole new can of worms by trading prisoners with a brutal regime!

SHAME ON YOU MR. PRESIDENT! You are a disgrace to this nation!

Armed conflict against this corrupt regime is the only solution at this point! that includes Republicans as well!

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 01:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra
I forgot to ask...

What scandal is Obama trying to hide by doing this?

This is cover for the latest terror attacks in Sydney, and Pakistan.

Making them look like chumps after the torture report release.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 01:14 PM
link   

I personally don't care who ends this madness.......it seems some others might though.

Agreed. I am sure it seemed like the right thing to do and continue to do but it is appearing more and more anachronistic as the world changes.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Some folks don't have the ability to pull their heads out of their arses long enough to let their brains run free for a few minutes.

edit on 12/17/2014 by ladyinwaiting because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Thankfully, diplomacy isn't a staring contest.

Also, this is within the scope of his powers.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Who says Marxism doesn't work?

Castro must have actually read the books

Castro Billion $$$

smooth irony reigns it in.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Boy you'll blame everything on Obama, won't you?

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 01:32 PM
link   
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

Yo read the topic ?

Did or didn't the current administration decide to get in to bed with one of the world' most notorious bloody regimes ?

Yep.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Well, it was a nice thread while it lasted. Bye guys!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join