It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Us To North Korea-Swap For Nuclear Program?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2004 @ 09:32 PM
link   
In an effort to get North Korea to attend talks about dropping any nuclear program, the USA is considering hefty incentives. These include, but are not limited to: energy aid, security, and removal from a list of states which sponsor terrorism. North Korea had stopped attending the meetings earlier this year.

www.iht.com
SEOUL-- North Korea can expect a range of benefits if it drops its nuclear arms programs, a U.S. official knowledgeable about talks with the Communist regime said Thursday, as he called for the North to return to nuclear negotiations.
"We are talking permanent, thorough, transparent denuclearization, that is subject to verification," the official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, said at a meeting with journalists. He ruled out offering any incentives to bring Pyongyang back to the six-party talks, however.
He added that if Pyongyang denuclearizes, it could expect "a rich basket" of "corresponding measures," including energy aid and assistance in joining international financial institutions. The official also said that North Korea would be offered multilateral security assurances and could be removed "very quickly" from the U.S. list of states that sponsor terrorism.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

There are six nations who were in talks, now stalled. These talks were intended to try to get North Korea to abandon any nuclear program. Prior to the US elections, talks were suspended. In an effort to jump-start them, the US is hinting at huge incentives.

I realize that is is an important issue and any program that can help that nation overcome it's problems will be welcomed especially by it's citizens. but I have to question the amount of assistance unless the cost is to be Internationally shared.

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 12-12-2004 by Banshee]

[edit on 12-12-2004 by Spectre]

posted on Dec, 12 2004 @ 11:00 PM
link   
As much as I hate to see this I think its best to give in... A military answer would be bad for everyone...

posted on Dec, 12 2004 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Give in! We're the one's who screwed everything up!

Yeah, we need to belly up or let the Asian community take care of this as they are most able to do. That's the only two alternatives short of causing a conflict.

posted on Dec, 12 2004 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Makes a ton of sense from this administration doesn't it? Talk about a bunch of lying hypocrites. Going into Iraq for...what reason was it? And now appeasement for North Korea.

No wonder the world hates us, politics in this country have gone completely nuts, and it's easy to see that the reasons are money motivated. If N. Korea sat on large oil reserves instead of Iraq, it would be a different story. And yet, people still mindlessly support this administration for absolutely no valid reason...

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 03:43 AM
link   
Does anyone else find it strange that by giving up their nuclear programmes they will be taken off a list of countries that support terrorism?

Does that mean they were never supporting terrorism then? It was all lies? So countries that are seeking nuclear capability are considered automatically to be supporting terrorism. I just find it very bizzare.

More lies about a country anyone?

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 03:59 AM
link   
North Korea's (Dear Leader) is not about to give into the West's democratic ideas. The Dear Leader is not going to give up his swashbuckling style and his funky jumpsuits. For someone who preaches that the West is a cesspool, he sure enjoys the decadence of our culture. I feel sorry for those who are under his control and tyranical style. It reminds me of the U.S. in a way: He makes sure that he and his cronies control everything even the basic needs to support life. Those who are in his way or present a threat get shoved out of the way or bumped off!

new topics

top topics

join