It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

do you give christmas presents early?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 09:46 PM
link   
im so bad at this.
i always give my wife her presents early cause i get excited.

we have had my daughters presents in the closet for almost 2 months and it is so hard not to give her at least one of them.

i pulled all sorts of evasive maneuvers today getting my wife her gifts.
i was super slick. i was going to wrap them and surprise her on christmas day cause i have been telling her that this year i cant get her anything cause of money and blah blah.
pretty sure she knew that was a lie.
anyway, i got home and stashed them and then about 3 hours later i gave them to her.

i suck so bad

anyone else give presents early?

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Funny you should mention this because I bought my daughter a tablet for Christmas ( with the keyboard and case in her favorite color - pink ) and had it shipped to her - as she lives in another state. She messaged me and said that she wanted to wait until Christmas to open it. I replied that I was fine with whatever she did - she could wait or not.

About two hours later I got a huge "DAD I LOVE YOU!!!" message and knew immediately that she'd opened it. LOL

That's OK though, she's got two more surprises shipping and they're not going to be there until the last few days before Christmas.

Other than that? My family is at that point where my daughter is the only one not a legal adult. My son and nephews are both over eighteen now. So our Christmas has turned into a sort of "What do you want?" thing. We basically all know what we're getting and from whom.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 09:58 PM
link   
My husband is the worst when it comes to this. There has been only one year out of 18 that he actually managed to surprise me and wait until Christmas morning to do so.

I have to constantly keep him away from being alone with our daughter a few weeks before Christmas because he will tell her what she is getting. I keep them hidden, so he can't give them, but that doesn't keep his mouth shut lol.

He gets super excited and while it is infuriating, it is also somewhat endearing... After Christmas has passed. After. Not at all during though...

edit on 12/16/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 09:59 PM
link   
my wife is impossible to hold back on with gifts. I purchased a starbucks mug for her and two weeks ago she was rambling on about buying it on a sale so I was forced to go home and give her that one gift. It's tough but not a big deal if the two of you are alright with it.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 10:03 PM
link   
My dang husband will do a prank box. I sneak peeked a box with a brick in it once.
He's diabolical.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 10:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

my wife is the only adult i buy for. i dont play that game.

kagaru, my wife tells me every day that i better not give out daughter any of her stuff.
i want to so bad though.
she is only 2 and all she wants is crayons. all i hear every day all day is 'santa crayons' which means santa is bringing crayons. i got her a monster 120 bad ass pack and i feel bad cause the thousand she already has are broken and such. she is coloring with these crayon halves and i want to give her the giant box so bad.

i got her a bunch of super cool stuff and that $5 box of crayons will be here favorite thing

i also tell other people what they are getting. sometimes my mom buys for my wife. she doe snot buy for me cause i really hate getting gifts. feel embarrased and on the spot when i have to open them.
anyway she will say 'if i tell you what i got V do you promise not to tell her'
of course i promise
then i get home and start with the 'i know what youre getting crap' and i do it and do it and do it till she breaks down and asks me to tell her

she loves it though. after i gave her the stuff she said she knew something was up and that she likes when i try to be slick and go out of my way to do things like that only to turn around and give it to her a couple hours later.

edit on 16-12-2014 by Grovit because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 10:14 PM
link   
This will be the first time I've been able to give my children presents in two years...REALLY bad divorce (I was not allowed to send them anything without fear of arrest, long story). I was finally able to talk to my kids for the first time in a year and a half. I won't get to see them until after Christmas, which puts me in the advantageous position of "cleanup Dad" and can get what they wanted but didn't receive earlier. Just talking and seeing them again is all I need or want, it's almost a Christmas miracle.

My girlfriend will get hers from me when I figure out what to get her. She's the best at buying presents and I feel like I really need something special. Something unexpected that she will love.
edit on 16-12-2014 by the owlbear because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 10:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Grovit

My oldest is 7 and I should have asked him what he DOESN'T want

The girl is 4. She wants roller skates (my parents already bought them) and a toy baby, not a real baby. She made sure to emphasize the difference.

The dog is getting his toys that I bought him her lawyer refused to take when he brought him to the dog park for a one hour visit with me as a stipulation of the divorce. Maybe some Greenies.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 10:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: the owlbear

My girlfriend will get hers from me when I figure out what to get her. She's the best at buying presents and I feel like I really need something special. Something unexpected that she will love.

you will figure it out man
just pay attention to what she says and how she reacts to things. im sure you know

my wife does not tell me what she wants.
she always says nothing. that very well may be true but she enjoys getting gifts from me.
they are always spot on.
we will be out and about and she will mention something in passing or look at something at the store a certain way and then put it down. i just file it away for retrieval later

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Meant to say that was really cute about your daughter. And I am just as bad with gift giving. I cant hold back the surprise.
Thank you for making this thread. I think I just figured it out for the gf.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 11:02 PM
link   

The story about the crayons made me smile.
My daughter just turned 17... I can still remember her "crayon" days. She's an artist now, so those crayons paid off.

It is hard to keep the surprises from your kids. I can agree with that much. I think what helped me learn how to do it was knowing that we never had a lot of money to have a ton of surprises and what little we did have... I wanted it to be extra special. Know what I mean?

But do enjoy the crayon days because it's going to get a helluva lot more expensive real soon lol. Then the tree will look almost vacant. I remember going from 30 little presents to like 7 I think she had last year. The expense though is through the roof. It just looks like so much less.

I'm waiting for all of hers to come through the mail this year. I still have about 7 games I'm hoping will make it on time.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 11:11 PM
link   

I'm just about to play the Far Cry 4 game that I am getting for christmas. The kids are with their grandparents from a couple of days so I can wrap it up later and put it under the tree. As long as I remember to delete the game files from the playstation. LOL

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 11:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kangaruex4Ewe

The story about the crayons made me smile.
My daughter just turned 17... I can still remember her "crayon" days. She's an artist now, so those crayons paid off.

But do enjoy the crayon days because it's going to get a helluva lot more expensive real soon lol. .

she loves her crayons. she has so many coloring books and she is at it all day.
she always hands me a crayon and says 'do mick' which means draw mickey mouse or 'do daisy' which means of course draw daisy.
she will hold on to a couple choice crayons all damn day. its too funny

there are a couple restaurants we go to where she gets a little kid packet with something to draw on and a couple crayons. so now if i say do you want to go eat she gets real serious and puts her index finger up and her thumb out and says 'crayons' while she nods her head..then she hauls ass to get her shoes and tells me to hurry

we are definitely enjoying the fact that we can get away with cheap stuff. the older they get the more expensive the gifts get.
she is a stinker though. she loves to play like she is making food for me and mom. so, i got her this bad ass princess kitchen. it cost 100 bucks.
we were at the store the other day and we passed by it and i pointed it out to her and said look at that zo, do you like that.
shook her head no. wanted nothing to do with it the little #.
hahahahahahaah

im telling you, out of all the stuff she got she is going to love the crayons the best. of course the coloring books in the stocking and she will probably dig her fake food. i got her this monster set with everything in it.
its going to be all over the house.

she is a gear head like daddy too. i got her a slot car track. she is going to like that too i think.

im getting excited. i might have to set the slot cars up in the back room so we can race tomorrow

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 11:24 PM
link   
a reply to: weirdguy

my wife is a gamer too.
only nintendo 3ds though.
i got her some of her fav perfume but it was all about the games.

hooked her up with zelda acarina of time and zelda a link between worlds
also, tomadachi life, animal crossing, and fantasy life.
she loves that stuff
plays online with all her crochet buddies.....

leaves me plenty of time to watch movies

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 11:36 PM
link   

You better leave them cars where they are lol... Mom isn't going to be happy.
You only have 8 days left. You can do it!!

Keep her interested in those crayons and art though. It might be a true passion. My daughter was the same way and now when she isn't gaming she is drawing. And she draws more than anything else. She's so much better than I am it is unreal. I have thought about posting some of it here from time to time but figured since it wasn't mine, It may not be a good thing. Drawing has kept her (I'm sure of it) out of trouble and interested in a career instead of boys and dating.

As a father.. I think you can agree that's worth every damn crayon in the world lol.

You could always do like we did. Buy something kind of good but not as good as her other gifts and let her open that one on Christmas Eve. That's one day early at any rate. We've always done that and my daughter still begs to do it even at this age.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 11:43 PM
link   
If I happen to get a gift - which isn't very often - I'll open it as soon as I get it. I don't understand the waiting until Christmas morning unless you are a kid or something. But to each their own.

If my mother is speaking to me, (depends on her mood) she sends me an envelope with 25$ in it. No surprise there.

My husband will get me something that I tell him I want or need. So no surprise there.

My former best friend sends a box of goodies every year. I told her five years ago that I can't eat them because of my SJogrens but she continues to send them anyways. Seeing the box just depresses me and reminds me that I'm too sick to enjoy goodies anymore. (I stopped speaking to her five years ago ... but that's for another story)

I have one or two other folks who will sporadically gift give once in a while. But that's it. And if those come I open them right away.

edit on 12/16/2014 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 11:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kangaruex4Ewe
Drawing has kept her (I'm sure of it) out of trouble and interested in a career instead of boys and dating.

As a father.. I think you can agree that's worth every damn crayon in the world lol.

You could always do like we did. Buy something kind of good but not as good as her other gifts and let her open that one on Christmas Eve. That's one day early at any rate. We've always done that and my daughter still begs to do it even at this age.

yeah. she can have every crayon, marker, colored pencil, chalk, charcoal, india ink, whatever if she stays away from the heathens.
we are going to to the gift on christmas eve too. that was always a tradition when i was a kid.

i would love for her to be interested in art as a long term hobby or career.
its too early to tell right now.

im hoping for something to do with science or math. she loves looking up at the stars with me. always says space and the sun is hot..she loves to look at the moon.
im trying to get her interested in all that

when it is really windy outside she will say 'its windy' and i will say 'zo, how do you know the wind is blowing'
and she says 'leaves windy'
i love it
2 years old and knows the wind is blowing cause the leaves are moving.

she is a major gear head though. she loves to watch monster trucks with me. and rock crawlers and super cross and nitro meth funny cars.
she has hundreds of hot wheels cars and various size monster trucks.
she loves 'scoopin trucks' which is any kind of crane or excavator. when we are out and about she starts bugging out if she sees one.

before she was born i ran an excavator for a while. just an interim thing but i wish i was still there. i think she would get a kick out of getting in the cab of the excavator with dad and throwing cars around.

hard to say.
maybe she will be an artistic, mechanic, mathematician, theoretical physicist.
i could live with that

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Sometimes, we'll exchange gifts with family or friends we otherwise won't be seeing until after the holiday, but that's about it. And of course, usually some work gift activities going on....

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I don't "get" the gift from my husband early.

I just get clues, which usually give it away about a week before. He can't be quiet about it, to save his life.
When the boys were little, we always opened one on Christmas eve, but that was it.
Now that they are older, yeah, it's "what do you need?" Plus, the "man" kit, they get every year, so they don't stink, LOL
I didn't get it one year, and they were actually disappointed.

And with having the grandson's, I'm still making them wait.

I love torturing the family! I don't even put the presents out, until Christmas eve.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Growing up, my mom always let me and my three younger siblings open one gift on Christmas Eve. It would be one box with new pajamas, a bag of popcorn, a book, a Christmas movie, candy, and a new Christmas ornament. We always looked foreword to it. It's a tradition that I plan to pass on when I have a family of my own.

This year, we're doing Christmas with my boyfriends dad, stepmom, sister and her kids on Christmas. And I'm so happy I don't see her kids all the time, I mean.. I love them, but I would have given them their bags of gifts early. There's one thing in both of the boys bags that I am so excited for them to see. They really like superheroes. Their favorites are The Hulk and Ironman. They also LOVE Toy Story. Well, I found Mister Potato Heads that are superhero editions. One is the Hulk, and has the Hulk hair, and it's arms are big green muscle-y hulk arms, and the legs are, too. And the Ironman one is just wearing the Ironman armor. They are adorable, and I'm sure that they will LOVE them. I'm so excited to see the look on their faces when they open them.

The day after Christmas, we're doing Christmas with boyfriends mom, sister, her husband, his brother, his niece and her boyfriend. I probably would have given them their gifts early, too. I got his sisters husband The Endless River Pink Floyd CD, and I preordered it so he gets a tee shirt, the CD, and a DVD. He's gonna be so excited. I just love seeing everyones faces light up when they get things that they really truly like.

And on a completely different angle than this, my boyfriend told me what he was getting me, and then put it in the back on the closet and told me I can't have it until Christmas. It's a Wii U. I cannot wait.

join