It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mountain Lion Killed in Kentucky

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 11:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: charlyv
It is hard to believe that they did not have the resources to get those tranquilizers there stat. and stay, guarding the tree until they arrived. The cat would not come down as long as they were there. All effort to preserve that animal's right to live should have been exercised and it could have been relocated to a habitat that could support it.

I'm told by a retired Fish & Wildlife officer that the nearest "shooter" (trained on the tranquilizer gun) was about two hours away and it was beginning to get dark.
Yes, it is possible the cat would have remained in the tree but all it would have taken was one small thing to spook it and it would have melted into the landscape. The landscape in this situation is a subdivision. Public safety will always trump animal welfare.
Can you imagine the headlines had they not taken the measures they did and that cat slipped away from them then pounced on a child or pet?

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 09:25 AM
link   
A few years back a Mountain Lion kitten was killed on a Kentucky road. After authorities did DNA testing, it was found that one of it's parents was an Eastern Cougar (endangered species), while it's other parent was of South American lineage (an x-pet). Now, if I know this from the little bit of research that I have done over the last two years then the Kentucky F&W should have known or did know. If in this case, DNA shows Eastern Cougar lineage don't expect it to be publicized.

So, they may have knowingly broken federal law to appease the locals. As a previous poster noted, here in PA they treat witnesses with disdain and will not acknowledge the truth. They don't want to deal with an endangered species.

On the positive side, these animals don't care what our Game Commission thinks and are alive and well. Take comfort in this fact. From the photo, this cat appears to be a LARGE HEALTHY male. It was probably hunting dogs; I think they can cover 20 miles in a night (I know it was daytime)

We also have another big cat in the Eastern US. The Wampus Cat of Cherokee legend. This cat has been seen twice on my farm. Once by my timbercutter (2005) and once by my neighbor (2012). Both men are credible, experienced woodsmen. I have measured a cat track 3 5/8" across (juvenile Wampus or cougar) which was located in the center of a Whitetail deer scrape. It was very clean, wide and with no claw marks (definitely a cat). According to the books the track was too large for a bobcat. Witnesses have stated that the Wampus cat is black with a LARGE head versus the small head of a mountain lion. The description matches that of a Black (melanistic) Jaguar. The website for the Illionois Natural History Museum states that they have fossil evidence of tracks and a jaw indicating that Jaguars ranged as far north as PA during the last ice age and were larger than in S. America (to 350 lbs., WOO HOO!) With the myriad of sightings (search "black panther sightings") there MUST be a relict population.

We cannot kill nature, only ourselves. All is well, there are many good things to come.
WOO HOO!!!

I apologize for a lack of links, but if I can find it you can too (bad andy)

edit on 16-3-2015 by andycrash77 because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-3-2015 by andycrash77 because: only typos, errors

<< 2  3  4   >>

join