It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Whats the most unusual thing you ever had to do at work?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 12:22 PM
I could do one for everyday of the week.

I had to give a Father Christmas a fiver today to let a 28 year old man sit on his knee and tell him what he wanted for Christmas.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 12:26 PM
Another unusual one for me was 'cleaning up' and/or shredding documents from UK government department files on individual citizens back in 1993/1994.
Tony Blair's government made a big thing of announcing that citizens would get access to their files for the first time in an attempt to promote openness, but what wasn't said is that every clerical file was manually checked and cleaned first.
I made a thread about it here: Who else shredded govt dept files on UK citizens before the 1994 Access to Information code? but it was pretty much a fail in responses lol.

...I'm not particularly proud of my part in that cover up, but I did make a fortune in 7 days per week excess hours being put up in hotels around the country.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 12:29 PM
Many years ago I was working as a waiter in a nice resteraunt. A family came in with an adult daughter with downs syndrome.

I introduced myself, handed out the menus and asked the daughter if she would like to see the wine list.

She said thankyou but she did not drink but her dad liked to drink beer.

At this point the mother burst into tears and ran out. I was mortified at what I had done.

I followed the lady out and tried to appologise but it turned out the reason she was crying was because I had treated her daughter like an adult and in 15 years she had always been given the childrens menu and some crayons.

Then I cried.

Then everybody composed themselves and a good time was had by all.

a reply to: boymonkey74

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 12:29 PM
a reply to: Bluesma

I cleaned a place where they fixed trucks. The lazy a holes would plug the toilets and not let anyone know. So, here I am about to flush them and up comes poopy water all over my shoes. This other time, I cleaned Centennial wireless and some nasty sob smooshed poo onto the toilet seat. It was at least an inch thick and was like dried play dough. It sucked. Didn't help they had to smear it all over the stall, too.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 12:32 PM
You have lived an interesting life Grain, have you considered writing your memoirs?

I imagine it would be an interesting read.

a reply to: grainofsand

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 12:38 PM
a reply to: nonspecific
Haha, one day maybe, but I've got more than couple of decades before I reach state pension age so hopefully a few more stories to come first!
...I really liked your story of the girl with downs syndrome, that was lovely

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 12:42 PM
I appologise, I had you older by a long shot.

I Imagined you as a retired civil servant in a smoking jacket living out his twilight years in his library with a well aged port!

The story with the down syndrome lady had a huge impact on my life.

a reply to: grainofsand

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 12:46 PM
My boss made me pick up all the cigarette butts in a small carpark. Two hours later... I finished.

From that day on I have loathed smokers. Would you just drop your cigarette butt on your floor at home? Then why do you think it is ok to drop it on the ground outside?

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 12:46 PM
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Between you and seeker1963 relating your delivery experiences, I'm sitting here laughing helplessly. That must be an interesting job to say the least.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 12:47 PM
Part of my current job involves picking up rubbish due to health reasons.

I am always aghast that people still drop littler.

a reply to: Hurky1

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 12:58 PM
Actually did laugh out loud then! Loving the image of the smoking jacket and glass of port lol.
I got out of the service after 15 years when looking around at older workers and thinking 'Ohmygosh, is that me in 20 or 30 years, grey, anaemic, whinging about targets, with a soul broken for being a good little worker bee for too long'.

Like a fool though I then joined a local government social services welfare team, and being the only male case worker I got all the rapists and sex offenders because female workers had to visit in two's so it was more efficient to use me.
I hated it to be honest, helping people who I didn't actually want to help and having to bite my tongue daily.
I lasted 18 months, then disappeared around Asia for a year to 'cleanse' myself from such emotional pollution.

...self employed plasterer these days, love it, my trowel never makes me angry, and if I don't want to work I don't

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 12:58 PM
I had to inseminate a cow, yep my hands have been in places it wish to forget

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 01:05 PM
a reply to: Indigent
Haha that's a good one!

I just mentioned this thread to one of my brothers who was in the British army, he told me he's painted brown areas of grass with green paint when preparing for a royal visit to their barracks.
He reckons the Queen must think all army bases smell of fresh paint and cleaning products.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 01:55 PM
Back when I was in high school I worked at a grocery store, and one day something happened that was not funny then, but is pretty funny now, looking back. My boss came up to me one day and said "Jiggy, do you have a strong stomach? You ever go deer hunting or anything like that?" Of course I was a bit confused, and I said "yes sir," mainly because that is what you are supposed to say in such a situation. So my boss continues, "well, I'm going to need you to clean the bathroom because someone crapped in the urinal." Of course I was a bit confused at that moment, but being a good employee I could raise no objections. I could only wonder at the audicity of such an act, and mulling over the possibilities I began to doubt that he was being sincere. Perhaps the other employees were going to throw me a surprise birthday party, and this was a design to get me to move in that general direction. No matter that it was not even close to my birthday. So I proceeded towards the bathroom with a twinkle in my eye, savoring the thought of the cake and ice cream I was about to devour. Yet no one greeted me at any time as I made my way to the restroom. They must be having the party IN the bathroom, I thought to myself. Smart. Yet upon entering the bathroom the smell quickly drew me back to reality, and out of the corner of my eye I saw my true present. I realized that my boss did not truly care for me, and that someone HAD indeed crapped in the urinal. My life changed in two ways at that point. I lost all faith in humanity, and I decided to get an education.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 02:13 PM
a reply to: JiggyPotamus

I am so sorry.

Someone was in the stall and I couldn't wait.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 02:35 PM
Years ago at uni working a Summer on the council's beach management (lifeguarding/beach litter picking/first aid/finding lost children/tourist info/painting over graffiti) there was a day when it rained hard, constantly.
The amusement arcades, bars, and donut stalls all closed as there were no tourists, so the only people on the beach were being paid for by the local tax-payer - me and and a handful of others.
While in our rain and windswept beach office I noticed a busload of tourists arrive and felt sorry for them that they came on such a terrible day. They wandered off the bus and then started throwing stones into the sea, nothing unusual I thought, but when curiosity made me grab the binoculars I saw they were stoning an injured seagull, probably injured by their stones.

I was raging and ran to the scene shouting 'stop you cruel...' through the crowd and into the sea to save the poor bird. Bird-facemask over it's head (it was common practice rescuing 'naturally' injured gulls) I walked back to the crowd shouting they should be ashamed of themselves blah, then one adult in the group said 'I didn't throw anything', to which I replied 'Yeh but you were part of the laughing group so you're as guilty', I then ranted about how we don't want horrible people on our beach so leave now before the cops get here, and other such emotionally charged comments. They got back on their bus a bit ashamed, and I got the gull to the local rescue centre.

The luckiest (or most unusual) bit of the story is that while foolishly taking on a bus load of people who were abusing an animal, on my own, I didn't get lynched. I would do the same again.
edit on 2Wed, 17 Dec 2014 14:53:08 -0600pm53122014f08pm12 by grainofsand because: Typo - handfull >> handful

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 04:49 PM
Was working for the Govt. One of my clients had a daughter in a wheel chair. She had outgrown her chair and Mum had bought a second hand one because it was the best she could do. It had a bit of rust and was basically bloody awful. Black, chrome and rust. Mum and daughter were rather stoic about it, what other choice did they have.

Back at the office, we had a wheel chair for emergency use of our clients. We would lend it out for a week or two if someone needed it. I booked it out the next day (Friday) and with Mum's permission, transferred the Daughter into it and borrowed theirs for a while.

Local paint shop did good work on cars. Owner was a member of Lions. Showed him the chair, told him what the girls favorite colors were. All of his staff stayed on Saturday afternoon, took it apart, fixed it up and then sprayed it in bands from pink to purple. They even put it through the baking oven (Whatever they are called)

They had the car upholsterer from up the street involved to replace the stained black upholstery with pretty pink. I took some photos of it. Took it back after school the following Monday. Mother and Daughter cried like there was no tomorrow.

Daughter wrote a lovely thank you note to the business. Now then, Karma got involved.

I took the lovely letter and the best photo back to the business and put it on his photo display wall without telling the boss. The receptionist thought it was a good idea.

Believe it or not, that one photo and letter, amongst all of the other photos of cars and letters increased his business to the extent that he had to take on two new apprentices. Took the boss two months to notice it was on the wall, he just never looked at it as the receptionist handled it.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 08:26 PM

I've got a couple - One mine, and one relayed to me by a friend.

In my friend's case, he got a call one day to investigate why an error occurs when you enter letter into a number box. Yes, you did hear that right: Apparently, what happened was the user didn't understand why entering a letter into the number box generated a number instead of the letter. Even I question why someone would want to do that!

For me, I worked as an intern at a cellular service business that worked on cell phones - one day, I discovered that for the phone I was working on, the only way to "fix" the phone was to go to the specific carrier, which offered a tool they use for $300. My manager first told me to investigate if there were any spots online (with a wink) where this tool could be found for...cheaper. Of course, the only other spot that had this tool was somewhere...well, that was recently invaded. When I went back to my manager, saying I cannot legally download it anywhere apart from the cellular network, he winked again and said he had all premium accounts. Went back to my desk, and only then discovered that there was terabytes of stuff on their shared servers; I left the next day, despite the job offer. And, from what I've heard, they got busted, and are no longer in business.

edit on 17/12/2014 by fossilera because:

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 12:52 AM
a reply to: TorqueyThePig

Did you help the poor raccoon?

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 01:25 AM
Probably strip searches on inmates coming back from work release.
Looking at random men's a**holes all day wasn't exactly high on my list of fun things to do.

<< 2  3  4    6 >>