It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats the most unusual thing you ever had to do at work?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 08:53 AM
link   
I worked for an antique dealer years ago and was asked by an American billionare to buy him an english windmill, dismantle it and have it put in his garden in texas!

The other one belive it or not was that I worked for an adult photographic company and part of my job was assisting the "models" when applying baby oil to there bodies to ensure even coverage.

edit on 1220141200pAmerica/Chicago2014-12-17T08:54:00-06:0054f54 by nonspecific because: (no reason given)

edit on 1220141229pAmerica/Chicago2014-12-17T09:03:29-06:0003f03 by nonspecific because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 09:00 AM
link   
I had to wait on a guy one time that had a huge cockroach crawling all over his neck and chest. I didn't understand how he couldn't feel it, but man... If there was an award for stone faced?? I would have had to win it that year. I swear it was all I could do not to say Ewwwwwwwww.... And shrink back.

Yeah... My life has been interesting. /sarcasm

Although I used to work in an ice plant and we would have to deliver 300 pound blocks of ice to be carved into whatever the client wished. Pulling into an extremely nice country club to off load it, a guy with cut off jean shorts (almost booty shorts), no shirt, with a blunt hanging out of his mouth was there to receive it. He whipped out his chainsaw and carved the most beautiful Phoenix out of that I had ever seen. I was just glad nobody would eat it with all that chest hair flying around like dust in the wind lol.

Working with the public will always have one seeing some pretty weird stuff.
edit on 12/17/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 09:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific

The other one belive it or not was that I worked for an adult photographic company and part of my job was assisting the "models" when applying baby oil to there bodies to ensure even coverage.

Pictures or it didn't happen lol

I can't think of anything unusual

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 09:01 AM
link   
That was either an accident or possibly the cleverest ATS in joke punchline ever.

That made me laugh a lot, made my day.

a reply to: SoEpic

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Removing parasites from fish before it was placed in the seafood counter at the supermarket.

If you think this is an isolated instance think again.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 09:17 AM
link   
With 10 years as a chef I can more than beleive anything that happens behind the scenes in the food industry.

a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 09:18 AM
link   

That was either an accident or possibly the cleverest ATS in joke punchline ever.

That made me laugh a lot, made my day.

a reply to: SoEpic

It was intentional
glad I made you laugh

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 09:21 AM
link   

With 10 years as a chef I can more than beleive anything that happens behind the scenes in the food industry.

Two restaurants for 13 years so I have been there and seen that too.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 09:28 AM
link   
When I worked as a paramedic, we responded to what seemed to be a very benign call for a male patient complaining of a headache. Could be anything from trauma to stroke to dehydration.

When we arrived at the patient, we began conducting a primary survey on him to see if there was anything that we could physically see causing the headache. Upon him pointing to where it hurt directly, we inspected the site by moving a good amount of long greasy hair away from the site only to find a decent sized wound...

AND ABOUT HALF A POUND OF MAGGOTS FEASTING AWAY ON HIS HEAD!

The worst part was the guy really couldn't walk and the building he was in didn't have an elevator that would fit the stretcher. So we had to use our trusty stair-chair to get him down a few flights of stairs. And yes, you guessed it, I lost the coin toss and took the head end of the chair.

Perhaps not an unusual circumstance for a paramedic, but unusually gross indeed.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 09:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Sparkymedic

You got me beat. I only had to deal with dead parasites.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I had to dewater a sinking freighter off the coast of the Dominican Republic.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Pikers.

40 years in film.

I wouldn't know where to begin.

What others would consider "unusual" were thrice daily occurrences.

Give me a category or something.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 09:39 AM
link   
I took the vacuum cleaner, once, and made sure the security cameras were not able to see me.

I took the nozzle and did things with it.

After about ten minutes, I saw the manager walk towards me, and I panicked, as i was supposed to be doing helpdesk.

He caught me, and just stared, and I was caught red handed, the nozzle in my hand, and .. well..

but man, were those floors ever so clean...

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Juicy gossip maybe?

Or worst day ever?

a reply to: Psynic

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 09:40 AM
link   
was given some grid coordinates by a staff NCO while I was a squad leader, doing land navigation (military story, obviously). plotted out the points and discovered the SNCO had given us a grid several clicks outside our training area. decided to say screw it and hike it anyway. hit point one, good to go. hiked to point two (the bad one) and learned that it was actually a little "watering hole" near a range complex. left two boots (for you non-military folks, those are the new guys) on our gear and the rest of us went in and "hydrated" ourselves. finished, came back out and finished up our land nav.

got back to our site and dropped our gear. same SNCO came over to check in, and asked two questions. "did you hit all your points?" followed up by "was it open?" and then never said a word about it afterward.

not weird, but entertaining and an awesome memory of happy times.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Only a man in a top hat could say somthing so heroic in a single line statement.

a reply to: Ceeker63

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

I worked at a recycling center in the electronics department. When ever a CRT TV screen broke I would have to put on a hasmat suit and clean the air,walls, floors and equipment to insure to poisonous chemicals could do no damage to us or our customers.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 09:47 AM
link   
My dad worked at a flooring mill as a fireman and watchman, tending the boilers. He would be working in the boiler room. There was a South American coffee beetle in the boiler room. I don't know where it came from but it was one of them. It lived there for about three years.

It would sit on top of my fathers lunchbox and stick it's arm through the handle rivets holes trying to get at his lunch. It also would walk out when he ate, then stand up and beg. He would toss it some bread and it ate with him. I went to work with him many times and it got to know me too. Nobody else saw this thing, it knew my father was his friend.

One day, I wasn't there, another fireman relieved him and he saw it on the floor in front of my father eating, he stepped on it. Boy was my father pissed, this bug kept him company for years. There was nobody else working there at night, he was all alone after that. There were also some bugs that looked like preying mantises there but they were not friendly.

I often wonder how those strange bugs got there. Maybe they got some supplies from South America and they were in the boxes. They wouldn't be able to withstand the winters outside, the boiler room was a cozy 80 degrees continuously.

I also haven't lived such an eventful life. When you find out that bugs have personalities when you are very young, you know you are a little nuts. Spiders are another creature that seem to have personalities.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Way back, I worked for a large computer company that moved its facility. Everyone was busy loading trucks with equipment. Some people used their personal vehicles to help out. Our boss had us load his van with new in the box computer products and then he drove it to his house.

We thought that was sort of weird, but then he's the boss.

One day some time later he didn't show up for work and we found out he got busted for stealing not only that van load but he was throwing computers in the dumpster out back and retrieving them at night.

That isn't the weirdest, just the first that came to mind.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 10:09 AM
link   
It's amazing what people try to pull.

I once worked for a large company and the office was over 5 floors, one floor was fully kitted out but unused.

One day a bunch of lorries turned up and 8 guys stripped out all the pc's, servers, printers, phones and furniture. It took them nearly 2 day in all.

It was nearly a month before anyone realised they were not from IT or any part of the company.

a reply to: intrptr

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join