It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Volcano Watch 2015-2021

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2017 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Thanks for sharing

posted on Jan, 15 2017 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Will there be a new thread for 2017?

If so, can you provide a link here?

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 10:04 PM
link   
a reply to: sled735
Doesnt look like it, someone added 2017 to the end of this Topic title.
please carry on here

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 10:32 PM
link   
AFPFebruary 11, 2017

A rumbling volcano on Indonesia's Sumatra island spewed clouds of smoke and ash high into the air Friday, the latest in a series of violent eruptions.
Mount Sinabung.
Farmers continue tending to their crops and people in local towns put on masks to go shopping as ash rains down from the sky.
www.yahoo.com...

volcano.si.edu...#
BNPB reported that each day during 2-7 February there were 8-12 ash-producing events with plumes rising as high as 2 km above the crater and drifting E. Pyroclastic flows traveled as far as 2 km S, SE, and E.
edit on 02000000414117 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Who is watching Iceland's volcanos?
Can they confirm the following story?
I have too much on my plate right now.

Ic eland's Four Volcanoes Showing Signs Of Activity; Scientists Predict Volcanic Eruptions Anytime Soon
edit on 02000000424217 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 02:38 PM
link   
a reply to: muzzy

These guys watch Iceland pretty close. They don't seem that alarmed.

A little while ago there was a short interview published with Professor in geophysics, Páll Einarsson. In the interview it seemed like he was stating that Bárdarbunga, Grimsvötn, Hekla and Katla all were preparing to erupt shortly.

First of all let me state that I deeply respect Páll as a geophysicist, problem is just that he is probably the most misquoted and misinterpreted scientist on the planet. The problem is that he is talking about geological timeframes and he uses words like “shortly” and “soon” in that context and then the journalist happily thinks he is talking about the next few weeks…

So it seems they are looking "soon" in the context of geology, not or more immediate understanding of it.

They attribute the seismicity of Bardy to magma leaving the chamber and the resulting lowering of the plug after the Holuhraun event. Seismic activity has since picked up again, but it looks like it's going to take quite a few years to work up to any kind of major eruption barring something unforeseen happening.

Grimsvotn has had two eruptions fairly recently out of the two reservoirs that can be farily reliably measured. One of those was in 2011 and could be called a VEI 5, so those two are still going to take some time on their clocks to recharge to anything big. However, there is another chamber that is less well known and the recent seismicity has been concentrated there under a volcano called Haabunga.

The timer for this potential is anywhere from 6 months to 100 years and no one really has a good knowledge of what it will look like since it's not well known. And for Grimsvotn proper it's again 6 months to 3 years.

Hekla is one to really watch. It is under high pressure, and apparently nearly erupted in 2013 but didn't then. Still, nothing says it absolutely will erupt in 2017, only that the pressure there is high enough that it could.

Katla is also one that is very dangerous right now. The way it is behaving it could see an eruption in the VEI4 to VEI5 range within the next 2 years according to what is known about its type of volcano unless activity there falls off considerably which could always happen.

So, there you go. I basically paraphrased the blog post for you, but I encourage you to read it. They have fun videos there showing the earthquake plots around the volcanoes.

posted on Feb, 12 2017 @ 09:42 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Thanks for the link and the summary.
Yes it looks like the TravellersToday article jumped the gun a bit. Not sure why, you could take it either way, to warn to stay away, or come quick book your tickets now for the big show.
I remember Volcano Cafe from the Hierro and Bardarbunga crisis's, not sure why I didn't have the link on my laptop.
Andrej Flis has come a long way with the 3D plots, I recognised the Bardarbunga seismic patterns right away, as I did a bit on that in 2D myself.
I get the perception of volcanic versus human time.

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 06:59 PM
link   
I wa surprised that no one started a Thread about this article.

So here it is. Hope you guys enjoy

www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 07:05 PM
link   
a reply to: crappiekat

Hi Crappie!

When Yellowstone erupts, the Volcanic winter it causes will kill off billions of people and animals.

So, no need to worry about molten carbon, it will do whatever it will do and it will not enter our history books because we won't be writing history. We will be lucky to survive it.

P

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 07:44 PM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

I know. And I won't be around when it does.

Still interesting.

Nice to see you.

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 07:52 PM
link   
a reply to: crappiekat

Nice to bump into you here as well.

And I won't be around when it does.

Well, it could be tomorrow! We just do not know. One day an entire three generations of people will go through it. Tomorrow, next week, next year or next century.

No man will know the time. There are many such super volcanoes around the world.

It only takes one!

Anything that interrupts our agriculture for more than a single year will send billions to their deaths by starvation and the calumny that will result.

P

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Etna putting on a spectacular nighttime show…

www.skylinewebcams.com...

www.ct.ingv.it...

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Etna volcanic activity update February 28, 2017
Written by Silvia Bricks
Parent category: Communication
Category: Press Notes
Created: 28 February 2017
Rome, February 28, 2017

From 18.00 (local time) yesterday, February 27, Strombolian activity of Etna to the new Southeast crater (NCSE), which began last January 23, has gradually intensified, resulting in a lava flow that, after quickly reached the base of the cone has slowly headed towards the Southwest, towards Monte Wheat on his back. The latter is currently at about 2850 m altitude a.s.l.
The Strombolian activity still binds a ash emission from NCSE which is dispersed by the wind towards the Eastern quadrant. On the towns of Zafferana and Linguaglossa was reported a modest relapse of ash.
With regard to the sudden increase of its volcanic tremor after the middling, started at 18.00 yesterday, this has more or less stabilized aggressively from 20.00 onwards, recording the highest between 23.00 and 01.00 yesterday today. In the early hours of this morning, the mean amplitude of the volcanic tremor, while remaining aggressively, showed modest fluctuations.
The ground deformations, GPS stations acquired at high sample rate, and do not show significant variations, clinometers signals associated with the intensification of eruptive activity.

Source:
comunicazione.ingv.it...

posted on Mar, 1 2017 @ 10:39 AM
link   
This was published by the Atlantic yesterday.
The Scary State of Volcano Monitoring in the United States One of the most volcanically active countries in the world is not ready for a devastating eruption. written by Adrienne LaFrance

About one-third of the active volcanoes in the U.S. have erupted—some of them repeatedly—within the past two centuries.

...“but most of the really dangerous volcanoes haven’t erupted in modern instrumental times.”

Almost half of the active volcanoes in the country don’t have adequate seismometers

Hawaii’s Kilauea, Washington’s Mt. St. Helens, and Wyoming’s Yellowstone all have extensive monitoring. But many volcanoes in the Cascades have only a couple of far-field sensors, several geologists told me. The Pacific Northwest, which includes high-population areas in close proximity to active volcanoes, is of particular concern for public safety.

Thankfully, 3 Senators that serve on the Energy and Natural Resources Committee in the Senate have proposed legislation to fund and strengthen our national volcano monitoring system.

I will be following this bill, and try to post updates, but in the meanwhile we should all call our Senators to express support for Senate Bill S.346.

posted on Mar, 16 2017 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Mt Etna

Getting too close for comfort. Yikes

www.bbc.com...

www.whio.com...
edit on 16-3-2017 by SeekingDepth because: Added pic & another article

posted on Mar, 18 2017 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Kiwi daredevil takes Google Street View inside seething Vanuatu volcano
i.stuff.co.nz...

posted on Mar, 25 2017 @ 09:19 PM
link   
You folks probably already seen this?
Not going to help Climate Change any is it?
Kambalny volcano (southern Kamchatka, Russia): first historic eruption in 250 years
www.volcanodiscovery.com...
edit on 03000000838317 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Doom predicted for Europe
or maybe not?

Flight CHAOS looms for Brits as Iceland volcanoes 'ready to BLOW' into ash cloud hell

Then at the end of the story,

But volcanologist Rymer, who says all four volcanoes are now "waking up", warns: “The increased seismicity (earthquakes) is a sign of an impending eruption and so we are on our guard.
“There certainly will be another eruption at one of these volcanoes, but at the moment we do not have an indication that this is imminent.

www.dailystar.co.uk...
I had a look at Iceland earthquake site last week and didn't see anything happening like that, in fact it looked unusually quiet.
Not sure about this "daily star" magazine, is it a tabloid trash looking for sensational headlines?
If anything is about to happen like they say I'm sure the first place that it will be reported is here on ATS

edit on 03000000868617 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 01:24 PM
link   
It's funny.

There are many times, ATS, reports things that the MSM doesn't pick up until days later.

Too busy with politics.

www.jonfr.com...

Hi muzzy. Hope all is well with you and yours.

posted on May, 2 2017 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Kick’ Em Jenny Submarine Volcano in Caribbean is Restless

Exclusion Zone for Sea Vessels for the area.

uwiseismic.com...

www.jamaicaobserver.com...;em_Jenny_volcano?profile=1228

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join